Weight loss by Xmas?

I’m currently 80kg (176lbs) I’m 5’2 and the weight is mostly in my stomach and chest. Could I realistically get to 55kg (120lbs) by Christmas? 56lbs in 5 and 12 months seem possible but hard. I just want to lose weight before Christmas and all my fault comes down that I haven’t seen in a while. It’s summer here in New Zealand at Christmas and I want to be able to wear nice summer clothes for once instead of hiding in layers trying to hide my rolls and muffin tops... the whole bakery that is my body at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a realistic goal?
Can anyone suggest work out? Cardio, strength... both?

Can anyone suggest Marcos? I’ve done keto and I don’t mine the low carb deal... but I’m scared of the high fat situation as my family has a really bad history of high cholesterol and heart disease.

Thank you so much in advance.

Replies

• hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    I've found that the most people can lose per week is around 1% per week. That calculates to 63.5 kg at Christmas.
  • I'm aiming to lose 30 lbs between now and Christimas (around 1.5lbs a week)
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Echoing what others above me have said, you can likely lose about 20-30lbs by Christmas in a healthy manner. This is a great loss though! Even if its not your goal, think of how much better you will feel 20lbs down over staying the same if you are unhappy where you currently are.

I would recommend adding weight training/resistance training as well!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I'm aiming to lose 30 lbs between now and Christimas (around 1.5lbs a week)

How did you arrive at this goal and how are you planning on achieving it?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    You could accomplish quite a bit in that time with exercise and diet. For certain, sticking with a calorie deficit you will be in a better place than you are now. Maybe not as much weight lost as you hope, but definitely worth working towards.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    80kg isn’t that extreme and even a 10kg loss (which is doable) by Christmas will see a massive change in your body composition. I would say that 55 is not doable safely but you can make massive improvement by Dec anyway. I am currently 76kg and aiming for 65kg by Christmas. I may or may not get there but I’ll look and feel much better either way. Remember that weight loss isn’t an end goal but rather an ongoing lifestyle change.
  • LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I'm aiming to lose 30 lbs between now and Christimas (around 1.5lbs a week)

How did you arrive at this goal and how are you planning on achieving it?

Just figuring out a calorie and activity level that will give me a 750 cal deficit each week. At the minute thats a daily calorie goal of 2000 and a weekly calorie burn of 19000. Calulated via Fitbit HR tracker.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    its too high of a goal by the christmas, but you can get it there by the next summer, if you will stick to it. There will probably be ups and downs.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited August 2019
    TaraJerard wrote: »
    I’m currently 80kg (176lbs) I’m 5’2 and the weight is mostly in my stomach and chest. Could I realistically get to 55kg (120lbs) by Christmas? 56lbs in 5 and 12 months seem possible but hard. I just want to lose weight before Christmas and all my fault comes down that I haven’t seen in a while. It’s summer here in New Zealand at Christmas and I want to be able to wear nice summer clothes for once instead of hiding in layers trying to hide my rolls and muffin tops... the whole bakery that is my body at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a realistic goal? Realistic is something that's sustainable, you could set yourself to 2lbs per week for the first 10-20 pounds of your loss, but will it be sustainable for you? Only you know the answer to that. As you get closer to goal you will need to slow down the loss, so Christmas is most likely a bit too soon for you to hit your goal, but you could make some great progress by then

Can anyone suggest work out? Cardio, strength... both? For fat loss it's calories that matter, exercise is good for health and fitness - cardio for heart health, it burns more calories but it can increase appetite which can be counterproductive if you're over-doing it, strength training for muscle maintenance (will help improve body composition as you lose fat), it's also good for improving bone density, which is especially important for women as we're more prone to osteoporosis, it doesn't burn as many calories as cardio. Find something you enjoy doing and you're more likely to stick with it.

Can anyone suggest Marcos? I’ve done keto and I don’t mine the low carb deal... but I’m scared of the high fat situation as my family has a really bad history of high cholesterol and heart disease. Macros are a personal preference, as long as you get your minimum protein (also helps with muscle maintenance, can help with satiety) and fat requirements (helps with the absorption of certain vitamins and can also help with satiety) you can eat whatever mix feels right for you in terms of satiety and food preference. Eat foods you enjoy in sensible portions that meet your calorie goal and your macros.

Thank you so much in advance.