What kind of shampoo and conditioner do u use

Options
124»

Replies

• avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't shampoo but once every other month or so, and my conditioner varies, currently it's either Shae moisture or not your mother's. I always pick sulfate and silicone free products cause curly. *I don't recommend going without shampoo unless you have soft water.
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    avlucia wrote: »
    I don't shampoo but once every other month or so, and my conditioner varies, currently it's either Shae moisture or not your mother's. I always pick sulfate and silicone free products cause curly. *I don't recommend going without shampoo unless you have soft water.

Out of curiosity, how do you keep your hair from getting greasy? Especially when working out and such. I really wish I could schampoo less, for the sake of my hair, but I find my hair getting greasy really fast if I don't. Tips appreciated!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Out of curiosity, how do you keep your hair from getting greasy? Especially when working out and such. I really wish I could schampoo less, for the sake of my hair, but I find my hair getting greasy really fast if I don't. Tips appreciated!

A couple of months ago I stopped using conditioner, and find it takes longer for my hair to look greasy. I just use a tiny bit of hair oil to smooth it down, and occasionally an intensive conditioning treatment.

Have you tried dry shampoo? I find that's a winner to keep it reasonable for longer.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I wash my hair maybe once to twice a week!
    I have super curly hair so it doesn’t really get greasy fast but when I straighten it, I’ll use baby powder in my hair or dry shampoo
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    qwh9rgxffquw.jpeg

• avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options

*Takes a deep breath* So here's the thing, odds are you use a sulfate shampoo, sulfate strips the natural oils from your scalp that your scalp wants to be there. So the more you do this the more oil your scalp will produce meaning you get a greasy scalp faster (there's a gray area here for people going through puberty where it doesn't matter what they're using or not using the scalp is producing a lot of oil in general). In order to reduce the amount of oil your scalp produces you need to do a couple things: stop using sulfate shampoo, and deal with it - the greasy scalp that is.

I transitioned to water washing several years ago which is essentially just massaging your scalp under warm water (MUST BE SOFT WATER). I think I spent two weeks to a month in a state of greasy hair before my scalp regulated and now I don't get greasy hair anymore, ever.

Alternatively using shampoo that is sulfate free and pushing your wash days apart can help but you'll still run into the problem of having greasy hair until your scalp regulates, I don't know how long it takes in this case.

If you decide to do either of these a couple of additional things to know. If you use a conditioner with silicone you will develop build up in your hair. Most silicones in hair products are not water soluble so you need a sulfate to get it out. Thus why if you go sulfate free you need to go silicone free too(I've found a lot of people don't like the feel of their hair without silicone in it just fyi). And I don't recommend using dry shampoo while transitioning, it's still confusing to the scalp as not having the oil it wants there, causing the same problem of over production. If I really needed it I would use it only on the visible part.
  • SheBeButLittleSheisFierce
    Options
    Monat