Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Options

Replies

• MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I do love a good pizza
    t1971.gif

Ever had Detroit-style pizza?

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Jelaan wrote: »
    There would probably be a riot in my house if I didn't use garlic butter on the outside of our grilled cheese sandwiches. However, we also put smoked chicken, salsa, bbq sauce, pesto, caramelized onions (not all together I might add) on the inside with our cheese too. We are currently in hiding from the grilled cheese sandwich police.

That sounds good, but as soon as the inside is more than mainly cheese and seasoning, I don't consider that a grilled cheese sandwich anymore.

yeah, I think at that point it becomes a grilled sandwich to me. Though it still sounds good! I like the idea of garlic butter on the outside, with cheese, chicken, and pesto on the inside, with perhaps the onions.

• MichelleMinn
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Following that logic, anything I can put into my body that passes out the other end without killing me or sickening me can be classified as food.

Hey, that definition worked for the cave people. I mean, trial and error. ;)
  • MichelleMinn
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm in the "pro bleu/blue cheese" camp. I forgot that was polarizing a few pages back . . . .

I have gotten Bleu Cheese dressing on a salad that comes with Bleu Cheese crumbles. No regrets.

I grew up on Limburger cheese sandwiches on onion rolls WITH sliced onions and Miracle Whip.

Mic drop.

• MichelleMinn
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Speaking of gross candy, my husband likes Necco wafters. He stockpiled the little dusty cardboard discs of sadness when he found out they were going out of business :lol:

I strongly suspect that you're also married to my husband.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/121025/why-does-ketchup-on-a-hot-dog-piss-people-off/

"No one should squirt ketchup on a hot dog after the age of 18, say officials at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, part of the American Meat Institute.

“You have to grow up sometime,” says council president Janet Riley, a.k.a. “the Queen of Wien” in her Hot Dog Etiquette video."

There's really a National Hot Dog and Sausage Council? Well, they can't tell me what to do.

*Squirts more ketchup on hotdog..."

I think it's hilarious how upset some get at the idea of ketchup on a hotdog. I also liked the baseball related theory for it, if you followed the link.

(I don't like ketchup on hotdogs, but think it's fine that others do.)

It's perfectly OK if someone wants to put ketchup on their hot dog. Really. It's ok and there's no reason for me to think badly of them. Really. It's
    OK. I might think they must have a defective microbiome or some epigenetic condition. But it's OK. Really.

Thank God it's ok, a hotdog without tomato sauce is.. well... just not a hot dog. Behold its magnificence. 🤤
    ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Also, I have to have apple sauce and crackling on my pork or it's not worth eating :#

Tomato sauce? Where are you from? where do they call ketchup tomato sauce at.

Australia 🐨🇦🇺
    I believe in the UK it's tomato sauce too, but I'm not certain.

Oh! What do you guys call the sauce you put in spaghetti?

Pasta sauce 🙂

I forget what I say. I think I say pasta sauce or maybe just sauce.

“ shoot we have no sauce”

I don’t remember. But yeah pasta sauce isn’t odd as hearing tomato sauce for ketchup. :smile:

For me "pasta sauce" includes any kind of sauce one might put on pasta (cream sauce, carbonara, something that's not really a sauce but olive oil + garlic + whatever else goes). Tomato sauce is a subset of pasta sauce.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/121025/why-does-ketchup-on-a-hot-dog-piss-people-off/

"No one should squirt ketchup on a hot dog after the age of 18, say officials at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, part of the American Meat Institute.

“You have to grow up sometime,” says council president Janet Riley, a.k.a. “the Queen of Wien” in her Hot Dog Etiquette video."

There's really a National Hot Dog and Sausage Council? Well, they can't tell me what to do.

I think it's hilarious how upset some get at the idea of ketchup on a hotdog. I also liked the baseball related theory for it, if you followed the link.

It's perfectly OK if someone wants to put ketchup on their hot dog. Really. It's ok and there's no reason for me to think badly of them. Really. It's
    OK. I might think they must have a defective microbiome or some epigenetic condition. But it's OK. Really.

Thank God it's ok, a hotdog without tomato sauce is.. well... just not a hot dog. Behold its magnificence. 🤤
    ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Also, I have to have apple sauce and crackling on my pork or it's not worth eating :#

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

Pasta sauce 🙂

I don’t remember. But yeah pasta sauce isn’t odd as hearing tomato sauce for ketchup. :smile:

For me "pasta sauce" includes any kind of sauce one might put on pasta (cream sauce, carbonara, something that's not really a sauce but olive oil + garlic + whatever else goes). Tomato sauce is a subset of pasta sauce.

Ok.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

I do love a good pizza
    t1971.gif

Ever had Detroit-style pizza?

Not that I know of.

What sort of pizza is it?

• lemurcat2
    edited June 2019
    Options

ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

Pasta sauce 🙂

Ok.

Since you mentioned spaghetti specifically, I suppose people also reference "spaghetti sauce" (which I would think of as a tomato-based sauce) or "meat sauce" (which I would think of as tomato sauce with ground beef and maybe some other veg).

I am aware people from other parts of the US may have other terms and would be interested in them, even though these are what I am familiar with. (Back in the day I think tomato sauce was "gravy" in some parts of the NE US, for example.)

From an old: when I was a kid pasta = spaghetti or mac and cheese or ravioli (and wasn't called pasta), but now it's mostly other kinds of pasta and is typically called pasta generically (and is much more rarely spaghetti).

Tomato sauce is also what's on pizza (unless it's white pizza).

I suppose this is now terminology vs. polarizing.

"Sauce" would be way more general than pasta sauce, let alone "tomato sauce." Hollandaise is a sauce, for example, among many others.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    In Australia if one were to order a hotdog ( or chips, a pie, pasty, sausage roll) with sauce, it would be assumed you meant tomato sauce unless you specified BBQ or some other sort.

Tomato sauce ( aka ketchup to Americans) would be the default assumption.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    In Australia if one were to order a hotdog ( or chips, a pie, pasty, sausage roll) with sauce, it would be assumed you meant tomato sauce unless you specified BBQ or some other sort.

Tomato sauce ( aka ketchup to Americans) would be the default assumption.

Sausage roll with tomato sauce *drool* :p
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    93d72zwjtzu1.gif
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Favorite Cookie (most won't get this)

zxhz7vyl8ba1.png

*sighs soulfully*
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Speaking of gross candy, my husband likes Necco wafters. He stockpiled the little dusty cardboard discs of sadness when he found out they were going out of business :lol:

I strongly suspect that you're also married to my husband.

Either that or he was the other person buying them all up on Amazon :lol:
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options

ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

A tomato sauce.

The tomato sauce you put on chips is 'tomato sauce', not 'a tomato sauce'.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    That sounds good, but as soon as the inside is more than mainly cheese and seasoning, I don't consider that a grilled cheese sandwich anymore.[/quote]

Yes, that's true, I agree with you. Even with only cheese, they still prefer garlic butter over plain butter on the outside. One of my sons is lactose intolerant and before we could get good lactose free cheese we used to make alternative grilled sandwiches for him so he wouldn't feel left out, they have now morphed into free for all grilled cheese+. Yummy though.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Pepper Jelly is another favourite in grilled cheese in our house, in lieu of mayo and pickles.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

ctssqg8qd3xf.jpg

Australia 🐨🇦🇺

A tomato sauce.

The tomato sauce you put on chips is 'tomato sauce', not 'a tomato sauce'.

Interesting.