The Perfect Human Diet

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Thanks for mentioning this program. I love this type of documentary because they make me think. Going to watch it now.
    Depends on how you view it though. Most documentaries are biased to the the agenda that the maker wants you to think in. So is it objective or subjective?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    When humans figured out agriculture is also when they started make great strides in civilization.

And if it were not for agriculture, our species would have probably died off...

And for the good of other species I expect they would claim. :)

Actually it has only been about 50 years since the event of modern farming using GMO's and chemicals vs tilling.. Tractors initially just displaced draft animals. Our human diseases just ramped up there after but surely there is no cause and effect going on.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

I started driving a tractor 63 years ago then a few years later was following a mule in the tobacco patch so just came from on the job training. I was 23 when Roundup came on the market and took shower in it when trying to unclog spray nozzles on the fly. Plot your diabetes numbers starting 50 years ago and note the trend line. I was at ground zero of modern farming practices. If one looks at long term history we know advanced human races tend to become extinct so with our lower life expectancy trend current in place we may be doing ourselves in as well.

Which "advanced" human races have become extinct? Australopithicus? Neanderthals?

You need to watch more episodes of "Ancient Aliens". :wink:

Documentaries should not be seen as a reliable source of information. It's important to understand that it's difficult to get people's attention, and a well-balanced even treatment of almost any subject matter just doesn't cut it. You need zing-pop-flash, which is most likely to happen when you have a controversial agenda and overly-dramatized info and testimonials. Any one film MAY be a reliable source of info, but it's on you to do further homework.

A documentary can be a good springboard for attempting to look into a subject further, but it's important to understand the doc's primary aim was to get you emotionally invested, and you need to do your best to place that aside and keep an open mind while looking for opposing POV's or confounding studies.

This need to nail down the "one true way" seems like such an unnecessary waste of time and intellectual energy. People thrive on a wide variety of dietary patterns; there is ample evidence of that. There's no prize in the race to be the first person who can prove they eat better than everyone else. :neutral:

And herein lies the problem.

Most people will watch these 'documentaries', believe every word, and have no interest whatsoever in investigating the claims any further than that. After all, it was on TV, maybe had a 'doctor' behind it, so it must be legit. And they merrily go on their way feeling so much more enlightened than previously, having no clue that what they just watched may have been entirely bogus.

The rub comes when they get on forums like this one and try to 'educate' everyone else. That usually doesn't end well. ;)

Exactly.

I gave some books on keto to a friend of mine who is doing keto but stalled on weight loss. She said she'd take them, but she probably won't read them because everything she needs to know is on Netflix or YouTube. 🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️ I understand the readily available and easily digestible info part of her arguement, but when you refuse any info that requires further digging, yet want to convert others, it's a problem.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I want to be genetically modified to manufacture my own vitamins C and D.