It’s lose weight not loose weight.

Options
I see this word misspelled a lot.

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I did not criticize

I know, but I've seen these threads get moderated in the past.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    One of my pet hates? When I personally start sentences with “but” or “and”...

I do that, but I get over it pretty quickly.

I make so many grammar errors on forums. Dun curr.*

I am not the best or fastest typist either, so I make a lot of technical errors. I'm really glad people don't point them out to me, I'd be forced to defend myself and my general forum style is to post on the first page of a thread and then not go back to defend myself. :lol:

*that's "Don't care" for you smarter peeps.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Quite a few common errors hit a minor raw nerve for me. ("Per say", a new exercise "regiment", "Wallah"/voila, phased/fazed, flare/flair, . . . . I could go on a long time, but won't.)

But I'm mostly a retired language peever: I don't really see the point of bringing it up, outside of forums (or threads ;) ) focused on writing, editing, or grammar, except as necessary to clarify meaning (which is rarely - almost never - necessary). In my semi-dotage, I've come to think of language peevery as largely a class marker . . . not "upper" class so much as aspirational. Certainly, that's where the impulse comes from in me, as a first-gen college graduate from a book-smart but under-credentialed blue collar family.

I loved the Marcus Aurelius quote in the comments to the linked blog article:
    “From Alexander the Grammarian, [I learned] not to be captious; nor in a carping spirit find fault with those who import into their conversation any expression which is barbarous or ungrammatical or mispronounced, but tactfully to bring in the very expression, that ought to have been used, by way of answer, or as it were in joint support of the assertion, or as a joint consideration of the thing itself and not of the language, or by some such graceful reminder.” – Meditations I. 10, trans. C. R. Haines

I can see ole' Alexander saying, "Why yes, I have often been nervous around Canada geese, as they are quite large birds."

...or is that just me? :lol:
This discussion has been closed.