Struggling with protein during holidays

Options
So I’m in a dilemma because I still want to stick to my calories during the holidays. But by sticking to my calories I can’t reach my normal protein levels which are between 100-110g. Normally I eat my own food but right now that relatives are over during Easter holidays I’m eating other food which has more calories. Is it okay to just hit 80-90g of protein as long as I hit my protein goals. It’s only for a week.

Replies

• JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A week of anything is "okay", it's not going to kill you. If you want a higher protein percentage, put more protein available on your plate. If Easter dinner is ham, potatoes, veggies, etc, nix the potatoes and double or triple up on ham. Easy.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Not a problem at all. Depending on your goals, 80-90 grams would probably be fine on a regular basis. But certainly for a week it's no big deal.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    A week of anything is "okay", it's not going to kill you. If you want a higher protein percentage, put more protein available on your plate. If Easter dinner is ham, potatoes, veggies, etc, nix the potatoes and double or triple up on ham. Easy.

You could do that but then you wouldn't be eating any delicious potatoes. I also think it is a bad idea to try and maintain that level of food management. Even eating important things like protein should have a moderation tag.

Completely disagree, but it depends mostly on your mental attitude. Honestly I feel extremely proud and triumphant for passing on delicious but unhealthy foods and opting for something that is going to fuel and nourish my body.

Your body doesn't need or even use 100 percent of whatever you think healthy and nourishing is. Also, potatoes are hardly unhealthy.

If you enjoy your choices and they don't cause you any problems then that is great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You could do that but then you wouldn't be eating any delicious potatoes. I also think it is a bad idea to try and maintain that level of food management. Even eating important things like protein should have a moderation tag.

Completely disagree, but it depends mostly on your mental attitude. Honestly I feel extremely proud and triumphant for passing on delicious but unhealthy foods and opting for something that is going to fuel and nourish my body.

How exactly are potatoes unhealthy...potatoes are jam packed with nutrition.
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's interesting how you're assuming I'm calling potatoes unhealthy here... this is a stupid conversation but nonetheless OP said they were concerned about getting enough protein during a family dinner. My suggestion was take out a filling carb and replace it with more protein that is available to them.

• NovusDies
    Options

Your body doesn't need or even use 100 percent of whatever you think healthy and nourishing is. Also, potatoes are hardly unhealthy.

If you enjoy your choices and they don't cause you any problems then that is great.

I never said it did? But it 100% affects my mental state. And speaking personally, trying to fine-tune myself from 20% to 18% body fat, yes, the little things start to matter.

A potato on it's own isn't inherently "evil", no, but if we're talking your grandmothers famous butter-smashed potatoes with whole milk and sour cream... you're getting into the weeds here for the sake of digging your heels in. ;)

Butter, milk, and sour cream all have macros and nutrients your body needs.

The only thing that actually matters for your fine-tuning is a calorie deficit. You could eat a diet of all whatever you think evil food is and if you are in a deficit you will lose fat.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm heading into Passover now. The only grain I can have is quinoa (unless dealing with matzo meal—ie matzo that has been ground down to powder and then used in place of flour). Culturally, we don't eat legumes—including green beans, peanuts, and legume derivatives like tofu or tempeh—or most seeds. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Which makes my protein options dairy, eggs, nuts, and quinoa for eight days. I deal, but since I feel fullest on a mix of protein and fiber, I'm totally expecting increased hunger.

Not much I can really do except try to stay on-track and if I fall, get back on after the holiday.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

Potatoes are like crazy healthy.

More potassium than a banana, 30% of you RDA for B6, 50% RDA for vitamin C, good source of fiber and iron, and actually pretty decent source of protein for a vegetable.

Had some today :smile:. Honestly I wish I would incorporate them more into my diet but I'm not great with cooking them.
  • NovusDies
    Options

It's interesting how you're assuming I'm calling potatoes unhealthy here... this is a stupid conversation but nonetheless OP said they were concerned about getting enough protein during a family dinner. My suggestion was take out a filling carb and replace it with more protein that is available to them.

It is not stupid. Unlike you some people go too far with "healthy" eating and macro management and it causes them to fail to achieve their goals. Learning to relax is very important for some people.

I like the analogy that our body has a nutrition well. Once that well is full it doesn't matter what else you eat. There is no bonus health level.