Starting runners:lets motivate each others

Replies

• smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    I run early in the morning. I get up at 5am, have a cup of tea and get going around 6. I take my dog so he gets bonus exercise to :)

I’m had a bit of a breakthru the last couple of runs. I’m being more consistent with getting out there and my piriformis has really settled down. I was doing Pilates 3 times a week which I quit and now the piriformis syndrome seems to have quit with it- yey! My times are improving and I’m feeling fitter 🙂
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I run in the evening after work. Often I’ll change clothes at work and use the jogging trail at the local park before heading home.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    I do 80% of my runs over my lunch hour

@smcurtis1981. Yaaaas!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    edited May 2019
    Shepeess wrote: »
    I keep getting home after cycling back from work wanting to go for jog ... and then feel too tired. So instead I eat which isn’t great really...When you u go out to run? I want to get with the programme.;)

I usually try to run at around 19:00. I'm fuelled from dinner but it's been about 60-90 minutes since. At the moment I hardly ever start running from 20:00 though for some reason, which I try to avoid as it's too close to sleeping and I get restless at night. I never do any sport other than cycling longer distances and hiking during daytime as my bloodpressure is too fickle then.
  • yirara
    small 4km run today. Looks like I'm over my travels as I started out fairly fast (fast for me) and kept it up for the whole run. I actually wanted to do a slightly longer run but was too restless. The running website I use (smashrun) that usually mentions some motivational things only commented

Notable (as of the date of this run)
    Nothing notable

Grrr.. at least it was the fastest run this month apart from the very short one on Aland. Oh well.. need to find motivation in that I did have a fantastic and enjoyable run.
  • littlesaint7780
    littlesaint7780 Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve just started running in my local park run, but only running for short periods, then transitioning to walking pace. I mainly walk everywhere, but getting into running more to help shift these pounds.
  • hobansarah
    hobansarah Posts: 16 Member
    Hi Just starting couch 2 5k I am on week 1 run 2 . I started as couldn't afford my gym membership. It has made me realise how unfit I am but feel determined. Except people keep telling me running is really bad for your joints
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    hobansarah wrote: »
    Hi Just starting couch 2 5k I am on week 1 run 2 . I started as couldn't afford my gym membership. It has made me realise how unfit I am but feel determined. Except people keep telling me running is really bad for your joints

I definitely felt unfit those first couple of weeks. Keep a slow pace and hang in there. Repeat weeks as needed. It’s a great program.
  • yirara
    Yay, 4 miles run done. I wasn't quite sure how many km 4 miles is and so I settled on 6.70km to be sure. Now I know it's 6.43km. Oh well.. Ran for nearly 1 hour without interruption, which is great as well. On the downside: it wasn't a nice run as my HR dropped every time I ran into the wind, and as such I could not run fast then as I was lacking the oxygen to do so. Stupid reversed PoTs.
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    I have been running on and off for the last decade but I have always been very slow! Then the last two years fell off the health wagon and just started my journey back to health in January. Picked up running again (on the treadmill mostly) and am trying to just increase my speed and I do a lot of interval training too. If anyone has good suggestions for programs that help you (what days to do what/cross training etc) I'd love to hear it! I do Peloton running app at the gym and that is really fun and helpful but it doesn't really tell you when to run, when to cross train. I have absolutely no ambition or interest in running long distances, just like doing my 30-60 minute runs for exercise and challenge.
    I also do power walking, swimming, and yoga to keep my body from getting hurt with overuse in one area.
  • yirara
    6.8km, and quite a bit faster than two days ago. Getting closer to 7km now :D
    And I finally got a new hr band. Decided on a Polar OH1, and it's so much better than my old Scosche Rhythm+ was at the end. Happy there.

He, @korina75 Looks like we're about the same age if that's your birth year! You're doing well if you're able to run for 60 minutes! Just keep at it, maybe build in a somewhat longer run every now and then as speed is also build by running slow and long
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    @yirara Yup! That's my birth year! :) I don't do 60 minutes very often, mostly 30 minutes. 60 is my max! I may give it a try today though. Happy Running!
  • lybarni
    lybarni Posts: 48 Member
    @korina75 hey my name is Linda. I just started learning to run but have been searching for almost a year for a good ‘doable’ program. Look up From Fat To Finish Lund’ online. I’m only doing their learn to run a mile program running 30second intervals and walking 90 seconds. But, I know they have different running programs especially for more advanced runners. I just love their attitutude and their motivation and their support network has been awesome! Just a thought.
  • lybarni
    @hobansarah hi Saran I’m Linda. I’m new to running too. I’m 51 and teaching myself to run! I tried the couch to 5k program but unfortunately since I’ve literally really never exercised in my life found I couldn’t keep up with the pace. I couldn’t run for 1 minute the first week. But, I did find a program called ‘FromFatto Finish Line’ they have programs of different levels but I’m doing their learning to run 1 mile program as I have found that smaller goals are more likely to be attainable! And reachable atleast for me. It’s a run 30 secs/ walk 90 seconds x10 the first week 3x’s. Then the following week they up you to running/I really jog because I can’t run at this point 60 secs/ walk 90 secs x8 3x’s that week with either stretching or cross training in the between days. I love it. They have a great support group on Facebook and have found it not so hard. Just thought I would suggest it. After I finish the 1 mile program I will probably do their 5 k program as that’s my goal. Good luck!
  • lybarni
    Hey everyone! I had a not so good week so far. I got into a bad funk on Dunday and am now just coming out of. I really had a hard time with day 1 of my week 2 FFTFL 1mile program. I found I could run for a minute but couldn’t complete all 8 cycles which bummed me out. I know now that things aren’t going to happen right away. I’m going to do Week 1 again and again until I have to until I feel ready to move on. Atleast I’ll be moving right? I just have to remember ‘ I am stronger than what is before me’ we all do!! We are all strong and we can all do this!!
  • lybarni
    lybarni wrote: »
    @korina75 hey my name is Linda. I just started learning to run but have been searching for almost a year for a good ‘doable’ program. Look up From Fat To Finish Line online. I’m only doing their learn to run a mile program running 30second intervals and walking 90 seconds. But, I know they have different running programs especially for more advanced runners. I just love their attitutude and their motivation and their support network has been awesome! Just a thought.

• smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Lybarni I’ve had a terrible week to so I hear you! My last run was last Tuesday and it hurt. I’ve started having trouble with one of my knees now, just as I was getting over the piriformis in my right buttock - gahhh!! It was also my period week and I’ve just been so knackered and my whole body hurt I couldn’t contemplate running. Back at it this week I hope.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    lybarni wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I had a not so good week so far. I got into a bad funk on Dunday and am now just coming out of. I really had a hard time with day 1 of my week 2 FFTFL 1mile program. I found I could run for a minute but couldn’t complete all 8 cycles which bummed me out. I know now that things aren’t going to happen right away. I’m going to do Week 1 again and again until I have to until I feel ready to move on. Atleast I’ll be moving right? I just have to remember ‘ I am stronger than what is before me’ we all do!! We are all strong and we can all do this!!

Repeating weeks is fine, there’s no shame in it. But if you are struggling, try slowing way down. At first there is no such thing as too slow. Some people when starting out even run slower than walking. The main thing is to get used to the gait of running, which has a moment when both feet are off the ground.

If you can rapidly walk 30 minutes you should be ready for c25k. If rapidly walking for 30 minutes is still hard, you may want to build a walking fitness base before trying to run.

All you new runners, keep it up! Also, feel welcome to join the running challenge thread, if you are running, you are a runner, even if you are brand new!