May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7- I have not tried it but a gentleman was recently asking about it on the LDR group forum. He was using it for a torn meniscus. You might want to search around for that thread. My husband was interested, so please let me know if you find it to be helpful. Also, congrats on your 50 miler. It took guts just to show up given what you have had to deal with recently. I am looking forward to the report.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Does anyone here use CBD oil or cream, whether it be for running related reasons or anything else? What do you use it for, and how do you use it?

After my race Saturday I was a hurtin' pup. My sister gave me some of her CBD cream to use and while my pain did subside quicker than I expected, I'm not willing to give any credit to CBD. I am, however, intrigued enough to explore the substance further. I bought some of my own Tuesday and applied it to one of my still painful quads as a test and it didn't seem to help it recover any faster than the untreated quad. The product I bought, however, has a low concentration.

I tend to ignore "miracle cures" but for some reason, I want to find out more about this.

I haven’t tried it. It’s still a no-no if you are subject to random drug screenings as it can/will have enough THC to pop on a test. I have heard a lot thorough the grapevine that it helps.

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Yay @avidkeo, although I don't envy you moving to New Plymouth at the start of winter - it'll be a bit of a shock to your subtropical Northland system! I see new running layers in your future!!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Congrats @avidkeo on your official job offer! And best of luck selling the house quickly and without too much stress.

Welcome to the newest newcomers.
    @brittanystebbins95 good work making your posted mileage come true! Nice job.

@MobyCarp glad you are being smart in your recovery, and setting a good example for the rest of us. Hope certain someones take heed and don't need to be beaten with sticks. :)

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 4.0
    05/02/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 7.5

After work I dressed for a run before taking the dog out for her walk - and she was moving along nicely so I decided to try running with her again. It started out moderately successfully, but she started to really drag in the second mile. She just doesn't enjoy being "forced" to run, even if she is normally pulling me along at a plenty fast pace. We made it 2 miles before I gave up and let her walk and sniff until we got home. Then I put her in the house and finished 1.5 miles by myself. She was all mad about that too. There's no pleasing this dog.

I'm going to edit this to add a couple of Spartan photos I just got. The sandbag carry one I was feeling pretty beaten down at that point so not surprisingly it kinda looks like I'm going to cry. The fire jump was at the very end - I guess I really gave that one my all :)
    hhy4l2mkjh2c.jpg
    xgpzxporxyzh.jpg

You are truly a bad *kitten* ma'am!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Congrats @avidkeo on your official job offer! And best of luck selling the house quickly and without too much stress.

Welcome to the newest newcomers.
    @brittanystebbins95 good work making your posted mileage come true! Nice job.

@MobyCarp glad you are being smart in your recovery, and setting a good example for the rest of us. Hope certain someones take heed and don't need to be beaten with sticks. :)

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 4.0
    05/02/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 7.5

After work I dressed for a run before taking the dog out for her walk - and she was moving along nicely so I decided to try running with her again. It started out moderately successfully, but she started to really drag in the second mile. She just doesn't enjoy being "forced" to run, even if she is normally pulling me along at a plenty fast pace. We made it 2 miles before I gave up and let her walk and sniff until we got home. Then I put her in the house and finished 1.5 miles by myself. She was all mad about that too. There's no pleasing this dog.

I'm going to edit this to add a couple of Spartan photos I just got. The sandbag carry one I was feeling pretty beaten down at that point so not surprisingly it kinda looks like I'm going to cry. The fire jump was at the very end - I guess I really gave that one my all :)
    hhy4l2mkjh2c.jpg
    xgpzxporxyzh.jpg

Having done a Spartan I know that face well! :smiley: But you DID IT. You beat the course despite its best efforts.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I have looked at CBD oil, not for me but for Hobbes the Vizsla. It is highly recommended in the holistic treatment areas for mast cell cancers and others. My brother who is disabled and has chronic pain uses it and swears by it. He also gave me some pointers when buying it and basically said to do your homework because there are a lot of rip offs and what you get is not a concentration that will do anything. It seems to be pretty expensive everywhere but I have heard so many good things about it from reputable people in the scientific community. Apparently it was used for 100's of years as a treatment for all kinds of things before it was made illegal.
    Also very cool for your daughter and neighbor friend - I wish them luck in their races! I bet your daughter will have a blast!
    @katharmonic - you are a bad *kitten*! Awesome pictures!
    @ContraryMaryMary - I had a similar experience in reverse... The Skora shoes I love were no longer available here but I found them in a Tri store in Dubai. I emailed them and they sent them to me and comped the postage! I wish I would have ordered 2 pairs at the time but I was being cautious. When I tried to order another pair they were all gone :(
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Yay @avidkeo, although I don't envy you moving to New Plymouth at the start of winter - it'll be a bit of a shock to your subtropical Northland system! I see new running layers in your future!!

LOL yeah already seeing they are on average 4 degrees colder. So so glad I got my sleeves hahaha. I see gloves in my future, perhaps a mother's day gift
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 cbd oil is unregulated so there is no way to know what's actually in th oil. It could be pure CBD, it could be a mix that has THC, it could even just be olive oil.

Most researchers are on the fence. There seems to evidence that it helps epilepsy, but everything else seems to be just placebo - which is fine, cause it works if you think it will work haha.

As you used it as a cream, is possible the massage actually helped more than the oil - its a bit like arnica cream bringing out a bruise, it's actually the effect of rubbing in the arnica that brings it out.

But take my thoughts with a grain of salt if you want, I'm a bit of a sceptic at heart and prefer to follow the science than anecdotes.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 good luck to both of "your girls"!