May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tonight is the expo for the Pittsburgh Marathon. Are any MFP'ers going to be there? I know a couple of you are running. My wife and I are planning to be there around 5pm. Might drag my 15 year old along. He is over 6 foot now so he is good for looking over people and finding things. :lol:

I am hoping to find those thingies that let you wear a bib without pins. Do not know what they are called or who makes them so it probably is a futile hope, but without hope, what do you have? :smiley:
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile So glad you were able to get AC relief. It's so hard to sleep when it is hot! Glad you were able to kick your husband out of the house for a run too. But, it is sweet of him not to run if you can't.

@7lenny7 That is so great that you are inspiring a whole new generation to run. Good luck to your young ladies this weekend. Glad your wife is going to get to surprise your daughter.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Tonight is the expo for the Pittsburgh Marathon. Are any MFP'ers going to be there? I know a couple of you are running. My wife and I are planning to be there around 5pm. Might drag my 15 year old along. He is over 6 foot now so he is good for looking over people and finding things. :lol:

I am hoping to find those thingies that let you wear a bib without pins. Do not know what they are called or who makes them so it probably is a futile hope, but without hope, what do you have? :smiley:

@PastorVincent

The magnets are called bib dots, or something like that. I don't know anyone who uses them, a couple runners said they can fall off.

I use a bib belt, which works well for races short enough that I don't also need a hydration belt. Mine is made by Nathan, but I've also seen a guy who has a combination SPI belt/bib belt. IIRC, mine cost something like $8 or $10 a couple years ago.
    3k8r6ogy5wop.jpg

• PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@PastorVincent

The magnets are called bib dots, or something like that. I don't know anyone who uses them, a couple runners said they can fall off.

I use a bib belt, which works well for races short enough that I don't also need a hydration belt. Mine is made by Nathan, but I've also seen a guy who has a combination SPI belt/bib belt. IIRC, mine cost something like $8 or $10 a couple years ago.
    3k8r6ogy5wop.jpg

Hmmm, will look for them at the Expo and see how they look. I am still undecided if I am going to wear my Wunjo, my Nathan hydration belt, or nothing. There are plenty of water stops, but I crashed and burned hard in my first marathon because I got in a haze and missed all the water stops between mile 20 and 26. :smiley:

Right now weather is 50s F and rain, but there is still time for that to change yet.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent

3k8r6ogy5wop.jpg

Hmmm, will look for them at the Expo and see how they look. I am still undecided if I am going to wear my Wunjo, my Nathan hydration belt, or nothing. There are plenty of water stops, but I crashed and burned hard in my first marathon because I got in a haze and missed all the water stops between mile 20 and 26. :smiley:

Right now weather is 50s F and rain, but there is still time for that to change yet.

I can't see them on the US version of their website, but Decathlon here do a shirt with a plastic pocket for your bib. They seem pretty popular over here...
  • PastorVincent
    Options

@PastorVincent

3k8r6ogy5wop.jpg

I can't see them on the US version of their website, but Decathlon here do a shirt with a plastic pocket for your bib. They seem pretty popular over here...

Cool idea, but then I have to wear just that shirt. I was looking for a bit more flexibility than that.
  • PastorVincent
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What a great story about an amazing success:

http://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27346203/pittsburgh-marathon-director-steps-down

I can not believe that TWENTY percent of runners on average pick up their race bag (shirt, bib, etc) and then do not race. I mean I could have guessed that fewer people start than sign up, but I would have thought a much higher percentage of people that made it all the way to packet pickup would show up race morning, pending weather.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @7Lenny7- Good luck to your daughter and your neighbor. Sounds like they had some good coaching, so they should both do great!

@PastorVincent - That statistic blows my mind! 20 percent??? I tend to wait until last minute to sign up for races because I worry about things that can happen in the meantime, but if I do sign up for a race, you better believe I am going to participate in it, even if I have to walk!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @7Lenny7- Good luck to your daughter and your neighbor. Sounds like they had some good coaching, so they should both do great!

@PastorVincent - That statistic blows my mind! 20 percent??? I tend to wait until last minute to sign up for races because I worry about things that can happen in the meantime, but if I do sign up for a race, you better believe I am going to participate in it, even if I have to walk!

Yeah, I have DNS'd like 2 or 3 races ever. If I recall right they were all for unexpected health issues. Oh, one was for a car accident. But once I pay, I make a good effort to show.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart- Sorry to hear you are dealing with a bum ankle. If you are unable to run your half, can you defer to next year? That would take care of the packet pick-up dilemma. If not, maybe you could do the 5K or even just walk it? That way you wouldn't feel so bad about wearing the shirt.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Shepeess wrote: »
    Newbie here to ... I always feel like I am about to die when I run... is that normal? So... I will start with 40miles... is there somewhere which explains how it all works.. I get nervous going for a run so want to get over that.

I highly suggest if you are just starting out you google "Couch to 5k" and start one of those programs. That is really the best way for most people to get started.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    @shepeess I also recommend a couch to 5K app. I used the one from Zen labs and really liked it.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Shepeess wrote: »
    Newbie here to ... I always feel like I am about to die when I run... is that normal? So... I will start with 40miles... is there somewhere which explains how it all works.. I get nervous going for a run so want to get over that.

The main thing that stopped me from feeling like I was about to die when I was a new runner was running much more slowly! Good luck.. if you haven’t tried something like couch to 5K, you might consider it. People seem to find it really helpful!