Less Alcohol - April 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I woke up feeling angry and disappointed after drinking yesterday. It's been about a month straight. So for the first time I said "screw it" and dumped half a bottle of rum down the drain just now. Goodbye rum, hello new day! Time to take myself and my goals seriously.

(I tried to post a picture but it wont let me)
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    April accountability ~25 days so far
    No Alcohol: 9 days
    Alcohol: 16 days (33 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    What a big change in my life … 2016-2018 I could not count my AF days … it was 2-5 glasses per night or other drink usually 6-7 nights per week. Loving the change I’ve made in 2019 and it is helping the numbers on the scale go down.

Challenging week ahead. Less than stellar start for the month. Ended up 1 day short of my goal for the week.
    Apr 1 - AF
    Apr 2 - AF
    Apr 3 - 2 glasses of wine. Dinner at home with DH instead of going to new bar with Sisters Who Sip.
    Apr 4 - 1 glass of wine w/ DH and 2 at Bunco. Slipped on that daily goal! Bunco: Plan 1 glass wine I’ve got to learn to stop at 1 at social events when there are multiple open bottles!
    Apr 5 - 3 glasses of wine (did not start with the beer before hand with DH which is a win) @ camp ... drank a bottle of water before bed then out fishing in boat early this morning.
    Apr 6 - 1 beer at 4pm fishing off the dock @ camp. WIN did not open the bottle of wine for dinner.
    Apr 7 - AF

Second week with only 3 nights AF … not getting to my weekly goal which will make the monthly goal difficult to achieve as well!
    Apr 8 - AF
    Apr 9 - AF - Alumnae meeting theme “Learn the Art of Cocktails” with plenty of wine too: Plan just skip this month! Way to tempting and easy to go beyond my limits as well as the drive is 20 miles each way.
    Apr 10 - 2 glasses of wine; dinner with my sister; she pulled out the bottle
    Apr 11 - 2 glasses of wine; dinner with DH; he brought one home oh well
    Apr 12 - AF - I had planned to drink but decided I needed to make up for the last 2 days of unexpected wine. Day out with my daughter and daughter-in-law. Spring Spectacular: shopping & mimosas: Plan limit 1 drink, daughter ordered wine with her lunch … and I declined. So flew through the day AF after all.
    Apr 13 - 2 glasses of wine @ camp
    Apr 14 - 1 beer + 3 glasses of wine @ camp (1 glass from 3 different bottles that were opened that evening)

Only 2 AF out of 7 this week. Again not a great start to my week … I need to figure out how to reign it in … but if I don’t drink 2 glasses then DH opens the bottle and polishes it off on his own. Trying to balance my goals when he has thrown in the towel.
    Apr 15 - 2 glasses of wine - Bookclub: Skipping @ fishing camp
    Apr 16 - 2 glasses of wine @ camp
    Apr 17 - AF - DH had a bottle at home which he opened before I left but I did not take the glass offered. Bookclub told them I was detoxing from all the wine I drank at the fishing camp.
    Apr 18 - 2 glasses of wine - Grimaldi’s pizza
    Apr 19 - 2 beers - Good Friday Fish Fry & Crawfish Boil: Plan 2 beers
    Apr 20 - 2 red glasses of wine with steak, roasted multicolored carrots and steamed artichoke for dinner
    Apr 21 - AF
    Apr 22 - 2 glasses of wine. Planned AF and dinner at home. My son & his wife surprised us … dinner out and news they are having our 1st grandchild.
    Apr 23 - 1 glass of wine. Planned HH with friend limit 1 drink
    Apr 24 - AF
    Apr 25 - 1 glass of wine. Alumnae meeting with wine: Plan AF (long drive)
    Apr 26 - Charity event Product Runway: Plan no more than 2 drinks
  • annshandle
    annshandle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    April 22 -- AF. Went for a run after work. Slept really well. I know I feel better when I don't drink, but I can't seem to stay away on the weekends.
    April 23 -- AF. Another good workout, which helps. Also stocking up on fizzy drinks!
    April 24 - AF. One more day to meet my goal of 4 AF days per week.
    April 25 - AF. Met my goal this week! I will probably have a glass or two of wine tonight, but hopefully not more than that. We're going to see a school play so I won't be tempted to sit at home and drink.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,568 Member
    Options
    @FeelinFooFoo

@dawnbgethealthy as someone else has said, I like your template also. It's quick & easy to see how you have done throughout the month. I wish I could only drink 3 drinks like you and then have to stop! 😄 and weight loss is a great reason to cut back.

Yes, the 3 drink thing...well, if I have 4 drinks I usually throw up, so keeping to 3 is better. The thing is that when i started on this thread I was having 3 drinks 7 days per week.
    No template, just checking in daily.

Best of luck with the alcohol experiment! Sorry that you had to share your wine lol.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    beebva4 wrote: »
    I woke up feeling angry and disappointed after drinking yesterday. It's been about a month straight. So for the first time I said "screw it" and dumped half a bottle of rum down the drain just now. Goodbye rum, hello new day! Time to take myself and my goals seriously.

(I tried to post a picture but it wont let me)

You did a very good and brave thing. That shows power right there. My turning point came when I was able to really just pour it down the drain. Forget the cost- really, forget the cost. In the end, you will win and your body will thank you for it.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    This week have been focusing on the bigger picture and working on other goals that make me happy to fill the alcohol void. I need to solve this piece. If you think about what is missing in your life...and write down what you can do and want to do instead...you can start being that person..I am challenging myself with this thought this month and moving forward. I started substituting a hike/run/powerwalk program - daily - and actually it's I've been at it 2 weeks - I have 49 miles logged so far...... and my mood and mindset has changed a lot. I feel optimistic and energetic. Yes I still drink wine but limited to dinner time (it used to be a lot more). This transition from alcohol life to wonderful life is hard...but I felt I need to work on developing and designing what that new lifestyle would be....before I make the final jump to being alcohol free.
  • beebva4
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @globalhiker thank you! I just woke up feeling different, I did not want it. And like you said, half a 25$ bottle down the drain and I didn't even care. I felt better tonight not having any. I had ONE mango-rita, it took me over an hour to drink just one 12oz bottle. I didnt even really want it but had it anyways. Thought about a second before bed but again, just didnt want it. Maybe it's just the taste. I get burnt out on things easily, but either way I'll take it! Started me on the right path today :)
    Also, I really like that you are incorporating some walking/hiking as a fill! That's what I would like to do as well. Being physically active is supposed to really help our mental well being, very proud of you! Its inspiring!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Reread the beginning thread again.
    Helpful.
    Has there been any mention of the May challenge yet?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am going to continue with my goal of 4AF days per week.
    Weight loss is my main motivator.

April 1 - AF
    April 2 - AF
    April 3 - AF
    April 4 - 3 drinks
    April 5 - AF - super glad to have this forum to check in to for accountability, it really does stop me some days when I have had crazy days at work and really feel like having drinks.
    April 06 - 3 drinks, and up 1.6 pounds in one day from it. All the more reason for AF days : - )
    April 07 - AF - planning AF for the next 3 days at least
    April 08 - AF
    April 09 - AF
    April 10 - AF
    April 11 - AF - planned night out for the 12th, jam session at a bar. I have sang without drinking before, but prefer to loosen up with a couple first...we'll see. I love being less bloated, especially in the face.
    April 12 - 4 drinks - Didn't even go out to the jam in the neighbouring town. I had such a long busy workday and 9pm just seemed too late for me to start to gussie up and drive there. I probably wouldn't have had any drinks had I gone, because I was driving. I was just too tired lol. It actually was nice to relax, have a few drinks, watch hockey.
    April 13 - AF
    April 14 - 3 drinks - Sunday - going to make at least the next 3 days AF
    April 15 - AF
    April 16 - AF - home sick from work. A brandy or a glass of red wine might have been soothing, but I didn't.
    April 17 - AF - after months of being on this thread I feel like it is finally becoming my new normal. As much as I have done many AF days each month, not a day went by that I didn't feel like having drinks - I just didn't. I truly feel like I am not craving it as much now.
    April 18 - AF - Still not logging until the following day so far : - )
    April 19 - 2 drinks hours ago. Actually logged on the current day for a change.
    April 20 - AF - Still battling this terrible flu/cold thing and wine would have eased the coughing...but so will Neo Citran or something before bed. Alcohol probably doesn't help much with healing anyway.
    April 21 - AF - It is nice to wake up without a bloated stomach and face.
    April 22 - AF
    April 23 - AF
    April 24 - AF
    April 25 - 2 drinks. When I first got started at drinking less, when the days came that I would have drinks I think that I was feeling deprived and drank more than usual. I don't feel that way anymore. 3 would be normal for me, but tonight (a few hours ago) I had 2 and was good with that. Progress.
    April 26 - 3 drinks - broke the never drink 2 days in a row : - ( I know that I could so easily go back to drinks every day.

Running total: 19AF days out of 26 days so far
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Hosted A huge Easter family reunion which took up all my time beforehand- and all week to clean up and recover!

Did well on the day of the party (sat). Only two drinks. Sunday I had 2 mimosas, took a nap, and had two glasses of wine with dinner. Felt so hung over Monday! What a lousy feeling. Good reminder not to drink too much

Good all week, only one on my planned nights. Now I need to get my food logging back on track!
  • beebva4
    Options
    One mango-rita yesterday, took like two hours to drink it. Went to the store today, husband got beer but we skipped the rum! I much rather drink one drink then have one shot of rum turn into like 6. I have to say it was progress to not buy the rum. To not want it actually!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

April 1 - AF
    April 2 - AF
    April 3 - AF
    April 4 - 3 drinks
    April 5 - AF - super glad to have this forum to check in to for accountability, it really does stop me some days when I have had crazy days at work and really feel like having drinks.
    April 06 - 3 drinks, and up 1.6 pounds in one day from it. All the more reason for AF days : - )
    April 08 - AF
    April 09 - AF
    April 10 - AF
    April 11 - AF - planned night out for the 12th, jam session at a bar. I have sang without drinking before, but prefer to loosen up with a couple first...we'll see. I love being less bloated, especially in the face.
    April 12 - 4 drinks - Didn't even go out to the jam in the neighbouring town. I had such a long busy workday and 9pm just seemed too late for me to start to gussie up and drive there. I probably wouldn't have had any drinks had I gone, because I was driving. I was just too tired lol. It actually was nice to relax, have a few drinks, watch hockey.
    April 13 - AF
    April 15 - AF
    April 16 - AF - home sick from work. A brandy or a glass of red wine might have been soothing, but I didn't.
    April 17 - AF - after months of being on this thread I feel like it is finally becoming my new normal. As much as I have done many AF days each month, not a day went by that I didn't feel like having drinks - I just didn't. I truly feel like I am not craving it as much now.
    April 20 - AF - Still battling this terrible flu/cold thing and wine would have eased the coughing...but so will Neo Citran or something before bed. Alcohol probably doesn't help much with healing anyway.
    April 22 - AF
    April 23 - AF
    April 24 - AF
    April 25 - 2 drinks. When I first got started at drinking less, when the days came that I would have drinks I think that I was feeling deprived and drank more than usual. I don't feel that way anymore. 3 would be normal for me, but tonight (a few hours ago) I had 2 and was good with that. Progress.
    April 26 - 3 drinks - broke the never drink 2 days in a row : - ( I know that I could so easily go back to drinks every day.
    April 27 - 3 drinks. That was too easy. Of course my food discipline goes out the window too when I have drinks. I was on a pretty good roll this month before this. I will need to get a handle on it.

Running total: 19AF days out of 27 days so far
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hi @dawnbgethealthy , I love your record-keeping. <3 Such a helpful thing to do to be able to see patterns in one's behaviour.

Are you finding it's getting easier to moderate over time? I like how you said logging in to post keeps you accountable.

Are you noticing like I did that drinking affects you just as much as illness and stress do, and that they both make the other worse?

How's your record-keeping helping with your weight loss? Do you have data on that?

• ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I will look for the May thread as well. I have been reading everyone's posts and find a lot of inspiration and support. I have also been listening to podcasts at rachelhart.com - her site was mentioned on this thread and she does a really good job talking about urges, etc. I have the occasional AF day and would like to have more and drink less when I do drink.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

April 1 - AF
    April 2 - AF
    April 3 - AF
    April 4 - 3 drinks
    April 08 - AF
    April 09 - AF
    April 10 - AF
    April 13 - AF
    April 15 - AF
    April 22 - AF
    April 23 - AF
    April 24 - AF
    April 27 - 3 drinks. That was too easy. Of course my food discipline goes out the window too when I have drinks. I was on a pretty good roll this month before this. I will need to get a handle on it.
    April 28 - AF

Running total: 19AF days out of 28 days so far
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Dawn, that's so great. :smile:

@MissMay I sent you a PM.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @MissMay I sent you a PM.
    @Orphia I never received it. I sent you one, reply back to me from that message. 😁