Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Words that make you cringe

Replies

• sabl57
    sabl57 Posts: 5 Member
    I think it's a few words that bother me.

I know it sounds petty, but when casual acquaintances or non-family members says, "Wow, you've lost so much... I am really PROUD of you!" - I know these folks mean well. However, I can't help but feeling it's a judgemental observation on their part.

Why should they be "Proud" of me? "Proud" is an adjective defined as: a feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.

When I think of the word 'proud' it seems as if it should be reserved for family members, or really just for me to say about myself - as in, "Yes, I am really proud!"

Couldn't these casual friends just be happy for me? - then I would beam with pride. ;)
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    It's mostly when people mispronounce words...especially these, my Big Three pet peeves.

chipotle (chipol-tay is the worst mispronunciation)
    supposedly (NOT "supposably"...argh!)
    voluptuous (people always wanna add an "m" in the middle, like it's volumptuous)

I worked with someone who pronounced it "chip-ottle"
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Thought of one I say that bugs my mom.

Both my brother and I say the "bag" in bagel like (plastic, paper) bag. I think we say the "el" part ok.
    Apparently, according to mom, we are both wrong!
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Drives me crazy when I hear people say "golf of Mexico".
    No, it's not the GOLF it's the GULF!
  • Aveseves
    Aveseves Posts: 62 Member
    Moist. Sexy, horny, whatevs and YOLO
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Snot and horny :s

ilhv8888yby8.png
    you don't like snot?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    assuming bulking is muscle gains
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    discharge
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Gaping
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Moist
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I can't stand it when people say "kiddos" instead of children, kids, students, etc.
    It's just mildly annoying when mom friends call their children "the kiddos".
    It's rage-inducing when it's a social worker or teacher referring to teenagers or young adults with disabilities.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Thought of one I say that bugs my mom.

Both my brother and I say the "bag" in bagel like (plastic, paper) bag. I think we say the "el" part ok.
    Apparently, according to mom, we are both wrong!

I'm from Wisconsin and apparently we say bag weird, lol. We draw out the "a." So it sounds like baaaayg. How else am I supposed to pronounce it? Beg? I don't understand?
  • seltzermint555
    I can't stand it when people say "kiddos" instead of children, kids, students, etc.
    It's rage-inducing when it's a social worker or teacher referring to teenagers or young adults with disabilities.

Yeah, kiddos sounds patronizing.

It really does. I think there's just this certain way it's spoken too, very harsh on the double "d" sound that almost sounds angry and seems to be the usual way for people to pronounce it when they are trying to sound loving but really sound like condescending jerks.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    I’m pretty comfortable with all the words but one time I had this really weird ten minutes where I couldn’t believe that “o’clock” was a real word
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    I’m pretty comfortable with all the words but one time I had this really weird ten minutes where I couldn’t believe that “o’clock” was a real word

If you sit and think really hard about any particular word, it always starts feeling that way. :D
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    my mom has been saying "wuder" instead of water lately (or I just started noticing).

Sometimes it takes everything I have to not freak out

Is she from Maryland, Pennsylvania, or Delaware? A lot of infuriating pronunciations coming out of that mid-Atlantic area (I'm allowed to say that... I'm an ex-Balti-moron).

I love love love terrible regional pronunciations.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

If you sit and think really hard about any particular word, it always starts feeling that way. :D

that is so true. i had to write the word 'trash' on each of about 30 boxes and by the end i was convinced i made the word up.
  • seltzermint555
    edited May 2019

Yeah, kiddos sounds patronizing.

It really does. I think there's just this certain way it's spoken too, very harsh on the double "d" sound that almost sounds angry and seems to be the usual way for people to pronounce it when they are trying to sound loving but really sound like condescending jerks.

That 'kiddo' might be chosing your nursing home. Be kind lol.

Right!!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited May 2019
    Ok this may be too much, but I really, really hate it when someone says that someone's "$h*t don't stink". I HATE that! It immediately makes me dislike whoever said it.