Why you should NEVER pick a weight loss method because it helped someone else lose weight.

13»

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    A coworker was having success slowly losing weight with the help of an app called MFP and I tried it. It worked for me too and I’ve kept the weight off for 5 years and counting. I’m glad I tried it, how else would I have known it could work?
    Other coworkers were doing things like cleanses, restrictive diets, patches, fasting for days, “little purple pills”, wishing they could get free gastric bypass and not getting any lasting results so that stuff did not appeal to me to try. These coworkers tried MFP but wanted instant gratification instead so they didn’t stick with it long term. They are still obese.
    There’s nothing wrong with trying something reasonable that worked for someone else but we have to use our own good judgment and be realistic. There is no magic fix. We have to be willing to put in the work to reap the benefits and be patient enough to see the results. Sometimes we just have to be ready and willing to change.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    The only calorie-deficit plan that works is the one you can stick to.

True and in actuality you will only lose fat if you are maintaining a daily caloric deficit. All of those plans that are working for people are doing so because it is making them eat less calories. It may not be the big selling point to each diet or how its presented. But consuming less calories than you expend is what is actually causing the weight loss.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,306 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    3) Even if a person lost all the weight they wanted to lose and maintained that loss for years it only means they are an expert on themselves. Much of weight loss is mental not physical and while we all may lose weight because of a calorie deficit we won't have the same mentality while doing it.
    This is a great point. I'm a long way away from my goal and maintenance - I'm not even the person you described, who has been successful in both weight loss AND maintenance - but it's still easy for me to start thinking that my way is the right way because I've actually started to have some success and it has lasted longer than any of my previous weight loss attempts. But ultimately, I've only figured out what is working for me. Just because something works for me doesn't mean it will work for someone else, and just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    3) Even if a person lost all the weight they wanted to lose and maintained that loss for years it only means they are an expert on themselves. Much of weight loss is mental not physical and while we all may lose weight because of a calorie deficit we won't have the same mentality while doing it.
    This is a great point. I'm a long way away from my goal and maintenance - I'm not even the person you described, who has been successful in both weight loss AND maintenance - but it's still easy for me to start thinking that my way is the right way because I've actually started to have some success and it has lasted longer than any of my previous weight loss attempts. But ultimately, I've only figured out what is working for me. Just because something works for me doesn't mean it will work for someone else, and just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

Agreed. I would even go so far as to say that my exact system of weight reduction (food choices, rules, etc) would probably not work for most people. Some of the things I do like trying to be happy each day I will suggest to other people but they are pretty generic.

It is also worth noting that just because we are both on MFP and presumably both calorie counting that does not mean we are "doing the same thing." We probably have many things in common but have vastly more that is different between us.