Three weeks in and losing heart

I’m 52, 5’6 tall and three weeks ago when I started MFP weighed 144lb. Three weeks in and I’ve only lost 2lb. Two days ago I got to 140 then the next day had put on 2lb again 🤯 Then this morning went back up to 143 meaning I lost 1lb in three weeks!!! I’m pretty much sedentary working life but walk my dog twice a day 50 mins and 25mins respectively. I have 1200 calories a day and eat back 30mins worth of walking so I save the rest for when I want a glass of wine (drink wine twice a week two glasses of red each time). I weigh everything religiously and scan stuff etc. I only want to lose maybe 10lb or do. Feeling like I should be getting better results and don’t understand?!
Is there anyone out there whose weight loss started slow but got there in the end? Need some advice/encouragement thanks

Replies

• meeharriet
    meeharriet Posts: 6 Member
    Panini911 thanks for the encouragement I weigh most things but not things like broccoli or blueberries for example. I include all spreads as well and almond milk milk etc.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Don't give up! Those last 10 lb. are the toughest, and that's where you've started, so it's a challenge. I suggest adding strength training, even if it's just push-ups and crunches every other day. A low carbohydrate regimen (keto) got my weight down quickly, and, by mostly sticking with low carbs, I've maintained for the last few months. Most nights, I drink a glass of red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon, which has 4 carbs per serving. Best wishes for your continued loss!
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Plus don't forget how many calories can be in alcoholic beverages. And your glass maybe larger than what they calculated a glass to be. I think 4oz is typical, but when I pour a glass I pour a GLASS! Which would potentially putting you over for the day.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    a_candler wrote: »
    Plus don't forget how many calories can be in alcoholic beverages. And your glass maybe larger than what they calculated a glass to be. I think 4oz is typical, but when I pour a glass I pour a GLASS! Which would potentially putting you over for the day.

That's very true - the first time I actually measured my "glass" of wine, it only filled about 2/3 of the glass I was using. And it wasn't a big glass either!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Be in it for the long game or you'll make yourself crazy :) Weight fluctuations daily are perfectly normal and you can't let it rattle you. Weigh Everything and be patient. All the best to you.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I will tell you, I am in week 16, and this has been my best week yet. Keep going <3
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    meeharriet wrote: »
    Panini911 thanks for the encouragement I weigh most things but not things like broccoli or blueberries for example. I include all spreads as well and almond milk milk etc.

it can be a pain but I strongly suggest weighing everything you consume. As you're already quite low, it could be a very slow process but if you keep yourself in a caloric deficit, you WILL lose the weight.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    As well as most of the other advice, I'd consider only weighing yourself weekly I.e Monday morning, after waking up, going to the toilet, before you eat or drink anything, and either wearing only your underwear or completely naked. It takes a little more self control but I think it gives you an accurate idea of if your weight is going up or down.

If you decide to do the above, it is even more important to measure everything you consume.

Also remember one week or indeed 3 weeks is very inconsequential compared to all the years you have ahead of you, so don't lose heart and enjoy the journey.
  • meganmoschops
    meganmoschops Posts: 39 Member
    Measure yourself - if you’re not losing lbs you might be losing inches. You should only weigh yourself once a week - I got rid of my scales because I started to weigh myself every day and on occasions more than once a day which is most definitely not right!! I have no idea how much I weigh but I have dropped nearly 2 dress sizes and feel a million times fitter.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Measure yourself - if you’re not losing lbs you might be losing inches. You should only weigh yourself once a week - I got rid of my scales because I started to weigh myself every day and on occasions more than once a day which is most definitely not right!! I have no idea how much I weigh but I have dropped nearly 2 dress sizes and feel a million times fitter.

It is hard to argue with a talking cat ;)
  • Davo312
    Davo312 Posts: 26 Member
    Yeah photos please.And well done.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    OP, since you’re already at a healthy weight, expect the loss to be slow. I’m 41F, starting weight 145. Since February I’ve lost only 12 pounds, for an overall rate of loss of 0.6 pounds per week. It has definitely felt slow! But maintaining as much muscle mass as possible is important, and losing slowly helps with that (along with adequate protein and strength training). Plus, even a small loss shows when you’re already normal weight. Unlike some of the above posters, I prefer to weigh daily and record on the Happy Scale app. Fluctuations definitely happen but the trend this app shows me helps to put it all in perspective so I’m not bothered. Good luck!