Plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• lucymann001
    lucymann001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As it stands, as I am near my first goal of 11st, I decided to review my goal. I'd like to get to 10st 7lbs and I'm aiming to lose 1-1.5lbs a week and it has now calculated a daily calorie count of 1310.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Even single serve packaged meals can be off in terms of weight. I've had some that were a little under, were on the money, and many that were over (esp enough to make a calorie difference).
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    As it stands, as I am near my first goal of 11st, I decided to review my goal. I'd like to get to 10st 7lbs and I'm aiming to lose 1-1.5lbs a week and it has now calculated a daily calorie count of 1310.

it was also recommended earlier that you opt for 0.5lb/week (I think that's .25 stones/week??) given you are already in the middle of the healthy BMI for your height?

though there are clearly logging issues if you are not losing (or it's just a natural time of the month water retention period and you are in fact loosing).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

As pretty much everyone who responded suggested, I would strongly advise slowing down that rate of loss. And if you continue to stay stalled, you might want to reconsider how sure of your logging you are. Packaged foods do not necessarily weigh what the serving size says, and eyeballing or remembering portion size is notoriously ineffective, even for trained professionals.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

And please keep in mind, MFP's calorie goal is before exercise, you are supposed to log exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. Best of luck.
  • lucymann001
    lucymann001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    quiksylver296 I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say my op implies I am not?
    Not what? 🤔
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    quiksylver296 I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say my op implies I am not?
    Not what? 🤔

I think she means the bolded part - "staying on track" - you claim you know the calories in everything so you don't have to weigh things and say this is working for you, all while saying it is not working because you have hit a plateau.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    At your current height and weight, you should expect many "plateaus" because you do not have a lot to lose.

There is great advice in this thread, but all of it is predicated on whether you are accurately measuring and logging. From your responses, it appears that you might be close if single serving packaged food is all you eat and if the labels are accurate (a dubious assumption).

Your resistance to using a food scale is common. But it will most likely open your eyes when you get one and use it meticulously.

You cannot effectively make adjustments that make sense if you don't. You can only guess. And guessing based on notoriously ineffective ways to measure introduces more likely errors in your process.

Why not take the step with the food scale? For me, I've found that if I had to pick between a food scale and bathroom scale and could only have one, I would pick the food scale every single time.