June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @hist_doc - I have an Apple Watch and love it for all the non-workout things it does. I installed Strava on my phone and watch and use it on my watch to record my runs and workouts. Can't really edit distances or workouts in Strava either, at least not that I know of, but I like all the info Strava gives me and being able to share with my friends and the MFP group there. There may be other apps you could use that would allow editing, like Map My Run. I know the new Apple Watch workout app has all kinds of new features and many for running like cadence but the version I have is older and doesn't really provide much.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo and @MegaMooseEsq hope you are feeling better.

@KatieJane83 wow! I will definitely need a week of rest after. I take 2 or 3 days after a half. So I can only imagine.

How do you all hide your images with the spoiler buttom??

Run:
    3.0 miles this morning as recovery. It is so cool that my recovery speed is what my fast pace used to be.

36 miles so far. 89 left to make goal. I don't think itll happen...but that's ok.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I've had to laugh this morning at the irony. I'm entered for a race on Saturday evening (9.30pm, ugh!) that is a charity/protest against traffic accident deaths thing called (tranlating literally) 'Put the brakes on'. So what am I doing? I'm having pre-race jitters and fretting over whether I'll be fast enough to stay within the cut-off time. Fast enough. For a race that says to slow down. LOL.
    Common sense says I'll be fine, I have done the distance a few times recently and one of those times I did it in 71 or 72 minutes (don't remember exactly) and the cut-off is 75. And of course I always go faster in races than in training. Well I used to before I messed my legs up and had to start run-walk-running everything at least. We'll see.
    Also rather worried about the time of day and the fact I have to attend a family event (husband's distant cousin's child's first communion, which in Spain they treat like a wedding...sigh...) all day so will be tired and have been eating God knows what all day. But I'm sure it'll be fine really.
    Went out for a 5km run this morning and like Sunday I was slow and heavy. Not helping make me feel confident for Saturday's 10km race. Oh well. It dawned on me earlier that it isn't actually the end of the world if I don't make the cut-off time, just a bit embarrasing. Nobody will shoot me for it or anything though.

All of this has got me to thinking about trying to start a run-walk-run group in my area. It doesn't seem to be a thing here yet but I would feel far less silly about it in company! Have messaged the scary fast and furious local running group about it, will see.

June goal: 75km. Run so far: 29.74km

I'm confident you'll beat the cut off time. Adrenaline plus determination equals success.
    Plus, it's for charity.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

@KatieJane83 wow! I will definitely need a week of rest after. I take 2 or 3 days after a half. So I can only imagine.

Run:
    3.0 miles this morning as recovery. It is so cool that my recovery speed is what my fast pace used to be.

36 miles so far. 89 left to make goal. I don't think itll happen...but that's ok.

Really, it's an excuse to get one more use out of my Disney World annual pass before it expires (only time I've ever had one & don't know when/if I'll have one again, lol). I figure even if I have to walk a lot of it my pride might be injured but I'll still be at Disney! :D

I have also been meaning to ask about the spoiler button! I can't figure it out!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I did not get to run this morning, and, per my physical therapist, will be on the (running) bench for the rest of the week. She actually popped into the gym yesterday when class was about to start and spent about 20 minutes talking about it and giving me some calf stretches she thinks might help. We’ll see how the week goes then reassess.

For now I’m planning to continue with strength class, taking it easy on the legs and avoiding any high impact exercises. I genuinely haven’t decided what I want to do with the trail race tomorrow. 5K is a perfectly reasonable distance to speed-walk, but I don’t want to push it. I think that will be a game-day decision. I’m pretty sure I won’t be comfortable running the 10 Miler at the end of June even if my leg is 100% better next week, but I’m hoping to be up for the 10K. Once again, we will see.

I’m a little surprised how well I’m taking this, but I think that I knew what the likely outcome was when my leg was still hurting Sunday afternoon. Monday I was pretty upset, Monday I made a plan, and today I started to execute the plan. I told myself that I was going down to the lake this morning whether I could run or not, and since I couldn’t run I took the dog for a nice long walk and enjoyed being outside.

@hist_doc: I have had an Apple Watch 3 since October 2017 and I love it BUT it’s also the only tracker I’ve used other than a Fitbit HR, so I don’t have much to compare it too. If there is a way to edit workouts I certainly have never heard of it, but I’m not used to being able to do so so it doesn’t bug me. I’ve looked at getting a Garmin for running since I know it’s much better for that specific thing, but I’d have to spend a ton of money to also get the GPS and music functions I love with the Watch. Personally I find the trade-off worth it, but YMMV.

@RunnerGirl238: Thanks for the good wishes. My leg doesn’t hurt at the immediate moment, so that’s good!

June Total: 17.32 miles

Revised June Goals: Lift 3x/week, 30 minutes/day of moderate cardio, 30 minutes/day of mobility. Run when I can.

2019 Races! (bold registered)

January 26: Securian 10K, St. Paul, MN Chip time: 1:05:07
    February 16: Half Fast 10K DNS
    March 23: Hot Dash 5K, Mpls, MN Chip time: 0:28:39 (*PR!)
    May 19: Women Run the Cities 5K, Mpls, MN Chip time: 0:33:02
    June 8: PHRC Pensieve 10K (virtual)
    June 12: ESTRS French 5K, Plymouth, MN
    June 29 Lift Bridge 10K, Bayport MN
    August 3: Beat the Blerch 10K or Half Marathon, Carnation, WA

September 2: MDRA Victory Labor Day 5K, Mpls, MN
    September 8: Sioux Falls Half Marathon, Sioux Falls, SD
    October 5: TCM 10K, St. Paul, MN
    October 6: TCM 10Mi, Minneapolis to St. Paul, MN

October 12: Bemidji Blue Ox 26K, Bemidji, MN
    November 28: Turkey Trot St. Paul 10K, St. Paul, MN
    December 14: Reindeer Run 10K, Mpls, MN
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »

Run:

Really, it's an excuse to get one more use out of my Disney World annual pass before it expires (only time I've ever had one & don't know when/if I'll have one again, lol). I figure even if I have to walk a lot of it my pride might be injured but I'll still be at Disney! :D

I have also been meaning to ask about the spoiler button! I can't figure it out!

Spoiler button:
    511rcdzv75eb.png

Click the format dropdown and choose spoiler and it will add the code.

@KatieJane83 and @RunnerGirl238 - I would add to what @zeesparrow has shown here that you click spoiler first and it inserts the code and the mouse should be in the middle of the code, then click to add your pictures. Alternatively you can add your pictures, select (highlight) the picture code and then click on spoiler.
    so the result should look like this:

mjib4ocmi2ln.png

ETF - apparently you can have spaces, misspell 'spoiler' etc and it still works! Finally able to make it work by snapping the code to a picture!
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Thank you @zeesparrow and @shanaber that is very helpful! I always hate clogging up a thread w/massive pics!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - what beautiful scenery in your pictures! Those are some big backpacks to be carry up the mountains though. I'm assuming you spent the night camping?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Hi y'all! I haven't been in a monthly challenge / thread for sooo long! Not sure I should jump back in as I tend to spend too much time reading up on everyone's awesomeness. In for 110 this month. Currently at 28.9.

Contemplating trying for my first full in October, but not sure about the time commitment for training.

Welcome back!
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    Don't think I ever posted my miles from the weekend. Eek!

Just donated blood on my lunch break today, have a feeling tonight's run is gonna be extra slow, lol.

Date Miles Notes
    6/1/2019-- 3.1 -- Dennis P. McCugh 5k
    6/2/2019-- 7 -- tired, warm long run
    6/3/2019-- 0 -- rest day
    6/4/2019-- 3 -- OMG such a beautiful day out!
    6/5/2019-- 3.5 -- Happy Global Running Day! extra 0.5 for MFP pledge
    6/6/2019-- 0 -- rest day
    6/7/2019-- 3 -- easy pace run
    6/8/2019-- 2.5 -- test run of the new shoes
    6/9/2019-- 6 -- long run
    6/10/2019-- 0 -- rest day

28.1/60 mi
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Hi y'all! I haven't been in a monthly challenge / thread for sooo long! Not sure I should jump back in as I tend to spend too much time reading up on everyone's awesomeness. In for 110 this month. Currently at 28.9.

Contemplating trying for my first full in October, but not sure about the time commitment for training.

Doing my first full this fall-October. The commitment is...a lot
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @girlinahat - what beautiful scenery in your pictures! Those are some big backpacks to be carry up the mountains though. I'm assuming you spent the night camping?

No camping this time. My backpack was a 33litre and I had plenty of spare room in it (my pack for a week camping with food and stove recently was 55l, although the tent was on the outside). I carried hat, gloves and warm jacket, plus full waterproofs and lunch.

The woman with the red pack in the photo was one of our guides - she probably had ropes and emergency kit in there as well, in case we got into mischief.