What things do you eat/drink that you dislike in the name of good health?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'd distinguish this from rigidly refusing to eat things out of prejudice, which can be a thing. I do think it's good to experiment with new foods, and to give them a fair try . . . which can include trying them several times, prepared in different ways.

This and I will retry foods that I previously did not like on occasion to see if I like them now. I have liked, disliked, and then liked a few foods. Broccoli is one. I liked it okay in my 20's. I hated it for about 10 years to the point I didn't even like to smell it. Now some weeks I eat 2+ pounds of it.

I will also re-try foods every couple or few years. There are a few foods I have solidly established that I just do not like, never have and never will. People will harass me that I just need to try it again because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Yes, I do know. I have tried whatever the food in question in many times throughout my life, intentionally and unintentionally, prepared a number of ways and it is always disgusting. So stop trying to feed me lettuce! On the other hand there are lots of foods that I will now happily eat which I used to not like and a few foods that I go through phases with as you described.

I've developed tastes for a very few things, but most of my deep seated aversions haven't changed. I can choke down mushrooms if I have to, but it doesn't mean I'll seek them out. (Yes, I am vegetarian; no, I don't like mushrooms; please stop calling a hunk of portobello the "vegetarian option"; they really don't substitute for a nice meatless protein.)

Fine. You don't have to eat a bowl of my vegetarian chili that I lovingly prepared with my own 2 hands. The batch has 18 ounces of diced mushrooms in it. I have always had it as a side dish so the only protein in it is the beans which is why I use the mushrooms which keeps it pretty low cal.

After a lifetime of hate and yet wanting to like I have figured out brussel sprouts for myself. I like them raw and sliced super thin and mixed in a salad. I have tried 100 configurations and that is the only thing that works for me.

I can't guarantee anything, but send a bowl over and I'll give your chili a try if you give mine a try. Three types of beans, soy crumbles instead of the mushrooms, tomatoes, chipotles, simmered all day in the crock pot until the house smells delicious. You can have it as is, or over rice or a baked sweet potato.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I don’t eat anything I don’t like, why would I do that?

Admittedly, it helps that I like most things :)

You never ever tried a food that you didn't like? That's remarkable. 😨

The question was "eat" not "ever tried" and most things isn't all.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member

I'd distinguish this from rigidly refusing to eat things out of prejudice, which can be a thing. I do think it's good to experiment with new foods, and to give them a fair try . . . which can include trying them several times, prepared in different ways.

This and I will retry foods that I previously did not like on occasion to see if I like them now. I have liked, disliked, and then liked a few foods. Broccoli is one. I liked it okay in my 20's. I hated it for about 10 years to the point I didn't even like to smell it. Now some weeks I eat 2+ pounds of it.

Still waiting to like olives. I think it'll happen eventually. I used to hate hummus, pesto and tomatos, now I like them.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member

I will also re-try foods every couple or few years. There are a few foods I have solidly established that I just do not like, never have and never will. People will harass me that I just need to try it again because I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Yes, I do know. I have tried whatever the food in question in many times throughout my life, intentionally and unintentionally, prepared a number of ways and it is always disgusting. So stop trying to feed me lettuce! On the other hand there are lots of foods that I will now happily eat which I used to not like and a few foods that I go through phases with as you described.

I've developed tastes for a very few things, but most of my deep seated aversions haven't changed. I can choke down mushrooms if I have to, but it doesn't mean I'll seek them out. (Yes, I am vegetarian; no, I don't like mushrooms; please stop calling a hunk of portobello the "vegetarian option"; they really don't substitute for a nice meatless protein.)

Fine. You don't have to eat a bowl of my vegetarian chili that I lovingly prepared with my own 2 hands. The batch has 18 ounces of diced mushrooms in it. I have always had it as a side dish so the only protein in it is the beans which is why I use the mushrooms which keeps it pretty low cal.

After a lifetime of hate and yet wanting to like I have figured out brussel sprouts for myself. I like them raw and sliced super thin and mixed in a salad. I have tried 100 configurations and that is the only thing that works for me.

So a couple of months ago I had a brussell sprout salad with apple and honey dressing (I think) oh my gosh it was like I'd died and gone to heaven.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I don’t eat anything I don’t like, why would I do that?

Admittedly, it helps that I like most things :)

You never ever tried a food that you didn't like? That's remarkable. 😨

Don't be ridiculous, that's not what I said.

I don't like brussels sprouts, and I'm not particularly fond of shellfish.

So I don't eat them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Does it count if you rinse and spit? The mouthwash I need to (hopefully!) keep my dental implant in good shape.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I don't typically seek out foods I dislike strictly because they are "healthy." Except for lima beans and oysters, I can eat most foods. I recently made a pan roasted turnips au gratin. It looked delicious, it smelled delicious, but it tasted awful to my palette.I tried to eat it two days in a row and finally scrapped it. Expensive mistake that was. So now I add turnips to the list of two things I hate.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I can't guarantee anything, but send a bowl over and I'll give your chili a try if you give mine a try. Three types of beans, soy crumbles instead of the mushrooms, tomatoes, chipotles, simmered all day in the crock pot until the house smells delicious. You can have it as is, or over rice or a baked sweet potato.

Mine has 3 beans too.

Your chili would present no challenge for me to eat. I regularly use soy products in my cooking. I have considered making a main dish veg chili with some crumbles but I haven't done it yet. I have never believed that vegetarian food was only for vegetarians.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I don't typically seek out foods I dislike strictly because they are "healthy." Except for lima beans and oysters, I can eat most foods. I recently made a pan roasted turnips au gratin. It looked delicious, it smelled delicious, but it tasted awful to my palette.I tried to eat it two days in a row and finally scrapped it. Expensive mistake that was. So now I add turnips to the list of two things I hate.

Turnips are not meant to be eaten alone. Even in a casserole. I treat them like caviar. Buy one small one once a year. Spread it out over 3-4 meals.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

Mine has 3 beans too.

Your chili would present no challenge for me to eat. I regularly use soy products in my cooking. I have considered making a main dish veg chili with some crumbles but I haven't done it yet. I have never believed that vegetarian food was only for vegetarians.

I will be watching the mail for my bowl of chili :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member

Turnips are not meant to be eaten alone. Even in a casserole. I treat them like caviar. Buy one small one once a year. Spread it out over 3-4 meals.

Ditto ☺
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,975 Member

Hakurei turnips (completely white ones, usually small-ish) are very mild and tender, and are tasty raw.

Regular turnips, IMO, are quite delicious with a mushroom stuffing (layer sliced turnips with whole-grain croutons or crumb, sliced mushrooms, stuffing-type savory seasoning (sage, thyme, garlic, that sort of thing), and maybe some nice grated parmesan on top. YMMV.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Interesting. I don't really find that turnips need much help. I had them just 2 weeks ago and only mixed them with carrots and onions with a little oil and seasoning. I have a rotation of vegetables that I like to "feature" for a week or two and turnips are on the list.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    If I don't like it, I don't eat it. If I do like it, I make it fit within my allotted calories.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Nothing anymore.
    I tried kale once because it’s supposed to be good for you. Hated it. Decided why eat ANYTHING that I don’t like, and that there’s no good reason to waste any calories, so I don’t.