Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I didn't know at the time.
    Just noticed lots of changes followed by nothing.
    Then all those changes started to make sense.
    They can do a blood test but here in the UK they prefer to wait a bit.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here ever had cold flashes? I have been getting these frequently at night. Seems to be the exact opposite of hot flashes.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My gynecologist told me I was in peri menopause when I was 45. I am 50 now not 51 as I posted earlier. Another symptom “head case” forgetful...
    I’m not sure if I would classify this as cold sweats but in evening about 3 hours or so before bed I get very cold.
    Waiting for this misery to end!
  • gingerluken
    gingerluken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just came across this thread while tracking my food and thought I'd chime in since I can relate to so many of your comments. I will be 49 this year. My periods have been like clockwork up until about 3 years ago. Since then, they have been sporadic, heavy, and just plain horrible. My gyno said I have about 1-2 more years until I reach Menopause.
    I experience all of the symptoms (hot flashes, night sweats, etc) and can totally deal with most of them. What I can't deal with is the weight gain, which is why I started tracking on my fitness pal again. I lost 19 lbs with weight watchers almost 2 years ago but have gained about half back in the last 6 months. I'm desperate to find the right 'diet' to help get my hormone levels back so I can start losing again. I've tried counting macros and am now thinking about trying the keto diet and/or intermittent fasting.
    First, is anyone experiencing weight gain while being in periomenopause and were you successful with a certain eating plan? if so, what has worked for you?
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I’m 41 and slowly pulling into the station... I still have regular cycles but I see to be showing other signs. However, I do keto and supposedly that’s supposed to limit some of the symptoms 🤷🏻‍♀️

Right now I’m struggling with insanely dry hands ....
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So I went to the doctor and actually saw her Nurse Practitioner, whom I love, and she gave me lots of options. I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but we decided on trying a product called Relizen which is a Swedish Bee Pollen.

https://hellobonafide.com/products/relizen?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oz4_--T4QIVQbXACh1caAr9EAAYASAAEgIS0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone used it? She told me it's been used in Europe for a good 2 decades with great success. Unfortunately it takes awhile to work up to helping, like a month or two, but I'm much happier to give another non hormone treatment a try rather than hormones or antidepressants.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    So I went to the doctor and actually saw her Nurse Practitioner, whom I love, and she gave me lots of options. I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but we decided on trying a product called Relizen which is a Swedish Bee Pollen.

https://hellobonafide.com/products/relizen?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oz4_--T4QIVQbXACh1caAr9EAAYASAAEgIS0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone used it? She told me it's been used in Europe for a good 2 decades with great success. Unfortunately it takes awhile to work up to helping, like a month or two, but I'm much happier to give another non hormone treatment a try rather than hormones or antidepressants.

My gyno recommended this. I haven't tried it but if you do, let us all know how it works!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever had cold flashes? I have been getting these frequently at night. Seems to be the exact opposite of hot flashes.

Apologies for the slow & out of sequence reply. Yes! It is the weirdest thing, and it does feel like thermal disregulation, like I just can't get my core temperature up. Now, a year after first experiencing that, I think I may have had a couple hot flashes, too, although they're not too pronounced. That may not even be what it is. E.g. yesterday I was sitting in the same room with DH and asked if he thought it was cold in the room. No, he didn't. I was freezing and about to grab another layer to put on when I instantly became warm. Like in a flash. That lasted a couple minutes then cold again. Really strange.

I came back to this thread, though, because I remember some of you saying you had perpetual PMS without the period? I went 100 days without in 2018 but then back to normal cycles so far this year. I thought I was having a normal cycle with ovulation-like cramps but that was 3 weeks ago and no period. I'm starting to feel a little freaked out about having the sensation of period about to start any minute for more than a week solid. I would feel reassured if anyone has experienced similar. :flowerforyou:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Yes, I go through the "usual stuff" as though my period is going to start ... but most of the time now, it doesn't. :) I'm hoping that eventually all the "usual stuff" will ease off.
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always say it but HRT has been a miracle for me. I've been on it two years, I'm my old self now, loads of energy, no sweats or foggy head, I'm 51 and its literally saved me.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I always say it but HRT has been a miracle for me. I've been on it two years, I'm my old self now, loads of energy, no sweats or foggy head, I'm 51 and its literally saved me.

Unfortunately ... it could kill me. Blood clots. So I've had to go it alone, as it were.

But if it works for some, that's great!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Yes, I go through the "usual stuff" as though my period is going to start ... but most of the time now, it doesn't. :) I'm hoping that eventually all the "usual stuff" will ease off.

And then sometimes ... it does. Is It Over Yet? Nope ... apparently not.
  • garber6th
    Options
    My gyno told me that the frequency and duration of my cycle would gradually decrease, that it isn't normal for your cycle to just stop, but that's exactly what happened to me. I am hoping I don't get surprised at some point but then again I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

I suggested Relizen a few pages back,it worked for me but is kind of pricey,I need to get back on it though cuz I'm going thru heck again and feel awful
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »

I suggested Relizen a few pages back,it worked for me but is kind of pricey,I need to get back on it though cuz I'm going thru heck again and feel awful

@whitpauly , @AgileK9 .
    Is it a bee pollen in general that's supposed to be helpful, or something special about that one in particular? Asking because i bought bee pollen at the local market a while ago and i have been talking it.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »

@whitpauly , @AgileK9 .
    Is it a bee pollen in general that's supposed to be helpful, or something special about that one in particular? Asking because i bought bee pollen at the local market a while ago and i have been talking it.

Not sure, I think this blend is swedish bee pollen extracted especially so there's no allergens in it but I've googled and supposedly just regular bee pollen is supposed to be good for hormones too, Relizen also has a product for PMS called Serenol,it has chromium(I think alot!) The pollen and royal jelly,I didn't like it much cuz it made me feel kind of weird but I also maybe didn't give it long enough,the 1,000 mg of chromium scared me haha
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    My gyno told me that the frequency and duration of my cycle would gradually decrease, that it isn't normal for your cycle to just stop, but that's exactly what happened to me. I am hoping I don't get surprised at some point but then again I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened!

I also thought it was supposed to be the case where things gradually wind down, but at least among my close friends (and a few posts I've seen here), a common experience seems to be a lengthy hiatus with an occasional episode of bleeding again.
  • garber6th
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I also thought it was supposed to be the case where things gradually wind down, but at least among my close friends (and a few posts I've seen here), the common experience seems to be a lengthy hiatus with an occasional episode of bleeding again.

How lengthy of a hiatus? My periods just stopped over two years ago and since then nothing but the hot flashes.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I also thought it was supposed to be the case where things gradually wind down, but at least among my close friends (and a few posts I've seen here), the common experience seems to be a lengthy hiatus with an occasional episode of bleeding again.

How lengthy of a hiatus? My periods just stopped over two years ago and since then nothing but the hot flashes.

Well, once you hit a year you are officially considered menopausal, so I would assume that's the end of it. Very fortunate for you! :) I was referring to women going a few months only to have it pop up again.