The last few pounds, what gives???

Options
LaurenMT96
LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
TLDR: I lost 94lbs, i have 4 left to my 1st GW. I started strength training properly, now I'm stuck.

Please help, I have lost 94lbs since Feb 2018, I haven't lost any weight over the last month.
3 weeks ago I started lifting weights, Yes i had DOMS and water retention but that is all gone now, and I know that it can't be muscle.

Currently netting 1700 calories averaged weekly, in a 500 calorie deficit with over 120g protein.
My diary is open please feel free to look.

I had a "diet break" at Easter for 5 days, I'm really tight with my logging and yes i weigh everything.

For reference i'm 5'8 and currently 165lbs and i have PCOS (not sure if this is a factor), set to lightly active as although i have an office job, i have 2 horses which I go to every night and do their stables chores etc for around 2 hours.

So what gives? I understand that you will retain water when you start a new exercise/lifting program,
But how long does this usually stick around for? Is this masking my scale loss?
Is 1700 my maintenance? I don't think it can be, I hope not :s

Replies

• LaurenMT96
    Options
    Anyone??
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    @shaf238 Thankyou, so upto around 5-6 weeks I could still be retaining water from my muscles repairing etc?
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    Edit: my body fat percentage has stayed the same at 27% the whole time too (measured on home scale and on supermarket health machine) not sure if this has any impact
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    This might also potentially shed some light: https://legionathletics.com/water-retention/
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    The last few are the very devil. :rage: And you have to fight hard for them. As @cmriverside mentioned, give it a few more weeks to see if it settles out. At that point you might need to concede that 1700 might be too much. You can't out-muck too much, to twist the saying a bit. I'm facing something similar. Except mine is 10lb. And was in maintenance but lost the use of my food scale for a bit (lent it out for a worth cause-science fair). I'm finding my scale is really being a huge turd. It's been 3 or 4 weeks now and I'm a bit tired of lack of progress, but I'm female (water weight likes to stick around), and turned 40 (see the female bit-ugh), and my non-exercise movement has gone done. And I remember it took me 6 months to get rid of the last 15 to begin with the 1st time. :unamused:

Hang in there.
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    Thankyou everyone, in regards to my protein, it does help with my PCOS symptoms and I am generally not a big carb-lover anyway.
    In regards to my calories i have MFP set to lose at 1lb per week, and my 1700 calories is net calories, I'm confused with this as other people on MFP have told me to reduce to 0.5lb per week which would give me more calories???

I will trust the process and keep on doing what I'm doing though for now at least.
  • LaurenMT96
    edited May 2019
    Options
    iaa72cj1goq4.png
    This is my net calories for past 30 days, i try to average weekly but am always under (usually) except my 5 day break at easter
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    I try not to eat my exercise calories back as i know they are way over estimated on here.
  • LaurenMT96
    Options
    Thankyou @pierinifitness :)