Motivation in Maintenance

I have been in maintenance since January and it has been a rocky road. Getting better, thanks to the wise guidance of a new MFP friend.

One thing I notice is that finding motivators is elusive. I can no longer use the number on the scale going down, which was very reinforcing ( staying at the same number, not nearly so much.)

I have already bought all the new clothes I can afford 🙂

"Being healthier and more fit" is great, but not immediately compelling.

Clearly, the issue is more discipline and habit, than "motivation". But, I am interested to hear what others have found that helps with motivation a d focus.

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I have shifted my motivation from losing weight to gaining muscle and being fit. Since the two (maintaining and weight lifting) go hand in hand it's been an easy transition.

Maybe find something else that motivates you?
  • jzcolombiana84
    jzcolombiana84 Posts: 22 Member
    My motivation is my daughter. She’s 6yrs old and an equestrian also. Just watching how much she has learned in 1 yr of riding x 3 days a week is amazing. So I decided that I needed to be strong and healthy for her and for me too.
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    For instance I find hitting 10K steps per day hugely motivating. I am still chasing a number I guess just wanting this one to go up.My current streak is 421 days and honestly I just don't want to loose that impressive number and start again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, although you're a couple of months ahead of me!

Besides long-term goals, little mini-goals/"games" help through the week, whether it's hitting steps, reps, "how much can I eat volume-wise and still stay under x calories in this meal?", etc. I didn't need a Fitbit, for instance, but I get probably too much satisfaction out of completing those circles. :lol:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,955 Member
    I notice the little things!
    A car parked Very Close to mine & I could get in the driver’s door!

I wore a knit top today that I used to wear to *hide* my overweight self in it’s draping & today I went out in public - happily & confidently with the ends tied in a not at my waist.

I walked 5 miles with a friend < twice my age & *she* was tired. 👍

I will do what @cheryldumais did. And write these down! I never want to forget!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,955 Member
    @jan110144
    I think the key is habits, practicing then in the long run.
    I have some for my macros/micros.
    Some for calories.
    Some for exercise.

I made gradual habit changes over 3-1/3 years & entered maintenance so gradually that I literally do now what I’ve been doing for the past 4-5 months with no appreciable weight loss, so I’d gotten used to not seeing scale move prior to “calling maintenance.”

At this point, I’m trying to figure out my exercise goals. I’m so used to my step goal that it feels like a security blanket, but I know weightlifting is key now. I’m not sure who to ask for help with this new balancing!
  • roma49
    roma49 Posts: 173 Member
    I am goal focused so not seeing the scale move is a hard one for me, I need to re focus, set myself a target ~ still working out what I want my goals to be !!
    Also I have to remind myself that extra treats/desserts are trigger foods for me leading to a piranha feeding frenzy ... not a pretty sight (I haven't learnt moderation on the sweet food front yet)
    I would never have thought loosing weight would have been the 'easy' part as far as I'm concerned, Still one day at a time, consistency and remembering why I'm doing this will pay dividends in the long run I'm sure
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    My motivation would be to not get fat again
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    I think this interesting NYT article (apologies if it's behind a paywall) is apropos:

https://nyti.ms/2KbnP6T

While it looks at the achievement of life goals in general, I think it relates to how some people have difficulty maintaining after reaching their weight goal. The gist seems to be: achieving a goal gives happiness for a short time; having multiple goals, particularly tied to purpose and meaning, may help to increase one's happiness.

I know that I had to do a bit of mental readjustment after getting to GW and the initial flush of victory was gone.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    I think this interesting NYT article (apologies if it's behind a paywall) is apropos:

https://nyti.ms/2KbnP6T

While it looks at the achievement of life goals in general, I think it relates to how some people have difficulty maintaining after reaching their weight goal. The gist seems to be: achieving a goal gives happiness for a short time; having multiple goals, particularly tied to purpose and meaning, may help to increase one's happiness.

I know that I had to do a bit of mental readjustment after getting to GW and the initial flush of victory was gone.

Awesome article @reversemigration! True for career, weight loss, relationships, life in general...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    My first time on MFP was in 2012; I started after I went on a trip and ran into an old flame I had not seen for several years(we were both with other people). I was MORTIFIED that he saw me at my heaviest weight when I had always been slim before. Lost the weight, gained a bit back, and am now losing again. My motivation is to look my best when I unexpectedly go places and see people who’ve known me for a long time but whom I don’t now see that often. I don’t want to be the stereotypical person who gains a bunch of weight as they get older. Plus, when I’m heavier I never know what fits right and makes me feel that I look okay on any given day, and I HATE having to try on five different outfits before I don’t hate the way I look. When I’m slim I can pack for a weekend away without having to try on everything in my closet first.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    The most serious thing that keeps me in maintenance mode is not slipping back into the bad habits that started sending me down the path to poor health. I was damaging my liver with NAFLD, just about everyone in my family is diabetic and my fasting blood glucose was just starting to surpass 100, I was lethargic all the time, taking lots of meds and still feeling crummy. Now my liver has healed and is back to normal, blood sugar is normal, I have energy to run up mountains and hills any time I feel like it and I’m off all meds except for a low thyroid Rx (nothing I can do about that one)

The much less serious thing that keeps me maintaining is I love wearing my bikinis every chance I get! I love buying new bikinis, mixing and matching them, different cuts and fits, prints and solids, taking care of my skin so I am bikini-ready all year around and can feel confident whenever I wear them. I need to stay really close to my maintenance weight to feel my best because just 2-5 lbs shows up immediately around my waistline and then I know I need to reel myself in and start logging my meals for a few weeks and get a bit of extra exercise in to get back to where I need to be. It might be the hypothyroidism that causes me to ballon really quickly if I don’t watch my weight so I weigh myself once a week or so if I feel my clothes fitting more snugly but oftentimes I only weigh myself once a month or less. Maintenance has been a little less “exciting” than losing weight but immensely more rewarding IMHO 😁