Does anyone actually like kale?

Panys_mom
Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
I've tried making it 3 ways. In A salad, stir Fry, and soup. To me it's like celery. No matter what you do to it, kale tastes like kale.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Not me. A lot of people do. I don’t think it tastes like celery though, to me, it’s bitter. I like celery. Spinach has almost the same nutritional value, and I like it, so, I choose that instead.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Yeah I do. I finely chop it and eat raw in salad. It’s also nice if you spray the leaves with coconut oil and bake in oven and make “kale chips”

But agreed with the above - why eat it if you don’t like it? Just because it’s a “superfood”? I eat it coz I like it.

There are other leafy greens with good nutritional value and you don’t need to suffer with kale if it doesn’t rock your tastebuds.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    I do because I like all leafy greens, at least all the ones I tried. I don't eat celery because it makes my mouth itch. If I don't like something I just don't eat it, and no point in trying to get myself to like it when there are other foods I could eat. I don't eat sweet potatoes and squashes because I don't like them, so I don't care if others like them or if it has this or that nutrient. Literally every single nutrient found in kale can be found elsewhere.
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm not trying it because it's some superfood I heard about, I'm trying to get healthy so I need to try new things other than pizza and chocolate. I bought it because I thought it would be like spinach if I cooked it in a certain way and now it's still taste the same. The whole insert about celery was no matter what I do to celery, celery taste like celery. Kale taste like kale. I've gotten a liking to it ever since I detoxed all the crap from out of me, and I'll have some celery with cream cheese because it's like a dip but with kale I'm not sure if I just don't like kale or if I'm not making it right.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Not a fan of kale.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    I like kale :) That said, it took me a while to find recipes that involved kale that I liked. The first few tries at cooking it were awful, but now I have quite a few staple meals that use it. If you're not feeling 100% on it, I'd just check out some other leafy greens (arugula and spinach are fabulous) and keep an eye out for recipes you want to try with kale
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    It's OK. Would not pick it as one of my foods if I were stuck alone on an island though....

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I don't mind kale. For me the key was finding the right seasonings and flavors to enjoy it as a sauteed side dish. Also I make kale chips once in a while and also throw baby kale in my smoothies sometimes.

If there's something I don't like I might try to cook it in other ways. If I still don't like it however I wouldn't eat it.
  • marialba67
    marialba67 Posts: 79 Member
    *raises two hands enthusiastically* I love kale. The running joke among my friends whenever I'm out shopping for groceries is, "Did you leave kale for the other people?"

Celery is crunchy water and evil.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I like kale in salads, cooked into soups, and sauteed in olive oil. I don't care for spinach, though - so I don't eat it. Maybe try other greens until you find one you like?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Panys_mom wrote: »
    I've tried making it 3 ways. In A salad, stir Fry, and soup. To me it's like celery. No matter what you do to it, kale tastes like kale.

I like celery.

No, I don't care for kale, it's the spinach of adulthood.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm not trying it because it's some superfood I heard about, I'm trying to get healthy so I need to try new things other than pizza and chocolate. I bought it because I thought it would be like spinach if I cooked it in a certain way and now it's still taste the same. The whole insert about celery was no matter what I do to celery, celery taste like celery. Kale taste like kale. I've gotten a liking to it ever since I detoxed all the crap from out of me, and I'll have some celery with cream cheese because it's like a dip but with kale I'm not sure if I just don't like kale or if I'm not making it right.

In what way (other than weight if that is a problem) are you unhealthy now? Was the doctor unable to give you a supplement to take while you work on your diet?

The only real way detox is a thing is if it involves drugs, alcohol, or actual poisoning. The toxins are body takes in are naturally dealt with by our liver and nothing we can do will dramatically speed up the process.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    yuck, I was hoping the baked chip form would make it taste better, it doesn't :s
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member

There are a lot of foods out there besides kale, chocolate, and celery. Trying new things is certainly a good idea, but I'd say if you tried it 3 different ways and still don't like it, it's time to move on. There are thousands of foods out there that can be part of a "healthy" lifestyle (even pizza and chocolate on occasion), so there will be nothing missed if kale isn't for you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

There are a lot of foods out there besides kale, chocolate, and celery. Trying new things is certainly a good idea, but I'd say if you tried it 3 different ways and still don't like it, it's time to move on. There are thousands of foods out there that can be part of a "healthy" lifestyle (even pizza and chocolate on occasion), so there will be nothing missed if kale isn't for you.

This.

Also, I make a it a practice to try things I don't like initially or have grown to dislike every seven years or so. It hasn't worked on everything but it has worked on a few things.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,423 Member
    edited July 2019
    I love kale. My favorite way is when I sauté it with sausage, onions, garlic, olive oil and white beans in a chicken broth.