Weight loss has stopped, and I have gained weight eating at deficit

Options

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your terrific loss. You obviously have been doing something right for you. It’s working. Your body has been through a lot. Be kind to it. You said your Doctor said to restrict salt further and exercise more. Did you? Possibly more stress on your body. Stress often causes water retention. Just natural. Relax. Sleep well. Be proud of what you have already done. Doesn’t sound like you have done anything really crazy yet, just CICO. Don’t get crazy now. Keep doing what you know works. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • YomiRizer
    YomiRizer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I ran your numbers through Kevin Halls bwp. It takes into account some metabolic slowing with weight loss. To maintain your current weight you would have tobeat 3900 calories with a activity modified by 1.6 which is a guy who walks 30mins a day and has a desk job.
    I don't walk that much. I mostly do weight training. I also recently started doing burpees on my non-weight lifting days.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well..... I hear nothing in all this about resistance training or what have you. New or increased exercise could be causing some of the water retention. As can a multitude of other reasons and when the swings are so large it would definitely be something to get checked on.

I say you should go talk to your doctor again and make sure that anything bad is getting ruled out. And NOT do diuretics on your own but make sure that, if you take any and if they are appropriate for you, you do so under your doctor's supervision.

Also I think that I will introduce the concept of diet breaks. Since you started losing how often have you eaten at anything other than a substantial deficit?

I do lift weights, but I took a break last october after Hurricane Michael decimated my city. I think I started back up around the time the water weight started to build up. Not sure.

I ate at maintenance a couple weeks ago to see if it would break, what I thought, was a plateau. But my weight is still going up, how ever my waist has gone down. I woke up this morning to being 48 inches instead of 49.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What is it about the body that means that fat loss can cause this problem?
  • YomiRizer
    edited July 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Seems really rude to kick a man when he is actively on his way down in size. I know my weight causes some of the issues I am having but I don't need someone rubbing my nose in it.

I would keep trying to find a doctor that will listen to you. Mine was confused initially by what was happening to me but he listened and trusted that I watch myself enough to know the difference between water and fat gain.

I'm now 360 lbs. I've gained 10 more lbs in a week.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you have an unexpected and persistent water weight increase, and even for a big person 10 lb or *more by the sounds of it* (since you mentioned an inch increase to your waist up thread), anyway a persistent and substantial increase in water weight that's not well explained.... and this one isn't .... Well it certainly is calling for a visit to a doctor and pretty right away too. Just to rule out some fairly important to start fighting with right away possible issues ...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Momjogger wrote: »
    nooboots wrote: »
    What is it about the body that means that fat loss can cause this problem?
    I’ve read that your fat cells can pull in water to try and maintain homeostasis. Unfortunately we can lose fat, but our little empty storage cells remain. It sucks.
    Momjogger wrote: »
    Our bodies are complex and you are always fighting a metabolism that wants to slow to conserve weight. I hit a 2 week plateau for no reason. My doctor recommended I decrease my calories and add more exercise to jump start the weight loss again. I added weight lifting to my cardio. It helped. Maybe you could try adding cardio to your weight lifting? I know it is discouraging, but please don’t let this set you back mentally. You’ve done such a great job! Trust that if you stay the path, things will start to move downward again. Good luck!

While all this is good... I am not sure that it is addressing edema that has added more than an inch and 10+ lbs? Though maybe I am under-estimating how big a water weight swing can be on a bigger person. Heck, even I had a 7lb swing on an all you can eat restaurant meal :-)

Mine exceeded 15 pounds.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    YomiRizer wrote: »
    Seems really rude to kick a man when he is actively on his way down in size. I know my weight causes some of the issues I am having but I don't need someone rubbing my nose in it.

I would keep trying to find a doctor that will listen to you. Mine was confused initially by what was happening to me but he listened and trusted that I watch myself enough to know the difference between water and fat gain.

I'm going to echo @NovusDies and @PAV8888 here OP. I don't know about PAV, but I do know Novus has lost an enormous amount of weight and has a solid idea of what he's talking about.

My own personal experience was caring for my dad who had similar issues to what you're describing. I hope you find another doctor soon. There's got to be at least one who's willing to work with you.
  • YomiRizer
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

I'm going to echo @NovusDies and @PAV8888 here OP. I don't know about PAV, but I do know Novus has lost an enormous amount of weight and has a solid idea of what he's talking about.

My own personal experience was caring for my dad who had similar issues to what you're describing. I hope you find another doctor soon. There's got to be at least one who's willing to work with you.

I should be moving within the next month, so maybe I'll get better help there. I just don't get it, if something was seriously wrong with me. Shouldn't I have other symptoms than just massive water gain?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    so maybe I'll get better help there. I just don't get it, if something was seriously wrong with me. Shouldn't I have other symptoms than just massive water gain?

Not necessarily.