Yo-Yo Here We Go.....Again!!!!

Looking for some knowledge bombs or experiences that you think might help a cyclical dieter.

I believe I am the definition of the yo-yo dieter. I lean out, pig out, lean out, pig out worse than last time, lean out....I always keep on track of my macros until i see im 95% of the way to fully fledged abs and then BOOM self-sabotage. I binge...for weeks / months on end and delete MFP from my phone.

Part of me thinks its ok to binge because I've turned my *kitten* around before and thats how I justify it. The other part of me is screaming at myself "WTF are you doing...stop it now!!!" LOL

Anyway, I know deep down that an "80% good diet all the time" is better than "100% perfect diet some of the time". But why cant I listen to this advice? Is it because the binge eating is fun? And why does binge eating allow me to justify not exercising?

Can anyone else relate? How did you fix the problem? Please help before this Dad Bod becomes a Fat Bod...again :)

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    I think I need to find a plan that I can stick with. I can be all or nothing about it. I think if I feel too deprived, it’s just not going to be something I can live with.
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Right there with ya. Please share when you figure it out. It’s like car, I seem to either be gunning it 100mph or jamming it into reverse. For once in my life, would be nice to just stay in park.

I feel the same way. EXACTLY!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Now we’re on the same page @caelsav - thanks for your follow-up.
  • caelsav
    caelsav Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2019
    teranga79 wrote: »
    caelsav wrote: »
    Why don't you just shorten the cycle? Eat clean/keep track 5-6 days out of the week, and then give yourself a binge day or two.

Lots of us don't have anything like that level of control! A binge day or two turns into six months of full-on BED (with associated self-loathing and other mental health issues).

Thank you for pointing this out, @teranga79. I can't possibly imagine what you all go through. I'm glad you have each other for support. We all have our own battles. They just vary for each person. Keep doing your best. That's all you can do.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Both of the posts above describe my approach as well.

Thank you❣️
    The turtle 🐢 is successful.
  • ksharrell48
    ksharrell48 Posts: 170 Member
    Not sure I have any advice for you; as others have said, finding what works for *you* is so individual, but I assuredly can relate to several things you wrote.
    Yes, for me, binge eating is fun! All the plans I make eating high-calorie, tasty foods. And so much easier that plotting out future meals as I just wing it and eat whatever I want, however much I want. But I'm learning that "fun" comes with a cost (guilt, weight gain) so I'm trying to limit how long my binges last.
    I also limit my exercise while I binge; I feel like it's counterproductive to the binge, if that makes sense. (Eating disorders rarely make sense.) I conversely begin exercising in earnest along with healthier eating after the binge is over as I feel I'm getting more "bang for my buck" by combining the two.
    And you asked how anyone "fixed the problem." I look at my eating patterns/disorder as something that won't necessarily get "fixed" but dealt with, like grief. That way, I won't set myself up for unrealistic expectations that one day, my binges (or grief symptoms) will just up and vanish.
    I hope you'll find the best way for you to deal with your binges. We're here for you.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Right there with ya. Please share when you figure it out. It’s like car, I seem to either be gunning it 100mph or jamming it into reverse. For once in my life, would be nice to just stay in park.

so much THIS!!!