Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blood type diet? Yay or nay?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    In a prior one of these threads we discussed an astrological sign diet, with the confusion being whether you should eat what your astrological sign would (IMO, obvious the right choice) or eat your astrological sign (horrors!).

I am Sagittarius, so I should eat, apparently (if the Greeks are to be trusted), bread, meat, and wine, and I'm super omnivore, although with a likely preference for oats.

https://www.tor.com/2017/04/03/so-how-does-a-centaur-eat-anyway/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    edited June 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    In a prior one of these threads we discussed an astrological sign diet, with the confusion being whether you should eat what your astrological sign would (IMO, obvious the right choice) or eat your astrological sign (horrors!).

I am Sagittarius, so I should eat, apparently (if the Greeks are to be trusted), bread, meat, and wine, and I'm super omnivore, although with a likely preference for oats.

So a Gemini would get to heat two helpings of everything?

ETA: Geminis could eat Libras' meals, because scales are inanimate objects and thus don't eat anything.
  • lemurcat2
    edited June 2019
    Maybe Libras can eat only food they weigh.

I think I'm making out good as a Sagittarius, however.
  • lemurcat2

I'm a virgo, so if I talked about my diet the thread would get moved to chitchat

LOL
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So my blood type wants me to skip coffee and alcohol, then my astrological sign wants me to eat scorpions, or what scorpions eat (neither of which sound that great to a vegetarian).

I knew there was a reason I went with moderation, mainstream nutrition, and calorie counting rather than fad diets: Saves me from many horrors. ;)

Don't forget about your somatotype.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,955 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    So my blood type wants me to skip coffee and alcohol, then my astrological sign wants me to eat scorpions, or what scorpions eat (neither of which sound that great to a vegetarian).

I knew there was a reason I went with moderation, mainstream nutrition, and calorie counting rather than fad diets: Saves me from many horrors. ;)

Do I eat for the somatotype I was for 3 decades of my adult life, or the one I am now?!? So confusing . . . .

;););)
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Somatype is really weird because it is a wag the dog kind of thing at best. To the extent there are somatypes, they're a consequence of personality / behavior, rather than a cause of them.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

Do I eat for the somatotype I was for 3 decades of my adult life, or the one I am now?!? So confusing . . . .

;););)

I find it works best for me to eat for the somatotype wish I were :D
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

I am a Scorpio. NONE OF THESE OPTIONS ARE GOOD.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I wonder how our ancestors survived without such "scientific" knowledge!
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    I wonder how our ancestors survived without such "scientific" knowledge!

That's what I think every time I hear/see one of those "eat X miracle food to lose belly fat!" BS claims. What about people who lived elsewhere in the world before we shipped things everywhere?
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member

I'm a virgo, so if I talked about my diet the thread would get moved to chitchat

LOL

I'm a Scorpio, so I suppose I should only eat insects that I've poisoned to death and crushed with my hands.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »

LOL

I'm a Scorpio, so I suppose I should only eat insects that I've poisoned to death and crushed with my hands.

Though if I recall my AEsop correctly we may also be occasionally allowed to eat frogs while drowning.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    It's the definition of woo. Looking at the recommendations, it basically told me that I can't tolerate dairy, but I have zero lactose intolerance and do very well on dairy. It told me grains and beans are bad for me, but I digest them well, and I'm one of the few people who don't need "Beano". Some of the foods it recommended for me were actually foods I can't tolerate well. Most of the foods recommended are foods I don't like, so yeah, I would for sure lose weight on it because I'll have an extremely limited diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I am finding the plight of Scorpios one of the funniest aspects of this thread.

Really? Scorpios have it easy. I'm an Aquarius, I'm allowed nothing but water.