Plateau

Hi there, I started my weight loss journey on jan 1st at 12.4lbs. I'm 5'10 so fairly tall and aimed for a 2lb a week loss. However, I was finding after a few weeks I wasn't losing at all. I've never had a gain but plenty of weeks where I've not lost either. So I decided to reduced my aimed weekly weight loss to increase my calories from 1200 to 1410. I then noticed the pounds slowly shifting to the point where I am now 11.3lbs. But once again, I've found my weight loss has slowed again and I'm plateauing again. So my question is.. My should I carry on as I am or look to decrease my calories back down to 1200?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Do you use a food scale, weighing all your food, and logging it all religiously? No skipping, cheating, or forgetting? If no, start there.

At 5'10, you should be able to eat significantly more than 1400 calories and lose. (I'm 5'9, and can lose on 2000 calories per day.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • lucymann001
    lucymann001 Posts: 8 Member
    I started at 12st 4lbs
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Wait, what weight did you start at?

Yeah I was confused too but maybe she means stone? I don't know how else to interpret such low numbers lol.
  • quiksylver296
    I assumed she meant stones, not pounds, @RelCanonical.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2019
    I assumed she meant stones, not pounds, @RelCanonical.

I thought she meant 124 pounds, and I was like gurrrrrl. I didn't realize you could write stones in that way, I've only seen it written out, haha.
  • lucymann001
    Yeah, sorry I meant stones and pounds ☺️
    I track everything and eat only within my calorie allowance.
  • quiksylver296
    Yeah, sorry I meant stones and pounds ☺️
    I track everything and eat only within my calorie allowance.

But do you use a food scale? Did you look at the link I posted upthread?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • lucymann001
    I buy meals with the calories displayed and I track and plan every day so I don't use a food scale as I have no need to ☺️
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I buy meals with the calories displayed and I track and plan every day so I don't use a food scale as I have no need to ☺️

Everything you eat is single serving? No cereal, salad, peanut butter, nuts, pork chops, chicken breast...?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You should not be aiming for 2 pounds a week. That rate of loss has nothing to do with height. So do not lower your daily calories. I am not sure of your goal weight but you should probably only be losing about 1 pound a week which you are currently in the ballpark of doing.

It is possible that your meals have a higher sodium content and it is helping to mask some of your fat loss. You should also know that weight fluctuations are normal and for some people can mask fat weight loss for an extended period of time.

Check out this link:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

If possible you might want to get a food scale and periodically verify that your meals add up to what they say they should be.

• NovusDies
    MikePTY wrote: »
    2 pounds was always too aggressive for your weight, and especially is now. For those who don't do stone well, she is 157 pounds, which at 5'10" is in the middle of a healthy BMI. If you try to lose any further, you should be aiming for a half a pound a week of weight loss. Maybe even focus on a recomp. I would not cut your calories any further.

I didn't check where her BMI was for her current stats.

OP, your body is only physically capable of metabolizing a certain amount of fat each day to make up for your calorie deficit. That limit decreases when you have much less to lose. When you exceed that limit your body will begin to burn muscle and that is not what you want.

As @MikePTY suggests if you are going to try and lose more drop to .5 pounds per week or shift your focus to recomp.
  • quiksylver296
    MikePTY wrote: »
    2 pounds was always too aggressive for your weight, and especially is now. For those who don't do stone well, she is 157 pounds, which at 5'10" is in the middle of a healthy BMI. If you try to lose any further, you should be aiming for a half a pound a week of weight loss. Maybe even focus on a recomp. I would not cut your calories any further.

Good catch.

I agree with recomp at this point if you aren't happy with how your body is looking, @lucymann001. Eat at maintenance and lift heavy (for you).
  • NovusDies
    You will hit plateaus in your journey quite often so keep changing things up to see what works the best. Change how many carbs you eat and the time of day you eat them. Change the intensity or type of workouts when you hit plateaus. Your body will start to become really accustomed to your workout routine if you do the same workout at the same time everyday. Keep your body guessing and keep it interesting. It will be hard but try not to focus on the scale as much as how you feel. If you are feeling good and your strength and endurance are increasing then what the scale says shouldn't matter. Great job on what you have accomplished so far keep it up!!!

You can't confuse your body. It does what it does. What you think works only momentarily changes some weight fluctuations and that has nothing to do with real weight loss.
  • lucymann001
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I reset my goal and that dropped my calorie intake by 100 calories. I didn't know to reset it but I read after a 10lb loss you should recalculate so having done that now I shall continue onwards ☺️
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I reset my goal and that dropped my calorie intake by 100 calories. I didn't know to reset it but I read after a 10lb loss you should recalculate so having done that now I shall continue onwards ☺️

So how many calories are you going to be eating, and how many lbs per week is that supposed to be?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

you must have missed the questions about your food intake - is everything you eat truly single serving with calories listed? no chicken breast? banana? apple? grapes? steak?
  • lucymann001
    Because of the nature and hours of my job, I buy meals that either go in the oven or microwave and have the calories for that meal listed on the front. As for breakfast and snacks and coffee throughout the day, I know they calorie value for them all so it is very easy to stay on track.