Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Impossible Whopper: Your thoughts on plant-based burgers?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Impossible Burger 2.0 is good. I wouldn't have known it wasn't meat if I had been served one and wasn't told. Was too expensive though.

The veg burger at Carl's is disgusting. I threw it away. Impossible 1.0?

I hope BK goes national with it. Can't wait to try an Impossible Whopper.

I see on their instagram they are rolling out vegan meat in taco bells. Also chicken nuggets, sausage based breakfast items, etc. in a ton of fast food and chain restaurants. I am interested to try!

This seems like it could be a start toward my nightmare: That all of the restaurants will get rid of all vegan/vegetarian options that are tasty (but don't taste like meat), in favor of ones that "taste just like meat".

I get that this would make a lot of vegans/vegetarians happy, and it's alleged to be good for the planet, which is all very nice, and probably makes it a good thing in the big picture.

In my small picture, as someone who became vegetarian in part because I don't much like meat, it might kind of s**k. I also wonder about the fun that disgruntled, underpaid kitchen staff will have feeding actual meat to vegans because the product is nearly indistinguishable. In my case, that wouldn't cause me moral anxiety, but it could possibly give me some serious digestive distress.

(When I've accidentally eaten something with meat broth, that's sometimes come to my attention because, after nearly 45 years of vegetarianism, my body (or my microbiome?) doesn't seem to handle it all that well. Not true for all veg*ans, but sometimes happens for me. I don't think it's suggestability, because the digestive distress has usually triggered (thus preceded) investigation and discovery, rather than happening after I discover I ate something subtle but meaty. It's pretty hard to tell by flavor if - for example - otherwise strongly flavored soups, sauces, casseroles and the like contain substantial chicken broth.)

I could be wrong, but I don't see this as much of a risk.

I don't think BK would get rid of their non meat options (none of which are burgers, unless I am too out of touch with the menu), as they serve different niches (fries, salads). Same with other fast food type places.

For nicer places, the vegetarian options seem much more variety, and I can't imagine them thinking fake meat serves the same niche. At the least they'd have the other options too. I've been to some veg/vegan places that use seitan and tempeh in various dishes as if they were meat, but also have a huge range of other options for those who do not want that. As for non meat options at the average restaurant, they often have no kind of meat sub used in any of the veg options at all, IMO, so I wouldn't expect them to all have that.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    LEAVE MY MEAT ALONE!😤

Adding more non-meat options doesn't remove options for omnivores.

I know... I just thinks it's sad that we have to make veggies into burgers for Americans to eat them... joking btw..
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    LEAVE MY MEAT ALONE!😤

I know... I just thinks it's sad that we have to make veggies into burgers for Americans to eat them... joking btw..

I know you are joking, but It's not really vegetables... Mainly soy, coconut and sunflower oil, and some other "stuff" to add nutrition or beefiness or whatever.

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
    https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients-
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    LEAVE MY MEAT ALONE!😤

Why assume Americans? I can take my Sikh Indian friend who doesn't eat meat to BK and he can have an Impossible Whopper and I'll have a traditional Whopper.

We'll skip the fries and the mayo as those are the real killers :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    They're a $2 B company. Demand! :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    No - just no. I attempt to avoid overly processed foods & fast foods if at all possible. We raise our own beef & have it processed - there's no chemicals in it and it's healthy.

All matter is made of chemicals.

I sell chemical free food. It's crazy expensive because there's no devil gluten or demon GMOs or toxins or anything. Really it's just an empty box, because that's all you get without chemicals. But it's a $100 empty box with a lot of bullet points on the label.

I guess to be honest the box is made of chemicals.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    LEAVE MY MEAT ALONE!😤

Why assume Americans? I can take my Sikh Indian friend who doesn't eat meat to BK and he can have an Impossible Whopper and I'll have a traditional Whopper.

We'll skip the fries and the mayo as those are the real killers :)

It was satire.... I guess I am going to have to build a safe space around me...
  • tbright1965

Sorry, can't really tell if something is satire or genuine taking of offense these days.

There really needs to be a satire/sarcasm font...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Sorry, can't really tell if something is satire or genuine taking of offense these days.

ThErE iS oNe BuT iT's NoT eAsY oN tHe EyEs. (and a pain to write)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

I woulda though Psych saying "joking btw" was at least as clear as a satire font, but I guess that's just me. ;)
  • tbright1965
    Because apparently I fail at reading.

Yes, it was totally my fail.

DOH!
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I woulda though Psych saying "joking btw" was at least as clear as a satire font, but I guess that's just me. ;)

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I never go to Burger King for anything, ever. I like black bean burgers, mushroom burgers, don’t like soy burgers. But that could be because I love black beans and mushrooms, don’t like soy. I am definitely a meat eater, and veggie burgers will definitely never replace beef burgers for me. I just see them as an occasional alternative.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    I would also be curious to see how processed it is/ what the ingredients are. I struggle to eat a lot of protein so that would be a concern for me, personally.

I think the idea is very interesting. A and W has Beyond Meat burgers and Beyond Meat breakfast sausage sandwiches. I have only tried the burger. To be fair, I can't remember what A and W beef burgers taste like but this vegetarian one got the job done.

Tim Hortons is testing out Beyond Meat breakfast sandwiches.. I think its somewhat of a craze, which I support if it will improve environmental impacts...Particularly, in a healthful way. I, personally, would be willing to pay a dollar more for something I felt was a superior product whether that be environmentally or in taste. I don't see a downside to greater consumer choice.