Brussels Sprouts, good or bad?!

raeannvidal
raeannvidal Posts: 7 Member
I personally have grown fond of Brussels sprouts and I think they have a bad wrap. They’re very tasty when cooked right!! What are your Brussels sprout recipes?

Here’s mine:

1 cup Brussels sprouts (cut in halves)
Drizzle olive oil
Sprinkle lemon pepper
Sprinkle cayenne pepper
Bake for 30 minutes on 350
Drizzle balsamic vinegar and enjoy!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Roasted with spray oil (I prefer Rapeseed Oil one) with black pepper, a little parmesan and tossed with some dry-fried pancetta.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    They are really good paired with sun dried tomatoes too. The tomatoes take less time to cook so I add them about halfway through. I use salt, cayenne and fresh garlic on the brussel sprouts. Sometimes I sautee them instead of baked.

Lemon sounds interesting. I'll have to try your recipe.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    There ability to taste the chemical in Brussels sprouts which some people find offensive is genetic - they even know the precise gene! If you like them, chances are good that you can’t taste the chemical which makes them bitter. Enjoy them, but no need to keep pushing them on those who don’t like them - there is no way of preparing them which will change the consumer’s genetics!

I like them with maple syrup and bacon.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Shredded fine and added to salad.

Just heard this yesterday. Cook in oven, toss with 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, let them caramelize, sprinkle with crisp crumbled bacon. Sounds scrumptious!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I only like them roasted in the oven.

Salt pepper cut in halve and baked for 30 mins.
    Balsamic glaze
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    There ability to taste the chemical in Brussels sprouts which some people find offensive is genetic - they even know the precise gene! If you like them, chances are good that you can’t taste the chemical which makes them bitter. Enjoy them, but no need to keep pushing them on those who don’t like them - there is no way of preparing them which will change the consumer’s genetics!

I like them with maple syrup and bacon.

I dunno, I never liked them until I tried cooking them myself, always had them boiled at family Christmas dinners with no seasoning and all I could taste was the bitter aftertaste. Since I started pan-frying them or roasting them I don't get that nasty aftertaste. So although some people might not ever warm to them, there are converts amongst us.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    I personally have grown fond of Brussels sprouts and I think they have a bad wrap. They’re very tasty when cooked right!! What are your Brussels sprout recipes?

Here’s mine:

1 cup Brussels sprouts (cut in halves)
    Drizzle olive oil
    Sprinkle lemon pepper
    Sprinkle cayenne pepper
    Bake for 30 minutes on 350
    Drizzle balsamic vinegar and enjoy!

Not always a fan of Balsamic. Try this way (your recipe) but grill or broil them for some added depth of flavor.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    👎🏻hate them, along with quinoa and kale, no matter how they are prepared.
    I decided some time ago that there’s too much delicious food out there to waste calories on foods you don’t like, even it they are nutritionally good for you. I must have the anti gene.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I only like them roasted in the oven.

Salt pepper cut in halve and baked for 30 mins.
    Balsamic glaze

Ditto. Oven-roasted with balsamic reduction :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I've always liked them, even when I was a kid. I usually just roast mine with some salt and pepper.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Love them...and thinking about what I will do with the bag of them at home now that you all have shared your recipes with me!
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    My experience has been that people over-season Brussels sprouts. I LOVE them. All I do is trim them, cut them in half, toss with a little EVOO and salt/pepper. Roast at 420 for 10 min, stir around, roast for another 10-12 min or until brown/crispy. NOM
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    Pan, water, boil for 10 minutes, et voila! Not even joking, tried frying, roasting, but still prefer the simplest, lowest calorie method.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I've never had them, I can't get past what my mother told me once, she used to bake or boil them ( I can't remember) and them spritz lemon juice on them, I asked her once why she liked them, and she said "I don't, they taste horrible".
    I've never been able to get past that and try them.....
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I hated brussel sprouts as a kid because my mom boiled them (yuck)
    My recipe is delish!!

Sprouts cut in half. Mix with:
    Olive oil
    sliced garlic
    shallots
    lemon salt
    ground pepper

Roast, but be sure not to over cook. Should still be a bit crispy/firm.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Not a fan... I've tried them several times and have never been happy with them.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I love brussles sprouts. I typically roast them with salt and pepper or adobo powder. They're also very good sliced thinly (shredded) and sauteed in duck fat and I know lots of people who like to eat them roasted with bacon or pancetta.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Like all the brassica family I think a lot of people over cook them desperately. My rule of thumb with sprouts, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower is to boil in water with a pinch of salt and sometimes a splash of lemon for no more than 3-4mins. I know when they’re done if I can waft the steam from the pan and just get a hint of the smell. Drain, grind black pepper or, better still, lemon pepper and eat! I’ve regularly eaten just a plate of sprouts as dinner since I was a teen!

I know I’m in the minority but the idea of roasting sprouts (or broccoli and cauliflower) just turns my stomach! They have to be vibrant emerald green and still with ‘bite’, not the khaki slimy things they turn into in the oven!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    Good.

But give me hella gas, so bad.