Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    @purplefizzy
    Gather:
    2lbs of eggplant and cut in half. Place cut side up into an oven at 425F for 30min (until charred and soft)
    Half an onion + 100g mushrooms + garlic + outer leafs and ribs of a cauliflower head + half a tomato + couple hairloom carrots.
    200g shrimp + yogurt + tandoori seasoning and mix all this together set aside.
    Salt + pepper + curry powder (1tbsp).

Next.
    As the eggplant is roasting saute all the veggies and towards the end stir in the curry powder. Season to your liking.
    When the eggplant is done, remove it from the oven and allow to cool a bit. Scoop all the pulp form one half and add to your veggies, mix it all up. Take that mix and place into the eggplant skin. It will be a quite a big pile.
    Skewer the shrimp and place into the oven along with the eggplant until the shrimp are cooked, 10 minutes or so.
    Drizzle with tahini and done.

Hope this helps? Simple but soooooooooooooo damn good.

Thank you!!!!
    Especially love that it uses the cauliflower parts so brilliantly. I’ve discovered that my produce scraps make terrible veg stock (wrong combo of things) but I’m getting better at turning green stuff and stems into chimichurri type slurries.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I experimented with okra last night (along with a bunch of other veg). I don't think I'd had it outside of gumbo before, and I was reminded of why it works in gumbo, as well as why many don't care for it -- nice flavor, but slimy in a way that could add to the texture of a thick soup, but not quite right for what I did with it.

I didn't mind it, but I recall a recommendation for roasting it and eliminating the sliminess -- @just_Tomek, was that your recommendation/instructions?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure if post this here or volume thread. Here cause it's all vegg and some shrimp, there cause it's a lot of food for few calories. Curried veggies stuffed eggplant and grilled tandoori shrimp drizzled with tahini sauce.

kb8ytdjzkqpb.jpg

What ya talking about?!? WOW! The answer is YES and thanks for posting!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    ficro4vnt6je.jpeg

Roasted Okra (425, oiled sheet pan, TJs everyday seasoning- thanks, Tom!) with salad (fennel, pear, spinach, pinenuts), with chickpea faux hummus dip (chickpeas, lemon, pine nuts, spices.)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    ficro4vnt6je.jpeg

Roasted Okra (425, oiled sheet pan, TJs everyday seasoning- thanks, Tom!) with salad (fennel, pear, spinach, pinenuts), with chickpea faux hummus dip (chickpeas, lemon, pine nuts, spices.)

Ohhhh wow.... we really do eat very very similar things and similar way.

Why you think I stalk you? ;)
    I haven’t had okra since I was 5, in gumbo in the bayou. Gotta admit I was skeptical in theory, but you’ve never steered me wrong. This was no exception. Okra is now on the list of foods I find acceptable to keep in freezer :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    lalk9uqep8ya.jpeg

Farmers market score.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
  • rvfamilyfour
    rvfamilyfour Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The veggie recipes sound amazing. I am always looking for new recipes. And a lot of this stuff I have never heard of. Can't wait to try!

This is one of our families favorite recipes. https://www.prouditaliancook.com/2012/01/winter-vegetable-torte.html

As the vegetables start to grow in the garden I like to make recipes like this: https://www.reneeskitchenadventures.com/2015/07/summer-vegetable-saute.html (though I use fresh tomatoes out of our garden)

New for me is radishes. I really never cooked with them before but I decided to try them in a few recipes.

I was surprised how easily the kids took to eating more vegetables when I started adding them to the meal plan.

Thank for the share,
    Lisa
  • purplefizzy
    edited May 2019
    Options
    b3x8bsq43ngx.jpeg

sh2gibnoer8n.jpeg

Spaghetti squash with green curry cream sauce, roasted kabocha, salmon, herbs, avocado

Curry sauce is sautéed leek and onion, some puréed cauli-coconut-cashew cream sauce base (leftover, also has white miso, nooch), added more coconut milk, some fish sauce, green curry paste.

Stirred in fresh shelled green peas, chopped snap peas, bell pepper.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited May 2019
    Options
    b3x8bsq43ngx.jpeg

sh2gibnoer8n.jpeg

Spaghetti squash with green curry cream sauce, roasted kabocha, salmon, herbs, avocado

Curry sauce is sautéed leek and onion, some puréed cauli-coconut-cashew cream sauce base (leftover, also has white miso, nooch), added more coconut milk, some fish sauce, green curry paste.

I <3 LOVE <3 seeing/reading what/how you eat--you're (and your dishes are) fabulous, period.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    @rvfamilyfour did you try roasting radishes yet? If not, do so. They change in both texture and the taste. Very different from raw.

I second this! Roasting radishes is awesome. I like to roast them, grill them, or pan cook them. They are awesome sliced thin and topped with a bunch of spices , then baked in the oven until crisp. One of my favorite salad/stir fry toppers.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    @rvfamilyfour did you try roasting radishes yet? If not, do so. They change in both texture and the taste. Very different from raw.

I second this! Roasting radishes is awesome. I like to roast them, grill them, or pan cook them. They are awesome sliced thin and topped with a bunch of spices , then baked in the oven until crisp. One of my favorite salad/stir fry toppers.

Third-sies.
    This winter was my first experience with roasted radish. So in love. I like them in garlic/lemon/OO/S/P.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    b3x8bsq43ngx.jpeg

sh2gibnoer8n.jpeg

I <3 LOVE <3 seeing/reading what/how you eat--you're (and your dishes are) fabulous, period.

Thank you!! I find kitchen time (and foraging in the world for ingredients) really therapeutic.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of meals based on dips for raw veg, Photos of Isaan nam prik ong, thai lon, and Piedmonte bagna cauda, grande alioli not pictured.
    6uoqbi7cpe4g.jpeg
    ez9ixr9tyo18.jpg
    uoflpr97xbni.jpeg

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I am a big fan of meals based on dips for raw veg, Photos of Isaan nam prik ong, thai lon, and Piedmonte bagna cauda, grande alioli not pictured.
    6uoqbi7cpe4g.jpeg
    ez9ixr9tyo18.jpg
    uoflpr97xbni.jpeg

The answer is YES, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    b3x8bsq43ngx.jpeg

sh2gibnoer8n.jpeg

Thank you!! I find kitchen time (and foraging in the world for ingredients) really therapeutic.

How truly wonderful and wise--YAY YOU!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    u8jt8rih8ocs.jpeg
    Easy 10+ per day here. Love me some produce!

Looks fabulous and I'm with ya 100%...LOVE me some produce too--so good and versatile!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

I am trying to get back into that mindset. I used to love to cook, try new things, and make these awesome meals. It was therapeutic and relaxing to me. Now though... I dread it. Once I start, I love it again, but just doing it has been so hard (thanks depression and anxiety!).
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    u8jt8rih8ocs.jpeg
    Easy 10+ per day here. Love me some produce!

Yesssssss!! Jealous of your beautiful eggplant. I’m still trying to find ones that don’t suck so I can do Tom’s curried shrimp stuffed eggplant. They have been weird and leathery at my markets lately.

And Brussels on a tree!! Produce meets decor!!