What's Your Most Recent NSV

Replies

• gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    That is so great!!! And congratulations to you and to the parents!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Starting at age 63 I have been walking at least 1/4 of a mile a day since back in 2014 down and back up a steep hill. About a month ago I read walking backwards can help balance and prevent/recover mental decline so I started to do 100 steps backwards. Balance has improved walking forward and backwards. Today I was even able to jog backwards for 30 steps. In 2014 it took longer because I would have to rest 10-15 times to catch my breath.

Boom! That's the ticket and super YAY YOU!!!! Walking backwards, YES, I've done it before (around the lake paths) and people look at you like, uhhhhh...OKAY?!? I've NEVER walk backwards for more than say, 20 steps or so. Gonna have to try it again, because walking backwards DEFINITELY helps something, makes you feel stronger/powerful too. Again YAY YOU and thanks for posting!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks @NewLIFEstyle4ME

https://quora.com/Are-there-any-health-benefits-from-walking-backwards

So we can do 10,000 steps by Only doing 1000 steps backwards it seems?

I first started out just turning around once without ever stop walking and that took awhile because I am stiff as a poker due the having Ankylosing Spondylitis for 40 years but some of the self fusing is starting to self reverse thankfully. It really is amazing how much faster I can walk forward now and without tiring quickly at the fast pace. I notice it is easier to drive and look in each direction now.

Wow! I just LOVE LIFE and learning something new everyday, I just love it! Ya know, from what I remember walking backwards, it's definitely different from walking forward and took a bit more, ummm, not pressure, but I guess muscle power. Also, I can definitely attest to it helping with balance, because walking backward makes you look around you in an unusual but powerful way--definitely increases your awareness and once you get used to it, it's not as um "scary" so to speak. What's cool as you're walking backward is people look at you "funny" but also in an admirable way too (like check her out, that's weird, but COOL at the same time). Thanks again ever so much. I'm going to re-start walking backward tomorrow....YAY, thanks for the inspiration. I also like what I read in that link you posted, about walking 100 steps backward is like 1,000 steps forward, I believe it, because I definitely used much more "energy" walking backwards than forward. How cool and fun! It's ON now!

d8eedk7-b5d771d4-df9e-4432-ad91-17034b5da248.gif
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Starting at age 63 I have been walking at least 1/4 of a mile a day since back in 2014 down and back up a steep hill. About a month ago I read walking backwards can help balance and prevent/recover mental decline so I started to do 100 steps backwards. Balance has improved walking forward and backwards. Today I was even able to jog backwards for 30 steps. In 2014 it took longer because I would have to rest 10-15 times to catch my breath.

How interesting - also 63 and keen to maintain balance!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!