Worth hiring someone to get macros and calorie intake numbers?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you go this route, I'd go for nothing less than a Registered Dietitian. Though outside of medical conditions requiring certain dietary restrictions and the like, I wouldn't personally see the need.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    raven56706 wrote: »
    without a doubt. thats why i am such in a cross roads. I get that i have been on MFP for years but i have hit some bad road blocks so looking to see new ways of getting back on track. Havent been good at getting back so thats why i ask for advice.

So are you saying that used MFPs goals and it didn't work?

What do you consider roadblocks? It's normal to have times where the weight loss just doesn't follow. It's normal to have weeks where you just feel a little weaker than you usually do when you work out. It's normal to have days where you just can't stick to your calorie goal, so you have to allow yourself maintenance calories.

Have you been consistent for months at a time? Is it possible that you keep changing your plan every few weeks because you are impatient?

These are very good questions. It's also good if you can tell us why you feel MFP's calories and macros were not working for you (no weight loss, lack of energy, constabt headaches, etc.) and over what time period. That way maybe we can make better suggestions for you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    There exists no magic mix and unless you're either at peak performance already, or coasting along and playing with optimization in your spare time that final micro managed 5%-10% boost is not where 95% to 90% of your results will come from.

If you want to be strong nail your appropriate for your level exercise/strength training routine

Support that by nailing the appropriate caloric balance for your goals be they hypertrophy, recomposition, or appropriate moderate weight loss.

Reverse the order of the above two points if weight loss is your primary goal.

Support your caloric balance and your health by making more healthy choices, ensuring adequate consumption of protein, fiber, and fat, and then eating the rest of your macros in the way that is most satisfying and satiating for you and gives you the best chance to be able to continue to comply with your plan.

MFP default macro values for protein, fat, and fibre meet or exceed the minimums you should hit.

You don't have to be precise and exact to get the first 90% of your results.

Now, of you're already 12% body fat and prepping for a competition, that last but may be necessary!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You are hitting roadblock and I understand that is frustrating. When I look at your stated objective of burning fat and working out 5 days per week, I think a couple of things.

The first is, I find it helpful to separate exercise and fat loss in my mind. Fat loss comes from diet. Pure and simple. If someone has issues with fat loss, they are eating too many calories and not creating a deficit (or enough of a deficit) to meet their expectations. Macros are only significant to meet exercise goals and for satiety. Calorie deficit. Adequate protein and fat. Then whatever you prefer. It is simple really.

If someone is not meeting their expectations, it is usually for one of 2 reasons. Inaccurate measurement and logging (not logging everything or not using a food scale) or non-compliance (not staying consistent on their plan). You start using estimates but after a time, if there has been accuracy and consistency, there should be results. If the results don't meet expectations, you now have your own real world data to make adjustments and no longer have to rely on estimates. This means staying consistent and on plan for a good period of time. 2 to 3 months before making adjustments or else you just cloud the data with too many short term adjustments.

Exercise is for fitness and quality of life. Decide your fitness goal. Pick a program that is proven for that goal. stick with it for at least 3 months and measure progress. This will give you a few more calories to eat but exercise does not "burn fat" unless the diet is in order.

While it is not always easy, it is really that simple. Set a good plan, put your head down and execute it for 3 months. Evaluate and adjust if necessary.

thanks for this. i will need to man up and just do something for 3 months. thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Momjogger wrote: »
    Aside from completely missing my point, if you hadn’t been so eager to jump on my comment, you would have noticed that I deleted it. It was meant for a different thread and while some of your knowledge is very useful, I noticed that you like to try to disagree, debunk, or just debate people and I’m not into that. I’d prefer to respect other people’s input and just give my own. I’d appreciate it if you’d do the same when it comes to my comments. Thank you.

You might find the tone you're looking for in https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/motivation-and-support

You can also put posters who don't interact with you the way you'd like them to on Ignore.