After the RNY: When did your patterns normalize?

Options
2»

Replies

• KimShea01
    KimShea01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm post RNY about maybe 10 or 12 years. I still cannot eat as much volume wise as I could pre-op. I could maybe eat more close to normal person portions after a couple of years, but still not a large volume to this day. If I get a small burger, with bun, for example, I can maybe eat half. My thinking is that if you need to increase calories at this point, increase frequency of eating rather than volume at meal times. Multiple small meals or snacks a day, with a few hours between. Careful tracking of macros.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... I have researched bariatric surgery some... there are some doctors that think it might help readjust the BF set point after surgery. Maybe... your body has hit comfortable weight. That and with the restricted stomach size, might be why you have trouble taking on more calories. Many body builders in a massing phase talk about having to just eat plain "junk" to get enough calories in at the end of a bulk.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    A frequent topic on here is from people seemingly struggling to eat their allocated number of calories. The usual response seems to be to eat calorie dense foods and peanut butter gets mentioned a lot. If you're trying to eat more calories but struggling with volume, because your stomach hasn't stretched post-surgery, would these more dense food items help? If so, I'm sure someone has a link to the list of calorie dense foods. If nothing else, they'd be better than protein shakes. I hope you get more responses from people who are really able to help.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am over 5 years out from WLS (sleeve) and I have been in this group from the beginning, they are very helpful, honest, and informative and speak from experience.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

I still can't eat the amount of food I could pre-op, but I can eat about a cup full volume wise, or when it's richer or more dense food like meat I can eat maybe 5 ounces. On days when I struggle to get my calories, I might add something more calorie dense like peanut butter, avocado, protein bars, real cream in my coffee, maybe add a tablespoon of butter or olive oil to my cooking, things like that - low volume calorie dense foods can help fill in the gap.