April 2019 Self-care Challenge (Guys, don't think self-care is girly stuff!)

2»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Had a huge life change with helping my mum leave town after 40 years and her retiring over 500 km away.

Been maintaining weight, logging, exercise (reduced running distance during this week but still regular), drawing daily, studying language daily. I can't bear to think of what life would be like if I didn't have my daily self-care habits.

Last night was the end of my exhausting week-long trip to help her settle in.

On my way home yesterday I visited an amazing art gallery for 2 hours and had some ideas for original things I can do soon.

Then I treated myself to a dinner that turned out to be the most beautiful and special restaurant meal I've ever had.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @Orphia, it's great that you're keeping up with your self-care and can see/feel the benefits. I'm wondering what made that restaurant meal so special in your mind (food, ambiance, a combination of factors?)

I feel like I'm falling down on the self-care. I had been walking more, and enjoying it, but I haven't had a good walk since Saturday.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Self care: de-cluttering for a move. I want to move with only things I <3 truly treasure and not things that are nice but....

Painted a giraffe on canvas with acrylic paint last night. It was very difficult and at one point I painted over his face and neck and was going to quit. But I said just relax and try again, and it turned out ok.

Finally, three mornings in a row green smoothies with lots of spinach and 5 days in a row of meditation.
  • RubyRed427
    @Orphia best wishes on the new adjustment to having Mum so far away. Thank Goodness for technology to help bridge the distance. And it would be nice to send her cards and letters regularly. She may enjoy getting mail from you. Xo
  • PKM0515
    Went for a nice, fifty-minute walk at lunchtime. Bonus: I walked to the recycling center, so I got rid of "trash" too.
  • ForAmanda222
    ForAmanda222 Posts: 126 Member
    It's my first day on MFP today and I've been on and off community all day just to learn and see what I can connect to. I strive for better self care too and as I was reading these posts realised I had given myself a mini manicure this morning without even thinking - my point being: the act of starting to focus on losing weight this morning seemed to trigger this other act of self care unconsciously - makes sense. Also liked the self care ideas list thanks Orphia x
  • Orphia
    Welcome, @ForAmanda222 <3
  • Orphia
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    @Orphia, it's great that you're keeping up with your self-care and can see/feel the benefits. I'm wondering what made that restaurant meal so special in your mind (food, ambiance, a combination of factors?)

I feel like I'm falling down on the self-care. I had been walking more, and enjoying it, but I haven't had a good walk since Saturday.

@SaraKim17 Hugs xx

The food was a delicate, delicious work of art.

3bylhzpmects.jpeg
    t9ms9bdw6pv6.jpeg
  • Orphia
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    @Orphia best wishes on the new adjustment to having Mum so far away. Thank Goodness for technology to help bridge the distance. And it would be nice to send her cards and letters regularly. She may enjoy getting mail from you. Xo

Thanks heaps, my dear friend!

I've bought a card and will send it with a gift for Mother's Day soon, but after reading this, I think I'll also send something today.

We use social media, messages, emails, and phone, but I know how much she loves mail. Thank you! xx

It was exhausting helping her decide what things to keep from her large house to move to the lovely new smaller one in a retirement village.

So many decisions! It took about 6 hours just to go through her paintings and framed photos. But we're really happy with the decisions. She'd asked me to help with that and it was a big effort to talk everything through and make sure she was happy and me not be bossy.

My main tip there is that art galleries keep 80% of their collection in storage. You don't need to put everything up and have so much competition between things.

And sometimes space is a feature.

We kept original art and donated old prints/frames that didn't work in her place.

Must stop now but will talk to you soon. Thinking of you often.
  • PKM0515
    Orphia wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

@SaraKim17 Hugs xx

The food was a delicate, delicious work of art.

3bylhzpmects.jpeg
    t9ms9bdw6pv6.jpeg

Wow! A work of art indeed! Thanks for sharing. :)
  • ForAmanda222
    ForAmanda222 Posts: 126 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Welcome, @ForAmanda222 <3

Got up early this morning to self care soecifically finances, it's payday today and it's not all as bad as I thought after all . Sitting in the Sun, breakfast cals logged x have a self caring day folks x
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    I haven't had a chance to post here much but I have been doing a lot of self care. I have been hiking more and working in training. I have also been working on spicing up my house with new shelves and potted plants. I've also let myself sleep in the last couple days because I've been feeling a little run down.
  • wcollett60
    wcollett60 Posts: 188 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo
    Thank you, I have started the heel on the second one, it takes concentration, so a great way to forget everything going on.

I was away for a couple of days. So my self care was hotel fitness centre, pool, and walking outside between thunder showers. Lots of down time. Feeling refreshed and relaxed.
  • RubyRed427
    Hi Friends,

I started a new thread for May: go to challenge thread, search for “May 2019 Self care challenge”.
    See you all on that thread. Xo
  • Orphia