But I Like Cardio More

Options
13»

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the nerd fitness site? MIght appeal to your gamer side.

I love your Judgy Cat. I have 2 who judge me, but I don't let it get to me.

Other than that, agreed with all of the above. Don't do what you don't want to do, no need to lift if you don't like it (but it DOES have health benefits such as bone density). Just play Beat Saber and there you go. Worked out. For free.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    This thread has inspired a lot of googling by me. I ended up running across videos of strength training using a sledgehammer that actually looked more fun than traditional gym sessions.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Man...just exercise. You're working some muscle somewhere, unless you're really trying to grow a specific muscle, you're doing a net good regardless. If you like cardio, you're working our that heart, and your likely very increased lifespan will thank you.

People will say cardio is a waste of time when their goals aren't overall fitness, but perhaps just efficient muscle growth. That and it's very easy to burn yourself out with cardio; it uses a lot of calories. This can make building muscle a bit more tedious, especially in a calorie deficit. However, unless you're a very low body fat, or simply aren't eating enough at all (this amount being up for heavy debate), I would never say it's a waste of time.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My exercise strategy is a bit dis-organised, but it's to move around a lot. This may be climbing, lifting, hiking, yoga, swimming, kettlebells, scuba, badminton or anything else that strikes me as entertaining.

Is it "optimal", and would I be better off following one programme with less variety? My aim is to move around a lot, and so as long as I find everything fun, it meets my objectives. If I don't enjoy it, then I will do it less frequently and eventually give up. I could certainly get stronger if I lifted more and did less miscellaneous cardio, but I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also HATE weightlifting. I love cardio! but I like the way I look when lifting heavy things. I have been thinner from cardio, and not liked my body near as much as when I was heavy lifting. No one can make you do it, but I see the best results when I do both.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The other time I was in a similar shape as I am now, I currently lift, I was doing ballet and triathlon. Just to echo what others have said, you do not have to do weights, but mixing up your cardio is a good way to geta variety of strength in. Adding something like swimming or rowing that has upper body involvement is a good idea (your boxing video would count). Also things like plyometrics and power moves I find way more fun that straight lifting. box jumps and jump squats and jumping lunges etc are super fun for me. You might look for online exercise routines that incorporate moves like these.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be running, biking or swimming than lifting weights too but there are certain things we do (like eating broccoli) because they're good for you.

I'm going to assume that you're not competing in any endurance events so the injury resistance angle might not appeal to you. You, judging by your profile picture, also have youth on your side but as we age strength training becomes critical to maintain lean muscle mass (men start losing it around 40, for women the loss becomes more pronounced with menopause) and bone density. While it's not the fountain of youth consider the fact that much of the frailty suffered by the elderly could have been mitigated with 90 minutes or so a week spent in the gym lifting.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    my cat judges me
    That's always the case, my cats constantly judge me when I workout at home. I started with <50lb adjustable dumbbells and now can bench 1.5x bodyweight, squat & deadlift 2x bodyweight and they're still not impressed.

Lifting embodies everything that drives me away from physical fitness: boring repetition of exercises for the sake of exercise

Most people do feel this way about cardio, but you don't. I don't feel this way about lifting but do about cardio. For me lifting is all about improving and testing your body's boundaries, it can be technically, physically, and mentally challenging, and progress can be just as measurable and quantifiable to cardio. So, No you don't have to lift if you don't want to; to lose weight all you have to do is eat in a caloric deficit. However, depending on your ultimate physique goals lifting may be the path you need to follow if you truly want to end up looking how you like... or not. I got some great advice from another user a few years ago; manage your calories to manage your weight/fat, do exercise for health, fitness, enjoyment, and improving your physique.

Edit was for formatting
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    weight lifting wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so darn heavy!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    weight lifting wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so darn heavy!

ed5xziavpryd.png