July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0

Some miles in to start July - just an easy run with a friend. My legs/feet are sore from walking around Chicago with not the best shoes and she is recovering from a marathon, so we just wanted a short and easy paced run. It was fun to catch up on our various adventures.

I got some new trail shoes today. They were super on sale and I am excited about using them for Spartan races and trail running because they are so lightweight and seem like they will drain well (which is a problem with my Salomon Speedcross 4s). But they are zero drop (Altra King MT) and I'm not sure if that's a mistake - can I use zero drop for trail only? I know they recommend transitioning to zero drop slowly. Anyone have experience with this?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Some miles in to start July - just an easy run with a friend. My legs/feet are sore from walking around Chicago with not the best shoes and she is recovering from a marathon, so we just wanted a short and easy paced run. It was fun to catch up on our various adventures.

I got some new trail shoes today. They were super on sale and I am excited about using them for Spartan races and trail running because they are so lightweight and seem like they will drain well (which is a problem with my Salomon Speedcross 4s). But they are zero drop (Altra King MT) and I'm not sure if that's a mistake - can I use zero drop for trail only? I know they recommend transitioning to zero drop slowly. Anyone have experience with this?

I loved my zero drop up until the point that I started getting Achilles’ tendon problems, which gave me no warning. I don’t think the Altras caused the tendon issues, since they first appeared after a trail run in my Speedcrosses, following a hard road run which was hard downhill and a leg workout which involved heavy heel raises. But I can’t use the Altras now that I have problems, until my ankle is fully healed.

My recommendation is to try a shorter easy trail run first.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

My wife and I both moved to Altras for trail only with no transition, but we both have done barefoot running too so we might be very bad examples. I suggest you follow their transition plan and see how it goes. Some people have issues, some do not. It is like any other aspect of a shoe - it is very much personal to you, your gait, and your foot.

In short, take it easy and see how it goes :)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Two miles to start July. We’ve had some craziness at the prison where I work, so hopefully it will help me rest well tonight so I can tackle tomorrow.

Re: memory - I don’t think my memory is as good as it used to be. I do try to learn new things, and I enjoy puzzles and games that require attention and memory.

Re: exercise addiction - When training, I definitely become a little obsessed, but not to the point where I am overdoing anything and putting myself in danger of injury. Mine is more so being consistent. I know when I need a break though.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    On the board with a walk that wasn't so bad. One of the "double-mint twins" commented that I was doing better. Puzzled, she explained she saw me out on crutches before. I think I've finally turned the corner and am almost there to start rebuilding.

I made a friend or two
    ql3cuw2n5xtc.jpg
    7lpfdeifyp8g.jpg
    Back in my running clothes... I'm thinking I should start thinking like a runner again and watch my food and try to get out more. I see doc2's assistant tomorrow, so hopefully we can define how much I am allowed to push through.

2.6 miles. No bone pain.

Sounds great that you had a good walk and are thinking and dressing like a runner! Hope you will get some good news about things tomorrow.

Is that a tarantula?!? I am not a big fan of snakes, but seeing a tarantula out and about would about do me in.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Altras @rheddmobile and @PastorVincent.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @katharmonic yes, it is a tarantula. They are pretty cool. Definitely a treat to see one that close. Usually they are in a hurry to get away from you.

I don’t think that tarantula is going to bother anyone. No reason not to just say “hi awesome critter” and mosey on. I bet Beary would love her. He ate a red wasp today and chased the biggest butterfly in the world. No snakes. Yet...

Hey. Am I not seeing right? Or does this spider have 9 legs? A polydactyl arachnid? Wait.. not dactyl... Poly-legs?
    3k2gt6jyked4.jpg
    n194e3llz3g4.jpg

Ok I dh look at it. Its a pedipalp. Google knows all.