Over training.

Options
Hey all,

I felt like making this post because I am seeing more and more people on here who are going crazy with their workouts. I see some people who go for long runs in the morning, P90X or Inanity in the afternoon, and strength train in the evening, then get 6 hours of sleep or less, just to do it again the next day, without taking a full day off for rest.

I won't try to convince them to pull back, because it's not my place, but I feel it would be wise to share some good information with everyone on here.

By working out at a high intensity, or ramping up your workouts quickly, especially without good rest, puts you at high risk of over training. Over training is simply when you put your body through more stress than it is accustomed to for an extended period of time. The symptoms of over training are as follows:

Common Warning Signs and Symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome

- Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
- Mild leg soreness, general aches and pains
- Pain in muscles and joints
- Sudden drop in performance
- Insomnia
- Headaches
- Decreased immunity (increased number of colds, and sore throats)
- Decrease in training capacity / intensity
- Moodiness and irritability
- Depression
- Loss of enthusiasm for the sport
- Decreased appetite
- Increased incidence of injuries.
- A compulsive need to exercise

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

Most professional athletes have experienced it, as it is a very common occurrence. It is especially common in beginners because they feel the need to workout more and more, in order to burn off the weight as quickly as possible.

The last symptom is especially scary, because if you are over training, you may feel the need to keep pushing harder and harder, while getting upset and depressed with yourself because you aren't getting any faster, and are actually getting slower and weaker.

If you suspect you're suffering any of these symptoms, take a day off and see how you feel the next day. It doesn't take long for you to recover from over training. All you need is rest.

The best way to prevent over training from happening in the first place is to measure your heart rate in the morning, right after you wake up, and before you get out of bed. Simply check it with two fingers over the artery in your neck, and count the number of beat in one minute. I avoid counting more 15 seconds, because multiplying it by 4 increases the risk of error. That is your resting heart rate. It should be consistent every morning, and over time, as you become stronger, it will gradually decrease over time.

If one morning, it is elevated by 5 bpm or more, your body is under stress, and you should take it easy that day. If it is up by 10 bpm or more, then you're either over training, or you have an illness coming on. It is strongly recommended you take that day off and see how you feel the next day.

Keep a log of your waking heart rates. Over time, you will be able to see a trend, and you will learn more about yourself as time goes by. Knowledge is power, and with this power you will be able to train better and harder!

Another way to prevent over training is by starting out EASY, and increasing your intensity, duration, or distance by no more than 10% every week, month, and year. Also give yourself "plateaus" and rest weeks to give your body a break from the ever-increasing stress you are giving it. Do your best to keep all this logged as well so you can look back on it and see how well you're doing!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thing but I just wanted to add that it is also much easier to truly "overtrain" when you are also "undereating" which is technically what a weight loss inducing calorie deficit is.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thing but I just wanted to add that it is also much easier to truly "overtrain" when you are also "undereating" which is technically what a weight loss inducing calorie deficit is.

That is also very true, and all the more reason to eat at least *some* of your calories back, if you've already got a weight loss deficit set up by MFP.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bump. In hopes more people will read this.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! I am wwwwaaayyy overstrained. I am on day two of rest. I have been going to the gym, eating , nap, lunch, nap, dinner, bed. This is no way to live. I hope to see some improvement soon. You confirmed my suspicion on my over training, thank you.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post OP!!!!!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Until I took up Indoor Rowing (a strange niche' sport), I hadn't heard of that resting HR trick mentioned in your post, OP. That's how, it turns out, US Rowing coaches monitor athletes -- with checking and monitoring Resting HR. Simple trick anyone can do. If they find their RHR creeping up, the subscribe lots of slow, steady state work.

The "recovery" doesn't have to be complete rest. It could be a few days of just really taking it easy on cardio work. For cardio addicts like me, that's useful to know also.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Until I took up Indoor Rowing (a strange niche' sport), I hadn't heard of that resting HR trick mentioned in your post, OP. That's how, it turns out, US Rowing coaches monitor athletes -- with checking and monitoring Resting HR. Simple trick anyone can do. If they find their RHR creeping up, they actually subscribe lots of slow, steady state work.

The "recovery" doesn't have to be complete rest. It could be a few days of just really taking it easy on cardio work. For cardio addicts like me, that's useful to know also.

Could be someone is doing too many intervals, intense sessions, etc. Once, the HR goes back to normal RHR, resume actitivities as before.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Until I took up Indoor Rowing (a strange niche' sport), I hadn't heard of that resting HR trick mentioned in your post, OP. That's how, it turns out, US Rowing coaches monitor athletes -- with checking and monitoring Resting HR. Simple trick anyone can do. If they find their RHR creeping up, they actually subscribe lots of slow, steady state work.

Could be someone is doing too many intervals, intense sessions, etc. Once, the HR goes back to normal RHR, resume actitivities as before.

100%.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Until I took up Indoor Rowing (a strange niche' sport), I hadn't heard of that resting HR trick mentioned in your post, OP. That's how, it turns out, US Rowing coaches monitor athletes -- with checking and monitoring Resting HR. Simple trick anyone can do. If they find their RHR creeping up, the subscribe lots of slow, steady state work.

My RHR bounces around at random. Or maybe my watch isn't very good at reading it.

The all day stress thing in modern Garmins is scary accurate. I've heard of people doing well using that (for this purpose).

I have a power meter, so for me TSS (and ATL vs CTL) works very well in the summer.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I didn't know that about RHR. I have always been curious what mine is. Now I'm going to find out and keep some data. Thanks, OP!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great post.
    Too many I've seen comment that only experienced can put in a level of effort to overtrain, so untrue. Even easier I think for untrained dieters taking who knows how unreasonable a deficit.

The other problem I've noticed people have that are not experienced with observing things, and have no objective measurement method (pace, weight on bar, ect) is they'll push doing whatever so it feels the same level of effort to them.

Problem is as body starts losing it over days or weeks, they may "feel" like they are pushing themselves to the same level - but they really aren't.

So what used to be a level of workout that would cause the body to improve, starts becoming just spinning their wheels with no improvement.

And I've found in the past too - the body will get the rest it needs - eventually through some means.
    Usually getting sick and being out of commission for way more days/weeks than doing things smart in the first place would have prevented.
    Or worse injury that really takes you out.

I shudder every time someone starts a post about not losing weight with working out 3 x daily and works out to be over 50% deficit.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience the symptoms described in the original post for overtraining but I did injure myself really badly in 2017 when I tried to start exercising every day when I wasn't accustomed to doing so for a long period of time. I gave myself pyriformus syndrome and was told to rest. I did rest for a couple days and then was on my feet for several hours for an evening event. That alone did me in. My pyriformus muscle became so inflamed that I had to be on bed rest taking heavy meds for 10 days. During that time I gained 11 lbs. I had muscle atrophy and required physical therapy to increase strength for walking and regain some flexibility in my hip.

Going full bore at the beginning isn't worth it.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I definitely have compulsive need to exercise, i thought its good thing, but i don't regret it really i enjoy spending time in gym running here and exercising there instead of just staying home.
    I don't have alot of friends so over training is the way to cope stress
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Good post but would add that although rest is recovery not all recovery is rest.
    Depending on the person and the stresses they put themselves though active recovery can be more productive than rest. It's not a binary choice between training or rest.

I burned too many matches on my lunch ride today, I should be tapering for Sunday. Recovery walks, lots of carbs, and a temporary surplus. Last weekend I was sore from a long and strenuous hike, an easy recovery ride made me feel a lot better. Increasing blood flow to the legs is really helpful.
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I’ve been really struggling this week and decided I’ve just been doing to much and I’m going to slow down this week and give myself some slack. Good to read that everything I’ve been experiencing is what my gut has been telling me.
    RHR is a good idea to implement 🙂