Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I always thought weight gain was a result of to many calories & not enough exercise !

2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    DKLI wrote: »
    I think sometimes new dieters think of 1200 calories as an abstract concept and not something that should be meticulously tracked to be accurate. They have a mental idea of how much food that is end up wondering why it doesn't work. I also wonder about those who feel "stuffed" all day on 1200 calories.

I think that low ball number is often used BECAUSE people greatly underestimate their calories.

Feeling stuffed at under 1200 puzzles me but when some people start a diet they are fine under eating for awhile not feeling "hungry". Excitement of a new plan especially if there is quick water drop making scale go down. Some people may not be big eaters (gained the weight eating little food quantity wise but food high in calories). So maybe when they go to so called "diet food" which is lower in cal/fat it's more in quantity than they can handle being smaller quantity eaters.

but yes i think most are not calculating their intake properly.

It's a funny thing about not feeling hungry on low calories. Why as a 400lbs man did I not experience much hunger until i went lower than a certain weight? I went on a high protein, lower fat, high fruit and vegetable diet. I had hunger issues at the start for about 5 days. Then.... nothing...NOTHING... I underrate by up to 2000 calories a day. Not recommending this btw. When I started weighing and measuring my food is when I am pretty certain I was eating less than 2000 calories a day with a tdee estimate of over 4000? I did not get hunger until I went under 210lbs. Why? Bf set point? Why not until I hit that weight? I was eating more, but same diet style? It's a freaking mystery to me.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I think sometimes new dieters think of 1200 calories as an abstract concept and not something that should be meticulously tracked to be accurate. They have a mental idea of how much food that is end up wondering why it doesn't work. I also wonder about those who feel "stuffed" all day on 1200 calories.

I think that low ball number is often used BECAUSE people greatly underestimate their calories.

Feeling stuffed at under 1200 puzzles me but when some people start a diet they are fine under eating for awhile not feeling "hungry". Excitement of a new plan especially if there is quick water drop making scale go down. Some people may not be big eaters (gained the weight eating little food quantity wise but food high in calories). So maybe when they go to so called "diet food" which is lower in cal/fat it's more in quantity than they can handle being smaller quantity eaters.

but yes i think most are not calculating their intake properly.

It's a funny thing about not feeling hungry on low calories. Why as a 400lbs man did I not experience much hunger until i went lower than a certain weight? I went on a high protein, lower fat, high fruit and vegetable diet. I had hunger issues at the start for about 5 days. Then.... nothing...NOTHING... I underrate by up to 2000 calories a day. Not recommending this btw. When I started weighing and measuring my food is when I am pretty certain I was eating less than 2000 calories a day with a tdee estimate of over 4000? I did not get hunger until I went under 210lbs. Why? Bf set point? Why not until I hit that weight? I was eating more, but same diet style? It's a freaking mystery to me.

Because as a 400 pound man you had a lot more fat stores to tap into so you were able to sustain a larger deficit. The more body fat you have, the larger the deficit your body can sustain as it will tap into those fat stores.

I am 110 pounds now but started out at 139 with a high BF%. Because of my body fat percentage, I was able to get away with 1200 to 1400 calories gross, not net, for a few months without feeling tired despite being highly active. I dropped 20 pounds within my first two months even though it's not advisable to do so for someone at my starting weight. Now at 110 pounds, I need to eat 2000 to 2400 calories gross on average to maintain. If I even tried to eat 1200 to 1400 calories, I would gnaw my arm off. I usually eat that many calories by lunchtime and my body will surely let me know if I haven't.

Thanks for the info. I am away that I was carrying hundreds of thousands of extra calories of potential energy. So, of course I could go long periods with less energy intake. Why only hunger issues when i dropped under 210. I know some about the lipostatic pathways of leptin to the hypothalamus. So, yes my leptin was probably very high as heavy as I was. According to the theory of leptin resistance contributing to he continual obese state, my hunger SHOULD have been fighting me the whole way. Why only at the beginning and at that point. My leptin should have been low enough to make me hungry at say 300lbs.... I am kind of just grasping for straws I guess.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member

Yes, Im dreading the time (if I ever get there - I need to hope that I will), that my goal is 1200 calories because I will literally be starving on that. I will try and eat passers by. Its so small. I am more than a few stone away from that at the moment so I'll have to try and manage it when it comes.

As much as I like seeing the new weight I put in when I have lost some, I hate the fact that it knocks some calories off my intake!