Git yer Potassium Up!

13»

Replies

• franniwi
    franniwi Posts: 9 Member
    A pound of round radishes is about 73 calories and a boatload of potassium. Boil up a bag, or roast them, they lose that strong peppery flavor when cooked.
  • ercarta
    ercarta Posts: 74 Member
    franniwi wrote: »
    A pound of round radishes is about 73 calories and a boatload of potassium. Boil up a bag, or roast them, they lose that strong peppery flavor when cooked.

Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about! Love radishes, I eat ‘em cold. 👍🏼
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    spinach is a good one. I will throw it in everywhere when my husband is away, otherwise he freaks out that he has to look at spinach weirdo
  • ercarta
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    spinach is a good one. I will throw it in everywhere when my husband is away, otherwise he freaks out that he has to look at spinach weirdo

😆😜

I’m feeling collard greens of late. Never had ‘em, now I can’t get enough when I do.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Blackstrap molasses, which I enjoy in my oatmeal, has 730mg per tablespoon, in the brand I prefer (. . . but it's an Evil Added Sugar, so others will tell you to avoid it ;) ).

So eat the molasses straight. Sugar is intrinsic to the molasses, not added. It's only "added" if you add it something else, like oatmeal. (All the Food Evil comes from mixing things, like how water stops being water if you put a tea bag or a little caramel color and some carbon dioxide in it.) (Those little kids who don't want their mashed potatoes to touch their peas know what they're doing.)

:smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Many things contain potassium that may not be listed in the info of their database item. I personally get more than enough potassium because I eat a lot of tomatoes. Most plants contain some, so if you eat a lot of vegetables, you're set. It's also in dairy, grains, fish, beans, meat... there are at least trace amounts of it in almost every food. If you're eating enough calories you most likely don't need to worry about potassium.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Any fruit, vegetable, dairy, bean/legume has potassium. You can also Google, "Potassium rich foods" for a definitive list.

As was stated upthread, the database doesn't necessarily have the potassium entered. Most of the database entries are User submitted and it isn't a labeling requirement.

I have vetted my foods. The foods I use on a regular basis I have checked the nutrition against the USDA database. I then entered the food myself and kept it private as one of MY FOODS. That way I have all the nutrition tracking entered the way I want it.

Can you use those foods you entered yourself and saved in my foods in the recipe builder? I use entries I've double checked but having to find them again every time I input a new recipe is a pain!

It's helpful to use a code on your privately entered foods. All of my foods start with SQ, so when I want to add one to a recipe I start my search keywords with that code and it comes up easily when the database is being stupid. When the database isn't being stupid, searching for the name of a food that I also have in my personal foods leads to my personal entry being at the top of the search list. :)
  • ercarta
    Any fruit, vegetable, dairy, bean/legume has potassium. You can also Google, "Potassium rich foods" for a definitive list.

As was stated upthread, the database doesn't necessarily have the potassium entered. Most of the database entries are User submitted and it isn't a labeling requirement.

I have vetted my foods. The foods I use on a regular basis I have checked the nutrition against the USDA database. I then entered the food myself and kept it private as one of MY FOODS. That way I have all the nutrition tracking entered the way I want it.

Can you use those foods you entered yourself and saved in my foods in the recipe builder? I use entries I've double checked but having to find them again every time I input a new recipe is a pain!

It's helpful to use a code on your privately entered foods. All of my foods start with SQ, so when I want to add one to a recipe I start my search keywords with that code and it comes up easily when the database is being stupid. When the database isn't being stupid, searching for the name of a food that I also have in my personal foods leads to my personal entry being at the top of the search list. :)

Clever @Susieq_1994!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    ercarta wrote: »

Clever @Susieq_1994!

Ha, thank you. Not necessarily clever, though; I've just been here for a while! Got the idea from someone else, but I don't remember who anymore. :)