05/01........00M.......2.5M *tapering*

---MTD: 2.5 miles walking, 0 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019
    Hell Have No Hurry 50k Trail Race - June 2019
    Howl at the Moon - Nighttime 5k - August 2019

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's May 1, and I'm still injured. Hit my zero miles goal for April. I'll be slightly more ambitious for May.

May goal: Some amount of running greater than zero miles, i.e. at least one run long enough to be worth starting the Garmin.

Not going to happen this week, and maybe not next week either. Coming back all the way is more important than coming back soon.

Not that you need my approbation, but you're absolutely right.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I’m going for 50 miles again this month.
    So today was my last trial long run. As some of you may recall (and again apologies for TMI) my last 2 long runs (8 and 9 miles) have really aggravated my IBS and I have been quite unwell as soon as I got home (like an hour basically stuck to the toilet!). As there was still 4 miles to do I was getting worried if I would be able to do the half marathon on 10 days (my first). Following advice from here today I had a decent lunch 5 hours before my run but then only ate 2 biscuits and 2 Imodium. I kept well hydrated. Tonight I have run 8 miles, then walked 1 (it still felt ok but I met a friend I hadn’t seen in a while so walked with her at the end), and 1 hour post run I still feel ok. So assuming there are no later ill effects I will follow this routine again and hope for the best. So far my bum bag will carry Imodium, extra strong mints, painkillers, couple of plasters, couple of packs of tissues - for toilet emergencies! And gloves (my hands can get very cold). Any other tips of what a slow runner should carry? I am looking at 3 hours to complete.

Those pain killers NSAID’s? They can seriously aggravate your guts particularly while running. Sounds rough. I feel for ya, I’ve been there. For a while, I made sure I ran in socks I didn't mind having to discard if I had to sacrifice one, or both. Or never got too far away from a Porta John. Have you tried ginger candies? They might help too. Wish you the best!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The painkillers are a ‘just in case’ as I occasionally get migraines. I hadn’t thought about the stomach irritation - the ibs stuff is still new to me and I’m still trying to figure out what i can do to make it better and I need to avoid.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    The painkillers are a ‘just in case’ as I occasionally get migraines. I hadn’t thought about the stomach irritation - the ibs stuff is still new to me and I’m still trying to figure out what i can do to make it better and I need to avoid.

Did you get a chance to look at the FODMAP I linked last month?

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/

It might help. If it is FODMAPs that is your issue you could be better in a week, or at least seeing improvement.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Did you get a chance to look at the FODMAP I linked last month?

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/

It might help. If it is FODMAPs that is your issue you could be better in a week, or at least seeing improvement.

Ya know... In addition to this list there also the obvious possibility of gluten. It's a pain, but an elimination diet may help figure it out.

I couldn't believe I was that kid with the food problems, and twisted femur birth defect. *sigh*. If you have migraines (check tyramine containing foods)., I'd bet in a heartbeat that it's a food intolerance. Check soy, it gives me a migraine and poos. I had Asian food with dh and had hater tummy for 2 days.