Starting runners:lets motivate each others

Replies

• zoedayan7
    zoedayan7 Posts: 17 Member
    Ooh struggling this week. It was week 5 run1 this morning and it took me 10mins stretching before I could unwind enough to get started! Really don't want to give up but the monkey-on-my-shoulder is screaming. Help!
  • I’m slowly getting back to running. It seems so hard after taking a long break. Today I created a new MFP account to track nutrition again. Definitely excited to get that cardio level back up. Good luck on your goals🙌🏻 We got this!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Hey all, sorry for not posting anymore. Keep it up, you're all brilliant!

Me, I was sick for the past week and too low on energy due to working up to 18 hours a day. But I'm picking it up again, tonight hopefully if the weather stays good.
  • yirara
    Hey, running again. Only did 1 mile, which is just below the magic border (about 2km) at which my feet don't hurt anymore and my running becomes more relaxed. But hey, it was a run.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I am just leaning to run, so please add me as a friend. I’m only two days in, but it’s two days I hadn’t done before. Am worried I will start out trying to do too much too fast, as is my curse. Will need constant reminders to start slow.
  • yirara
    I am just leaning to run, so please add me as a friend. I’m only two days in, but it’s two days I hadn’t done before. Am worried I will start out trying to do too much too fast, as is my curse. Will need constant reminders to start slow.

Do try to start out slowly. Try to find a pace at which you can still talk, even if it's very, very slow. You'll get faster in due time, and running slowly still is different than walking because there's a floating phase in running with both feet of the ground. That makes it so much more tiresome compared to walking, regardless of how slow you run. Go for it!

• jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    I am just learning, on week 3 of Couch to 5k and loving it. Even though I am only running for 3 mins at a time etc, still feel so proud of myself as I have always hated running and avoided it my entire life and convinced myself I was just incapable of it. I miss it on the rest days but do long 5-7 k very brisk walks instead. If anyone wants to add me feel free.
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    I feel I’ve turned a corner and finally getting somewhere with my fitness. Yey!
    Can run most of my 4.5 km route now and my piriformis is almost gone.
    Starting to enjoy myself again
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Funny you mention piriformis. I have painful “yoga butt” on one side, and now the other is starting to hurt. I noticed when I ran yesterday, it stopped hurting. Have mercy, if it helps with that, I’m all over this running thing!

Any suggestions for sore toe tips? I remember a few years back when I was walking, my toes would turn black and blue, but haven’t had that problem in years. I’ve got some nice new New Balance shoes that were fitted at one of their stores, and they are broken in.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    *waves* I'm a new runner too! Just finished the Zombies, Run! 5k training program and started jogging home from work which is 6.5km 2x a week. I'm still very slow and take a lot of walking breaks but it's so nice to jog home instead of bussing!!
  • yirara
    Woohoo!
    Today things didn't quite work out at first. First I thought my HR meter was empty, then decided it's working but I don't feel like running. Took off shoes. Then decided it's good, windstill weather and I should. 1.5km in I knew this would be a good one.

I tried to keep the pace very, very low and ran one 3.3km loop, then repeated it, and then did a smaller loop. Only needed 500m more to run 8km or 5 miles for the first time in ages. Yes, it was slow, but hey, I ran for 1.11 minutes without walking and without feeling tired (apart from last 500m where I couldn't keep slow)! Woohoo! I feel great tonight!
  • yirara
    9km done. The first 3 were ok, next three very difficult including heavy legs and poor breathing control. And afterwards I somehow ended up in an odd flow where everything seemed easy. Nice one!
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Hi all, I'm on week 7 of c25k and it's really getting real now! I have a 10k in October and would love to be able to run all of the way..... but right now dont know how I can go from 20 to 25 to 28 to 30 to 35 in my next four runs!!!! Reading through this thread has been really motivating!
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Im mixing it up this week with some hiking instead of running. Did a 12.5 km challenging hike this morning on our “Bump track” near home (an old trail that was used 100 years ago as an access road) Very steep but beautiful and nearly all rainforest.
    Another planned for the weekend which will be an all day hike. Then I think a few days off from all exercise .
  • yirara
    kilobykilo wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm on week 7 of c25k and it's really getting real now! I have a 10k in October and would love to be able to run all of the way..... but right now dont know how I can go from 20 to 25 to 28 to 30 to 35 in my next four runs!!!! Reading through this thread has been really motivating!

That's minutes, right? Just try to run slow and depending on what kind of person you are
    a) celebrate every minute extra
    b) don't look at the time
    If you're able to run for 20 minutes then 25 is not a lot more. Just keep trotting on. Speed comes later. Once you see you can run 25 minutes then 28 won't sound so daunting anymore, etc.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Last Saturday, I ran my first 10k since I started training again after a few years off. Pretty pleased. I managed to keep the same pace I'd had for my 5k back in March over the longer distance. Hoping to shave a little time off before the Peachtree 10k in July, but either way, this bodes well for my first half marathon in November.
  • arialb122
    arialb122 Posts: 34 Member
    I am in the same boat! In 2016 and 2017, I ran 8 half marathons, but had to stop due to chronic plantar fasciitis. As of this week, I am getting back into the swing of things. I have had three runs using interval training, and have complete roughly 5k each time. It is coming back quicker than I feared! I'd love to have an accountability buddy.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    @yirara … thanks for the post. Congrats on your progress. I’ve been running for a while, did a few HM’s last year. However I broke my fibula on a trail run in November. Dang tree root … lol. Anyway been lazy in recovery ever since. Needed a kick in the pants to get going again. Just started a 10k plan. Thanks for the motivation!
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    @yirara thanks for the support! Not sure I can not look at the time, but would love to employ that method!

Rest day today, gonna try 25 mins in the morning on a flat route.... let's see!

For those of you running / who have run longer intervals, what do you do to stop getting bored? Think I focused too much on the time last run because I was bored and wanted it over so I could get on with me day.....