The Perfect Human Diet

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    When humans figured out agriculture is also when they started make great strides in civilization.

And if it were not for agriculture, our species would have probably died off...

And for the good of other species I expect they would claim. :)

Actually it has only been about 50 years since the event of modern farming using GMO's and chemicals vs tilling.. Tractors initially just displaced draft animals. Our human diseases just ramped up there after but surely there is no cause and effect going on.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

https://youtu.be/X0C3DHp36zc
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    liz0269 wrote: »
    The prevailing consensus today is that we have eaten grains all along. I don't remember the exact number but archaeologists just recently found the oldest evidence of bread baking and it's well over 40,000 years old. There's a reason we have multiple genes for digesting starch and that our saliva actually starts breaking it down in our mouths. Starch and grains have been a large part of our diet throughout our history.

OK, but the timeline you're talking about is roughly one one-hundredth of that mentioned in the OP. I don't agree with the arguments cited from the documentary, but that's no reason to make irrelevant arguments.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    QoLmatters wrote: »
    In my opinion only added sugar and added salt should be listed as bad. For some people (with celiac disease) wheat is bad but for the rest of us it is fine. Different people will have good reasons for not consuming certain foods so you can't generalise and say this lot is good or bad.

This is an oversimplification as well. While certain foods with these things may overall not be beneficial for most people, that's not always the case. The protein bars I eat at breakfast have a good amount of added sugar. It's what makes them taste editable. But they also have a good macro mix, vitamins and minerals, and fiber. They help keep me filled in the morning with bit many calories. They are positive for me, even with added sugar. Another example is sports drinks. I don't normally drink sports drinks as part of my daily routine, but during a hike or other long exercise, the added sugar (as well as added salt) in sports drinks are very beneficial to me.
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    QoLmatters wrote: »
    In my opinion only added sugar and added salt should be listed as bad. For some people (with celiac disease) wheat is bad but for the rest of us it is fine. Different people will have good reasons for not consuming certain foods so you can't generalise and say this lot is good or bad.

I just went out and bought some salt tabs to put in my water. They're called Nuun. It's summer time, and riding a bike is sweaty work. You should see how much salt I add to my food! BP is 115/70, I'm 41 years old.

I have high blood pressure and aim to eat less than 2000mg a day of sodium which is higher than the Australian Heart Foundation recommends. https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/salt/sodium-and-salt-converter

I admit I add 1/2 tsp of sugar to my tea which makes my doctor upset because she worries about diabetes which I'm glad to say I don't have.