FASTING, love it or hate it?

Options

Replies

• BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What is hunger? I'm not sure if I've answered this question yet. Sure it's a physical response of my body, but on a spiritual level it's deeper. It could be an opinion or a construct of my mind. Either way, I think it's an important journey for anyone to take.
  • mltobia316
    mltobia316 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on fasting? It's something I've never tried before, do y'all love it or hate it? Why or why not??

I do the 5:2 intermittent fasting. I find this works for me. I always been the kind of person who could go without eating until mid afternoon. The hardest part is limiting your calorie intake on the 2 fast days. Women are allowed around 500 calories. I usually end up eating 700. But, i've been losing 1-2 lbs each week. I also exercise 5-6 days/week.
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not really though I've seen people with amazing results. I personally cannot do the whole grazing thing every few hours or a hardcore fast. I just have either 2 big meals or 3 medium meals in a day with a hot drink here and there. I die without breakfast 100%. But I often skip lunch or dinner if I feel pretty sated that day. I will say I cannot recommend proper hydration enough. I stand at the sink chugging water and it's a bloody chore but oh boy my appetite and weight went down RAPIDLY within the first week.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    I dont know why it has to be called fasting... it's more like just starting to eat a bit later
    Bingo.

I guess it was given a name so that people could more clearly identify it, and it was given a whole bunch of different time frames and a twack of unproven benefits, too. I've been doing IF for decades. I used to call it just skipping breakfast. <shrugs> But in order to get on a bandwagon, it needed a trendy handle, lots of arbitrary rules and levels of 'commitment' to distinguish the hardcore zealots from the merely mortal. ;)

It’s popularly called intermittent fasting to distinguish it from the other intermittent eating method many people practice called intermittent overeating or IO.

I practiced IO for a couple years and gained weight. Since mid-September 2018 I resumed IF and lost the gained weight plus more. I’ve never gained weight practicing IF but I’ve learned here at MFP that some have.
    Caralarma wrote: »
    There is such this as intermittent overeating?? Lol now my mind is blown. I totally agree with IF.. I've done it for 2 years. But I think giving it a name makes it seem complicated. All it means is that you dont eat in the morning (depending on what timing method you use). It's not some new genius weigt loss technique. It simply helps you save your calories and stay in a deficit

Bingo, again. And yes, the term IO is completely made up. That poster has a proclivity of insisting that people who gain weight using IF are card-carrying, strap-on-the-ol'-feedbag undisciplined gluttons. :D

Truth is, for anyone doing IF - especially with a longer non-fasting period of 8 hours - that is plenty of time to inadvertently consume a bit more than your maintenance calories for the day and, over time, gain weight. This is especially true for women who have a lot less calories to work with in a day to begin with. Combine this with not tracking caloric intake and it is actually pretty easy to slowly gain weight while technically following IF. No gorging involved. ;)

The ability to gain weight while doing IF is also indicative that the many magical properties commonly associated with this way of eating are entirely bogus.

Bottom line?

Intermittent Fasting is a method that can be used to help some people limit the amount of time they consume food during the day and, as a result, lose weight. However, limiting that time period is not beneficial, in and of itself, unless that also puts the person in the required caloric deficit needed to actually lose weight. That - like with every other diet strategy on the planet - is strictly a function of CICO. Consume less calories in a day than your body burns and you will, over time, lose weight. And the best way to make sure that you're actually in a deficit is to use a food scale and log your entries here on MFP. :)

Regarding the bold - I posted a NYT link elsewhere that had a huge list of meals that looked fine by anyone's standards, but were actually close to 2k calories per meal. 8 hours > one 2k meal for lunch and one for dinner and, unless your caloric needs are higher than average, that 4k calories just wrecked hopes of weight loss.

And as mentioned elsewhere as well as here, the idea of conflating overeating with gluttony is just ridiculous. Maintain at 2500k and eat 2550K every single day = over eating which will result in weight gain. No gluttony required.

IF has a higher moral value if it requires special effort, gluttony, or an eating disorder to defeat it. It can't be a simple tool to be used to assist in calorie control. It has to be something glorious because now it has a name like IF instead of being the crude notion of skipping a meal.

This makes me nervous as it possibly follows that actually enjoying a meal (as opposed to simply fueling up) may actually increase my caloric intake?

I need to re-assess my entire WoE now. :(

Oh yeah. You need you some "feeding windows" (not just eating times or it doesn't count) and some "discipline" and some "dedication" or you calories will count 20% higher. Because calories know the darkest intentions of your heart and what a glutton you really are deep down inside and how much you love to "IO"!! :D
    Sitting in my work truck and people just looked because of the loud laugh I let out! Thanks @mmapags :D

Glad I could provide a little levity to your day!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the same thing every single day it is not intermittent. It is simply time restricted eating with defined periods of fasting and non-fasting. It used to be called daylight and dark. Day and night. Three hots and a cot. Or not.

Then we had to start overthinking everything related to food. Remember when you ate your mother's homecooked meals without giving the timing a single thought. Those were the days of true simplicity.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    If you're doing the same thing every single day it is not intermittent. It is simply time restricted eating with defined periods of fasting and non-fasting. It used to be called daylight and dark. Day and night. Three hots and a cot. Or not.

Then we had to start overthinking everything related to food. Remember when you ate your mother's homecooked meals without giving the timing a single thought. Those were the days of true simplicity.

I'm glad that's over. My poor mother couldn't cook, lol. At least I don't mind burnt stuff.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And now we seem to have a woo stalker. Lol. I guess for some this fasting stuff is serious bizness!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

I'm glad that's over. My poor mother couldn't cook, lol. At least I don't mind burnt stuff.

My mom was from the generation of europeans who thought meat wasn't cooked until it was shoe leather, and veggies were only done when they were rendered into mushy anonymity. :D
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    And now we seem to have a woo stalker. Lol. I guess for some this fasting stuff is serious bizness!

Only from 2200 > 1200 :p
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

Oddly enough, that's pretty much what I do now -- eat the three homemade meals I make at the times that are convenient to me.

Like my mom, those times relate to when I leave the house in the morning and when I get home and can start cooking. For me, that's not the kind of schedule that would normally be called IF (wasn't when I was a kid either), but it's fine.

If others prefer to skip breakfast or eat dinner way early (like when many are still at work) or skip dinner, that's cool too, but I don't think it is somehow a better way to live one's life. People get so invested in how their way of eating is better than other ways sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.