Veggie Keto

Options
Hello vegitarians, just getting started veg keto. Looking forward to have discussions and share recipes to hit the macro goal. I can eat eggs and fish but it is hard to eat them everyday. Please share your experiences and difficulties.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Seitan. If you make it yourself from vital wheat gluten (and don't add any carbs in the form of flavorings), you're looking at about 75 g of protein and 14 g of carbs in a 370 kcal serving. If you buy it pre-made, the amount of carbs will vary from brand to brand depending on what they've added to it.

Plain whey protein isolate (if you do dairy -- hard to guess what you eat since you call yourself a vegetarian and eat fish). The brand I have (Bob's Red Mill) has 15 grams of protein and 2 g of carbs in an 80 kcal serving.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, if you are eating fish you are not a vegetarian. Also, Keto is pretty difficult to stick with when you are eating animal products, it can be done without them, but is much more difficult. I have not read this book personally, but I do listen to a Podcast that features the author and he seems to be very educated on the subject matter, so maybe check it out https://drwillcole.com/ketotarian/
  • ZMAA201417
    ZMAA201417 Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I eat fish and egg occasionally but I prefer veggies and I can stay on veggies year long. so, I though I would try vegetarian keto. is there a link to veggie keto resources on this website?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    There are here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

Sounds terrible to me, as if eating vegetarian I like to have a good amount of dairy, as well as eggs, and dairy has carbs. I also like to get a decent amount of protein from beans or lentils, as well as some nuts and seeds (beans and lentils have lots of carbs and nuts and seeds add up). Tofu and seitan are lower carb (and I really enjoy tofu), but there's only so much you can have. I eat lots of veg (usually over 10 servings per day) and just that plus either greek yogurt (plain) or a serving of nuts would be putting me over my carbs. I'd have avocado too. (This was eating meat (including fish), which is super helpful on keto.)

When eating keto I tend to eat more meat (more than I'm comfortable with) as I'd basically eat an omelet with veg and cheese, half an avocado on the side (or maybe greek yogurt or cottage cheese), and then a big salad with meat on it for lunch (some nuts or seeds on the salad), and then meat (including fish) + veg. It's a tasty enough diet, although I was always over what the hardcore keto folks consider too many carbs, and I missed fruit when it started to come back into season, and ultimately decided that I don't get the point of cutting out foods I personally consider healthy like beans and lentils and fruit and potatoes/sweet potatoes, and oats and other whole grains. But I enjoyed the experiment when I tried it out, so would never discourage anyone from doing it.

TLDR: veg keto is possible, so try it and see if you like it.
  • ZMAA201417
    ZMAA201417 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you @lemurcat2 :|
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    veg keto sounds horrible imo.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    While you can do it, it will sure be hard. Google ecoatkins for some ideas.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    akkane812 wrote: »
    I eat fish and egg occasionally but I prefer veggies and I can stay on veggies year long. so, I though I would try vegetarian keto. is there a link to veggie keto resources on this website?

Why do you want to try keto?