Parties and weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    There is a part of me that couldn't just toss it. Childhood guilt I guess for starving children somewhere.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I can't believe what I am reading!! I am an ultra runner and most of us are doing some sort of weird diet or another at any given time so I'm not used to hearing that sort of thing but if I were you, I'd say I'm an athlete and watching what I eat. Usually if you throw the "athlete" thing out there, people kind of don't know what to say because they don't understand people who are involved in athletic endeavors (then go out and sign up for a 5K)!! LOL!! I am a recovering alcoholic but don't need to reveal that because I'm an athlete and some of them don't drink. ;)

UltaRunner, I was honestly as stunned as you are now when that coworker said that to me. And she's normally so supportive!!! It really hurt. People shouldn't feel pressured into things at parties. It's not about the food, it's about what or who you're celebrating. The food is just a footnote in the margin- it's there if you're interested.

Btw, what is ultra-running?
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    Welp, it's official- my coworkers suck! One of them asked what I brought for lunch today (I was trying to defrost it). I said homemade mashed potatoes, Soycutash from Trader Joe's and BBQ teriyaki tofu. We were talking and I said how I never cooked anything before this weight loss because I always thought it was so difficult. He laughed at me. I hate this job.
  • Sunrain2018
    Sunrain2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No one ever had the audacity to say this too my face when I was bigger however they didn't hide their disgust either. It's different though when you lose weight. I guess to some people it's much more socially acceptable to tell somebody to eat if they are losing weight/thin then the opposite.

I feel so bad that these experiences happened to you. In any of these cases especially in a work environment I would have taken the sweet and thrown it in the trash immediately but that's just me.. But as one poster mentioned you should be able to say "no" and people respect your decision. You don't have to ever justify your healthy habits to anybody.

Unfortunately, from here on out as you continue your weight loss the more saboteurs you shall encounter whether they are doing it consciously or unconsciously.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Welp, it's official- my coworkers suck! One of them asked what I brought for lunch today (I was trying to defrost it). I said homemade mashed potatoes, Soycutash from Trader Joe's and BBQ teriyaki tofu. We were talking and I said how I never cooked anything before this weight loss because I always thought it was so difficult. He laughed at me. I hate this job.

How is laughing an insult?

He probably was just seeing himself in your story...or whatever. I don't see any reason to be upset about my food and discussions around it. People are reacting not AT ME but to their own inner dialog.

It's not about me.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    @cmriverside : it's possible, but I doubt it. This particular coworker has put me down before (bit of a history there). Given the pattern of behavior...

@Sunrain2018 : Yeahhh, I'm noticing that a lot of haters are coming out of the woodwork lately. I just wish people would treat me with more respect than what they do.
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    Options
    I had the same when i quit alcohol. I heard the 'just one glass' 'just a little', 'c'mon don't be such a bore' 'but tonight you HAVE TO drink' 'one drink is not gonna hurt you' comments for a looong while until everyone realized I REALLY don't drink alcohol anymore. For now it all stopped and people buy me non alcoholic drinks sometimes for parties so I can join in in my own way! So stay your ground, they will get used to it. :0)
    If not, you can always make a big scene how much you LOOVE this cake but you just had your lunch/snack and feel stuffed etc. Then take the cake to your desk on a plate, and bin it at a good moment or take it home for later for you or for your family. Just make sure you tell them you loved it :0)))) !! This way they will just get off your case, guaranteed - you are (seem to be) one of them! Voila.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    I had the same when i quit alcohol. I heard the 'just one glass' 'just a little', 'c'mon don't be such a bore' 'but tonight you HAVE TO drink' 'one drink is not gonna hurt you' comments for a looong while until everyone realized I REALLY don't drink alcohol anymore. For now it all stopped and people buy me non alcoholic drinks sometimes for parties so I can join in in my own way! So stay your ground, they will get used to it. :0)
    If not, you can always make a big scene how much you LOOVE this cake but you just had your lunch/snack and feel stuffed etc. Then take the cake to your desk on a plate, and bin it at a good moment or take it home for later for you or for your family. Just make sure you tell them you loved it :0)))) !! This way they will just get off your case, guaranteed - you are (seem to be) one of them! Voila.

Yeah, I might just have to do that from now on. Just take a piece to shut them up, take it back to my desk "for later" and trash it. It seems wasteful to me to do this, but in this circumstance I have no choice left.
  • lcdube01
    lcdube01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The hardest part about being around people when you've made this lifestyle change is they can't accept that they dont want to make the same choice for themselves and project onto you. The number of times I've had looks for bringing my prepped lunch or saying no to chocolate. People are frustrating but you have to remember that you hace given yourself the life you deserve and other people's opinions don't matter
  • Kimmotion5783
    edited May 2019
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    “You're making the rest of us feel bad"

That’s a new low. I’ve never heard that before. More evidence that in weight loss, we are on our own. We are better off in our own heads, in our own bubble. Sad but true.

But this-

“oh girl, you don’t need to eat that”

Maybe rethink that one. That person was trying to help you. Rare. Very rare.

Yeah that was a bad day for me. I've since avoided the "parties" when possible; people are finally getting the message. When I am invited, I'm happy to see that there's healthier stuff around. Like at the last pizza party, there was salad. So one slice of pizza and a salad to go with it. Everybody wins there. And you're right- that "you don't need to eat that" lady (her name was Joyce, God bless her may she rest in peace) meant well. Heck I wish I had her back now to tell me to stay away from all the birthday treats people are plying me with.

Ugh. This losing weight thing is so hard, not for the execution of plans, but for the social aspect of it all. Still, if this is the worst thing I have to worry about in life, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • Krisydee
    Krisydee Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been through anything like this where you politely say no to foods you know will throw you off course and someone guilt tripped you and/or made you feel bad about it? How did you handle that situation? What did you do?

Yes! But more so along the lines of "I don't understand people who always deprive themselves, I mean enjoy life! Cz I'm not going to make myself miserable over not having a piece of pizza!" A girl in my department told me one day over one of our monthly birthday lunches get together. Like go #@%! yourself! Uuugghhhh.....
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    Krisydee, I know how that is! I *used* to be that person in the office who'd say that "life is for having fun! eat cake, you only live once!" and so on. I brought in cupcakes and crap on a regular basis and then wondered why I pissed people off. Let me tell you from personal experience- people who say those kinds of things are not truly happy with themselves. They're just trying to rationalize their unhealthy habits. Now I know better, of course. Stick to your guns- you are doing the right thing!