Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    What about...

pepperoni-pineapple-jalapeno-pizza.jpg

Man, you're asking for trouble on this one
    hkl356pdi5na.png

I never claimed to be normal :yum:

Is this open for comment @ladyreva78 ?

B)

We're having pizza tonight and Jalapenos sound like the perfect topping...no pineapple tonight though...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    What about...

hkl356pdi5na.png

B)

We're having pizza tonight and Jalapenos sound like the perfect topping...no pineapple tonight though...

:laugh:
    Open to comment? Definitely.

I just doubt its debatable :tongue:
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    What about...

hkl356pdi5na.png

B)

No debate forthcoming :D
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    What about...

hkl356pdi5na.png

B)

No debate forthcoming :D

Smart man :tongue:
  • neon_anemone
    neon_anemone Posts: 4 Member
    I used to enjoy these, but since my wife and I have reduced our sugar and started trying to be healthier, these just aren't worth it to me... I'll leave those to kids or people with a high metabolism.

A side note though - what's this nonsense about ketchup on hotdogs being a travesty? Cole slaw or sauerkraut is worse imo.
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    I HATE those Lofthouse sugar cookies. They look like they might be good, guilty pleasure type of sugary sweets...but they are VILE! :#

Why do I feel like people aren't responding here because they have not tried this horrible trick of a cookie?

I don't think I've ever seen that particular brand. But I'm suspicious of any product that thinks "soft" is a plus for a cookie. I imagine they're all cake-y and bend-y. No snap. No crunch. Blech.

That would actually be an improvement for these cookies. Imagine a compressed puck of flour and fat that hasn't been baked before putting a layer of emulsified fat and sugar on top.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I'm not the least bit ashamed to say that I love a lofthouse sugar cookie. But I hate crunchy cookies and would much rather has a soft one any day. I'll purposely bake mine at home to stay soft for as long as possible! However, the lofthouse cookies aren't worth the extra calories these days, especially when I can make a reasonably similar product at home that has way fewer calories.

pineapple on pizza? meh - I can take it or leave it. I don't prefer it, but if someone orders pizza with it, I won't snub it, either. Not a huge fan of banana peppers or jalapenos, though.

In WV where I'm from, a hotdog is chili sauce, mustard, cole slaw, ketchup, and sometimes diced onions or relish.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    It's funny, I was browsing Serious Eats yesterday and what did I find? Lofthouse-Style Frosted Sugar Cookies Recipe

I should note, I've never actually seen Lofthouse cookies though I can't imagine I'd ever buy them. While I do buy cookies, I typically don't buy them from the grocery store. I also just don't go down the cookie section at the store I go to that might stock these.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    They’re not on the cookie aisle, they’re in the bakery area (at the store where I see them)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    They’re not on the cookie aisle, they’re in the bakery area (at the store where I see them)
    Interesting. That's actually an aisle/area I would be even less likely to make my way to. That said, like someone upthread mentioned, if I'm going to buy something that would typically be in a baked goods section, it's going to have to be something I can't easily make at home. Even then, it'll typically be from a local bakery (macarons are a very good example of something I can't make very well - or at least that I can't make consistently well).
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    I am not sure if I have ever tried Lofthouse brand cookies...but I have had similar cookies and found them pretty revolting. But I am generally not a big frosting person anyway. The only mass produced cookies I ever eat are the occasional Oreo (the original...not the funky limited edition flavors or double stuff) and Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps. I do love homemade cookies...and bake a batch every few weeks. I confess the best part is eating the raw cookie dough. Once the cookies ae baked, they are actually less of a temptation to me.

I think ketchup and mayo are disgusting as condiments on their own...but they can be mixed with other things to make them more palatable. I don't hate ketchup mixed with horseradish to make cocktail sauce, or mayonnaise blended with relish for tartar sauce. Even a combination of ketchup and mayo to make Russian dressing is preferable to either ingredient on their own.

I don't eat hot dogs, but when I did, it was always with mustard. I will judge anyone over the age of ten who tops their dog with ketchup.

Pineapple does not belong on pizza. Marshmallows are nasty, although slightly improved by roasting over a campfire...to a golden tan...charring them is a good way to destroy them...which is never a bad idea. Cilantro is wonderful, imparting a nice fresh taste to food when added.

What devisive foods have I left out? I love black licorice. Dislike olives, except in tapenade...and mushrooms, except in chicken marsala. And have no strong opinion about kale.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited June 2019
    Cilantro
    Black salted licorice
    Mayo
    Vegemite
    Okra
    Blue cheese
    Anchovies
    Oysters
    bread/butter pickles
    Curries
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza...no just no

oh and white chocolate too...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Re last 2 posts - ketchup (what we call tomato sauce) is the default standard on hotdogs here in Australia for people of all ages.
    When I sell hot dogs at our club. almost every one is with sauce.

and pineapple on pizzas is very standard too - either in a ham and pineapple pizza, one of the best sellers, or with other things on a supreme type.

I dont know what cilantro is - but not a fan of oysters, salted licorice, okra, blue cheese, pickles, anchovies either.

But mayo, white chocolate, curries,mushrooms - yes!!

and vegemite occasionally.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    edited June 2019
    Re last 2 posts - ketchup (what we call tomato sauce) is the default standard on hotdogs here in Australia for people of all ages.

and pineapple on pizzas is very standard too - either in a ham and pineapple pizza, one of the best sellers, or with other things on a supreme type.

I dont know what cilantro is - but not a fan of oysters, salted licorice, okra, blue cheese, pickles, anchovies either.

@paperpudding : Cilantro is an herb used heavily in Mexican dishes (that's where I get my familiarity with it, anyway - it's probably used elsewhere as well). Its the plant that produces corinander seeds. People either love it or hate it, but I read somewhere that there's actually a genetic link to this like or dislike; for some people, cilanatro tastes very different than it does for others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/09/14/161057954/love-to-hate-cilantro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head

note this isn't a peer reviewed study, so take it for what it's worth lol

I'm in the boat with the folks who think Cilantro tastes like dish soap, so I hate it when it's by itself or heavily represented in a dish like salsa. If its in something else, like guacamole where there are a lot of others things to balance it out, I can take it, but by itself? Nope!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

In the UK it's coriander. Is it called that in Australia as well?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I couldn't remember the UK name, but that was my guess as well, that it was the same in Australia.

For fun:

Cilantro -- good
    Black salted licorice -- bad
    Mayo -- mostly bad but acceptable (ideally homemade and definitely never Miracle Whip) as part of a deviled egg, chicken salad, or something similar
    Vegemite -- never had
    Okra -- depends on preparation, excellent in gumbo
    Blue cheese -- good
    Anchovies -- good
    Oysters -- good
    bread/butter pickles -- are these the sweet ones?, I love most pickles but hate sweet pickles
    Curries -- depends on the curry, but good ones are very good
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza...no just no -- this is a perfectly acceptable pizza option

oh and white chocolate too...--don't see the point

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    oh, coriander.

Here's me thinking cilantro is some exotic thing I havent come across yet.

But is just coriander. :*:o

I dont mind that.
    Is heavily used in many Vietnamese dishes and time to time in other things I eat.
  • PAPYRUS3
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I couldn't remember the UK name, but that was my guess as well, that it was the same in Australia.

For fun:

Cilantro -- good
    Black salted licorice -- bad
    Mayo -- mostly bad but acceptable (ideally homemade and definitely never Miracle Whip) as part of a deviled egg, chicken salad, or something similar
    Vegemite -- never had
    Okra -- depends on preparation, excellent in gumbo
    Blue cheese -- good
    Anchovies -- good
    Oysters -- good
    bread/butter pickles -- are these the sweet ones?, I love most pickles but hate sweet pickles
    Curries -- depends on the curry, but good ones are very good
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza...no just no -- this is a perfectly acceptable pizza option

oh and white chocolate too...--don't see the point

for my 'two cents' regarding my list:

Cilantro -- good - a little is ok - rather have flat leaf parsley
    Black salted licorice -- bad - YUMMY
    Mayo -- mostly bad but acceptable (ideally homemade and definitely never Miracle Whip) as part of a deviled egg, chicken salad, or something similar YUCKO
    Vegemite -- never had - not something I crave...it's ok though
    Okra -- depends on preparation, excellent in gumbo - YUCKY
    Blue cheese -- good - YUMMY
    Anchovies -- good -YUMMY
    Oysters -- good YUM if freshly caught
    bread/butter pickles -- are these the sweet ones?, I love most pickles but hate sweet pickles HATE THEM TOO!
    Curries -- depends on the curry, but good ones are very good - LOVE, LOVE CURRIES
    and yes...'that' pineapple on pizza...no just no -- this is a perfectly acceptable pizza option - SO YUCK

oh and white chocolate too...--don't see the point- Really do like in baked items...although it's a yummy thing by itself too...(I've got a super sweet tooth!)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2019
    why do people hate white chocolate :( It's good.
    dark chocolate > white chocolate > milk chocolate
  • PAPYRUS3
    hesn92 wrote: »
    why do people hate white chocolate :( It's good.
    dark chocolate > white chocolate > milk chocolate

I guess that's why it's on the list...I quite like it too...I actually would eat a bag full of white chocolate covered raisins when writing those 'all nighters' essays in university!