May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27206120/michael-phelps-running-turkey-trot
    Michael Phelps Calls His Thanksgiving Turkey Trot the ‘Worst Idea in the World’

He might be great in the water... but I guess a 5k not his thing. I could have beat him in that race I bet. I have run several 5ks faster at least. Would be cool to say, "Yeah, you know that Michael Phelps dude? Yeah, well I crushed him." :lol:

Yeah, I looked . . . his winning time was slower than my PW 5K, which I ran at age 60 in about three inches of snow? Aren't there any local runners better than that?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    10 km with the crew on saturday. Legs tired out quickly since I was still in recovery from Wednesday Nights Trail HM. Was off in my route planning so had to do a loop around the Ball Diamonds and parking lot to get the 10km.

exercise.png

Well done on all those who raced this weekend.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Huge kudos to you @PastorVincent for getting through those tough conditions during your marathon. And congrats to Mrs. PastorVincent on her PR!

@simcon1 well done on your HM! You were well prepared. You will crush the next one too!

Meh. 7 miles this morning. Started off slow, built speed with each mile. Not 100% negative splits, but close. Guess that's a win.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse - Congratulations! I agree that the pace/time on your card is wrong - no way you ran a 22 min mile :)
    @7lenny7 - Your daughter is so cute and looks so happy! Congratulations to her!!
    @katharmonic - You did it!! Congratulations on getting through that race so soon after Spartan!!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Congratulations!! Awesome race and time!!
    @Teerai - Welcome!
    @pastorvincent and Mrs. PastorVincent - Congratulations!!!
    @simcon1 - Awesome race! It actually sounds like a lovely place to run - Congratulations!
    Oh @eleanorhawkins - That sounds horrible in the moment but something you all will remember and probably laugh about for a long time! Too bad there are no pictures!

@PastorVincent - my daughter's swim coach told me once, when trying to get the swimmers to run a bit for conditioning that 'runners can swim but swimmers can't run'. Basically she explained that the breathing pattern is very different and very hard for swimmers to modify to run. Also I met Michael Phelps (we sat across from each other on a flight to Baltimore) and he is incredibly tall and is very humble and really nice!

@MegaMooseEsq - Hope your knee and hip issue is nothing serious!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq - Hope your knee and hip issue is nothing serious!

Thanks! I've had luck with strengthening exercises in the past but have gotten out of the habit of doing them so am trying to get some better accountability going. I got a referral to an ortho clinic so I'll have to get down there in the next few days.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    WTG everyone who raced this weekend!
    @pastorvincent Congrats on persevering through some unexpected challenges, and Mrs PastorVincent CONGRATS on the PR!
    @simcon1 Congrats on completing your first HM, sounds like you had a great time!
    @katharmonic That sounds like a truly grueling race, but you nailed it ma’am!
    @contrarymarymary Looks like you guys had so much fun!
    @7Lenny7 Congrats to your daughter, looks like she had a lot of fun!
    @_nikkiwolf_ Great race and time ma’am!
    @runnermom419 WTG on the PR ma’am!
    @ereck44 There are a few nurses I will not work with on the floor or do not ever want to follow because of their laziness. Hope your friend is able to get things sorted….
    @kgirlhart , @megamooseesq and @tramboman hopefully your injuries are healing as they should be :)
    @lporter229 Glad you had fun with running just the HM and encouraging other :D !
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest
    5-3 injury idle
    5-4 injury idle
    5-5 injury idle
    5-6 rest

May Total: 0k
    May Goal: 100k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Golf today; managed to swing the clubs pretty well, so will try to run tomorrow (if no back setbacks overnight).

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having issues getting on the website on their computer?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

He might be great in the water... but I guess a 5k not his thing. I could have beat him in that race I bet. I have run several 5ks faster at least. Would be cool to say, "Yeah, you know that Michael Phelps dude? Yeah, well I crushed him." :lol:

Yeah, I looked . . . his winning time was slower than my PW 5K, which I ran at age 60 in about three inches of snow? Aren't there any local runners better than that?

Yeah, I was surprised by that too. I have to say I kind of wish that 11-year girl would have run him down though.

My best 5K (small local event) was faster, and I won my gender... but got beat by a 13 year old girl. Anyway, I consider myself a very slow runner (marathon PR is 4:44:57) and yet could still beat Phelps at a 5K apparently.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Maybe they didn't want to show him up?

And random question, what's a PW?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    And random question, what's a PW?

PW = Personal Worst. I doubt it is a real goal anyone actually has. Was just having fun with it. :)