Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Starting runners:lets motivate each others

124»

Replies

• zoedayan7zoedayan7 Posts: 16Member Member Posts: 16Member Member
    Ooh struggling this week. It was week 5 run1 this morning and it took me 10mins stretching before I could unwind enough to get started! Really don't want to give up but the monkey-on-my-shoulder is screaming. Help!
  • FocusOnNutritionHollyFocusOnNutritionHolly Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I’m slowly getting back to running. It seems so hard after taking a long break. Today I created a new MFP account to track nutrition again. Definitely excited to get that cardio level back up. Good luck on your goals🙌🏻 We got this!
  • yirarayirara Posts: 3,927Member Member Posts: 3,927Member Member
    Hey all, sorry for not posting anymore. Keep it up, you're all brilliant!

Me, I was sick for the past week and too low on energy due to working up to 18 hours a day. But I'm picking it up again, tonight hopefully if the weather stays good.
  • WholeFoods4LyfeWholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,400Member Member Posts: 1,400Member Member
    I was running with some regularity back in 2010-2012, gettin out 3-4 days a week and running between 4-6 miles. Then I hurt my back and all exercise stopped. Due to my injury, my inability to workout, and just being complacent, I gained over 140lbs. Yes. 140lbs. On my 5'2" frame, I weighed twice what I should. My weight has been a struggle for the last 7 years, gaining and losing, gaining and losing. I'm now down just over 50lbs from my high weight, and while I'm still morbidly obese, I'm at least moving in the right direction. For some reason I decided to start C25K last night, it was what I used to start running the last time. I don't anticipate finishing the program in the scheduled time frame because I am just THAT out of shape and am assuming I'll have to repeat several weeks. BUT you have to start somewhere, so here I am.
    Hey, running again. Only did 1 mile, which is just below the magic border (about 2km) at which my feet don't hurt anymore and my running becomes more relaxed. But hey, it was a run.
  • springlering62springlering62 Posts: 263Member Member Posts: 263Member Member
    I am just leaning to run, so please add me as a friend. I’m only two days in, but it’s two days I hadn’t done before. Am worried I will start out trying to do too much too fast, as is my curse. Will need constant reminders to start slow.
    I am just leaning to run, so please add me as a friend. I’m only two days in, but it’s two days I hadn’t done before. Am worried I will start out trying to do too much too fast, as is my curse. Will need constant reminders to start slow.

Do try to start out slowly. Try to find a pace at which you can still talk, even if it's very, very slow. You'll get faster in due time, and running slowly still is different than walking because there's a floating phase in running with both feet of the ground. That makes it so much more tiresome compared to walking, regardless of how slow you run. Go for it!

• jennibear22jennibear22 Posts: 84Member Member Posts: 84Member Member
    I am just learning, on week 3 of Couch to 5k and loving it. Even though I am only running for 3 mins at a time etc, still feel so proud of myself as I have always hated running and avoided it my entire life and convinced myself I was just incapable of it. I miss it on the rest days but do long 5-7 k very brisk walks instead. If anyone wants to add me feel free.
  • smcurtis1981smcurtis1981 Posts: 46Member Member Posts: 46Member Member
    I feel I’ve turned a corner and finally getting somewhere with my fitness. Yey!
    Can run most of my 4.5 km route now and my piriformis is almost gone.
    Starting to enjoy myself again
  • springlering62springlering62 Posts: 263Member Member Posts: 263Member Member
    Funny you mention piriformis. I have painful “yoga butt” on one side, and now the other is starting to hurt. I noticed when I ran yesterday, it stopped hurting. Have mercy, if it helps with that, I’m all over this running thing!

Any suggestions for sore toe tips? I remember a few years back when I was walking, my toes would turn black and blue, but haven’t had that problem in years. I’ve got some nice new New Balance shoes that were fitted at one of their stores, and they are broken in.
  • BattyKnitterBattyKnitter Posts: 497Member Member Posts: 497Member Member
    *waves* I'm a new runner too! Just finished the Zombies, Run! 5k training program and started jogging home from work which is 6.5km 2x a week. I'm still very slow and take a lot of walking breaks but it's so nice to jog home instead of bussing!!
    Woohoo!
    Today things didn't quite work out at first. First I thought my HR meter was empty, then decided it's working but I don't feel like running. Took off shoes. Then decided it's good, windstill weather and I should. 1.5km in I knew this would be a good one.

I tried to keep the pace very, very low and ran one 3.3km loop, then repeated it, and then did a smaller loop. Only needed 500m more to run 8km or 5 miles for the first time in ages. Yes, it was slow, but hey, I ran for 1.11 minutes without walking and without feeling tired (apart from last 500m where I couldn't keep slow)! Woohoo! I feel great tonight!