Bananas and fruit sugar in general?

Replies

• Clarisse_McClellan
    Clarisse_McClellan Posts: 44 Member
    You only need to worry about the type of sugar if you've got a medical condition that requires you to limit it. For example, I have gout and need to watch my fructose intake. And the sugar in a banana is about half fructose. I still have bananas, just have to make sure I don't have too many. As long as you're not diabetic or gouty, I think you're cool.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    My dad was told many years ago not to eat too many bananas. Something to do with potassium but I cant remember why.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    My dad was told many years ago not to eat too many bananas. Something to do with potassium but I cant remember why.

This is not "science" but probably applies :smile:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34225517
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Another pain in the butt, possibly the biggest pain the butt is sodium. I go over by a little 5 out of 7 days a week. Probably by 100 or 200. Once in a while on the weekend I'll go over by 1,000 but that is not the norm at all. What do you think about going over on sodium by a few hundred? Horrendous or ah no biggie?
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    nooboots wrote: »

This is not "science" but probably applies :smile:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34225517

Well it was a medical professional that told him this, obviously not a very good one if that article is anything to go by. Im wondering if it was something to do with medication he was on.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Another pain in the butt, possibly the biggest pain the butt is sodium. I go over by a little 5 out of 7 days a week. Probably by 100 or 200. Once in a while on the weekend I'll go over by 1,000 but that is not the norm at all. What do you think about going over on sodium by a few hundred? Horrendous or ah no biggie?

Unless you have high blood pressure, it doesn't matter. Sodium helps with electrolyte retention and balance. Between that and the bananas, good electrolytes!

Excellent thanks, no high blood pressure here thank goodness. Good info, thanks.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    I don't worry about fruit sugar at all (and not even really about sugar in things like chocolate bars and alcohol, as long as I can fit them into my calories!).

In fact I have almost 300g of strawberries to snack on this afternoon with me. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks (English strawberry season is the best!) and have lost weight.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    This is crazy I can see now but many times I will just have 1/2 banana because the old Weight Watchers plan used to be to just eat 1/2 because they were to fattening to eat a whole. Sheesh - I will now eat a whole all the time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron, as those are more useful for me to track.

Just did this exact swap myself. Although, now I can see that my iron intake is very low. Guess I'll start working on that!

Make sure you're using good entries. For user-created entries they may not have bothered with iron. I've seen some user-created entries that just had calories and no other values.

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Unless you have medical issues, eat what you want and don’t worry about it but am really surprised anyone would want three bananas a day. I’d like three slices of banana bread 🤣
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Do what makes you feel good and works for YOU!
    I used to eat a lot of bananas, I stopped about a month or two ago. I did change my foods and pay attention to sugar because of several health reasons. Anxiety, fungal infections, digestive and imbalance. I feel like a new person with elimination of sugar- however this is recent. Higher carbs worked for a long time,.not now.
    Listen to your body, do what makes you happy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    merekins wrote: »
    Unless you have medical issues, eat what you want and don’t worry about it but am really surprised anyone would want three bananas a day. I’d like three slices of banana bread 🤣

I probably started off eating three bananas a day when I was in Costa Rico, but I found this a little constipating, so cut back. I definitely ate at least three mangos a day, every day. OMG, the fruit was SO good there!

I also had rice and beans twice a day, so a very high carb diet, but still managed to lose a size without even trying, because my overall calories were less than at home.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I ignore sugar. If I’m good on calories, protein, fiber and fat, I’m set.

Cosign
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Luckily, very few people eat the amount of bananas Freelee recommends.

There's a Canadian dietitian (Abbey Sharp) who has made some videos commenting on Freelee's what I ate today videos. Kind of mean but also very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyE_i0yZbBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2__6XKHHVE

Hysterical! Thanks for sharing!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I had 85 grams of sugar today from fruit. It was wonderful.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I had 85 grams of sugar today from fruit. It was wonderful.

You still need more than 400 gms to catch up to Banana Girl! Yikes her diet makes me want to barf. I like fruit but that is soooo much!