Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Split from Smoothie lovers

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Smoothie lovers.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Rule of thumb with smoothies is to avoid using fruit. When you blitz fruit it changes the way your body processes the fructose. If your goal is to lose weight i would avoid fruit all together.

Why would you avoid fruit if your goal is weight loss?

Fruit is a good source of fibre, vitamins & minerals. Fibre can help you feel full which in turn can help you better maintain a calorie deficit, which is what is needed for weight loss.

Fruit is mainly sugar. Yes there are also many health benefits to fruit but all of these can be consumed, without the sugar in the form of vegetables. Avoid the fruit while cutting weight will help regulate your insulin.

You know what also has sugar in them? Vegetables.

Man, do you really want to be that person!?
    Of course they do, most food does. But fruit or fructose is called nature’s candy for a reason and one piece is more than your daily requirement of sugar. It’s just logic.

Well given the misinformation you've been posting, yes. I do. Never mind that this all fails to mention that what's important for weight loss is calories, not sugar. And yes, of course there are calories in sugar, but there are also calories in other carbohydrates, protein, etc.

I'm also not sure how you're getting that "one piece" of fruit and/or candy is more than one's daily requirement of sugar. That's not at all logical given the different amounts of sugar in fruit, the wide variety of sizes in fruit, and what constitutes "one piece".

Ok first of all, never said calories were not the most important. They are. Secondly i was suggesting to not consume fruit in smoothies because it is easily over consumed, it changes the way and speed at which the body processes the sugar (causing that post sugar crash where people tend to binge after)

I am not forgetting the other macro's, in fact i am taking those into consideration ...

there is roughly 23 grams of sugar in a large apple.

Recommended daily amounts of sugar:
    https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

in an average male that doesn't leave you much space in the typical diet.

on top of this, people often consume smoothies first thing in the morning, spiking your insulin which is counter productive.

i could go on if you want. i have plenty more information.

I used to get a sugar crash years ago when I juiced, but that was mostly carrots and other veggies, not a lot (if any) fruit.

I avoid that these days by making smoothies, which retains the fiber, and adding fat and protein.

Apple juice will give me a sugar crash, but not whole apples. However, I don't find apples especially filling unless I pair them with a source of protein and fat, like cheese and/or peanut butter.