Weight loss plateau

Options
Does anyone have any helpful tips to get passed a weight loss plateau

Replies

• AngelLizbeth
    AngelLizbeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I hit a weightloss plaeau and still have many lbs to go, I recognise that my body has got used to what I was doing. So if I have been very low caloried for a while, I do a refeed day or two to shock my body. I only up my calorie intake by 1000 extra calories over what I was doing (per day). Most time it will continue the plateau even with the extra calorie when I weigh the next day, then I go back to low calories and the weight begins to shift downwards again. I hate plateaus too...
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious for any tips. I'm down 56 pounds but for the last 2-3 months I'm yoyoing between the same 3-4 lbs even with varying my activity level and increasing/decreasing calories. Not sure what else to do at this point.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Patience, mostly.

Usually, it's water weight fluctuation masking fat loss, if eating is on point.

If it's less than 3 weeks with no loss, many of us wouldn't even call it a plateau yet. I know it's frustrating, though!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Patience, mostly.

Usually, it's water weight fluctuation masking fat loss, if eating is on point.

If it's less than 3 weeks with no loss, many of us wouldn't even call it a plateau yet. I know it's frustrating, though!

This.
    at best you may want to reconfirm your logging (using scale correctly, raw VS cooked weights, using correct entry....). but otherwise just patience.

I am on the my second or third round of "last 5lbs" (I keep moving the goal) and I was on a plateau and even INCREASED weight for 6-7 weeks. it was rough. at first i thought nothing of it but as the weeks went by i got more and more frustrated. but the only thing TO do was double down on accuracy of food diary and wait it out. FINALLY week 7-8 looks like we finally have the woosh loss and I am in fact probably on target big picture if not ahead (still waiting to see where things stabilize).

Who knows what happened there. I am thinking lots of stress related water retention as I was ... stressed. some new exercise (cycling) and probably other random things.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    aahmatova wrote: »
    Does anyone have any helpful tips to get passed a weight loss plateau

It is perfectly normal to not lose weight for a couple of weeks here and there, so if it's been three weeks or less there may very well be nothing to fix.

If it has been 4 weeks or more, you are most likely eating a bit too much. This would be the time to recommit to accurate and consistent logging, using a food scale, and perhaps prioritizing eating meals you have some control over until you get this moving in the right direction again.

If you'd like more targeted help, we would need your height, current weight, how much weight you've lost so far and in what time frame, and how long it's been since you stopped losing weight at all.

If you'd rather not, these posts may help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1