Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fair to Request “No Junk Food” at HOME?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,904 Member
    That's fine then - if he is not bothered and it works for you.

You didnt have all that in previous post.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    pjwrt wrote: »
    80CATS wrote: »
    TL; DR: fair to ask others to honor a “no junk in the house” rule?
    I don't know a man who doesn't have a top secret stash of the good stuff. A man has gotta eat what's he gotta eat, even if he has to sneak.

If he keeps doing it, withhold until he folds.

(Good thing this is anonymous. The bros would beat me for divulging secrets)

Never had a secret stash.

You must hang with an "interesting" group.

Personally, I only had a secret stash when I was I was a minor living with family. I had four siblings, and unless something was hidden, it could be gone in an instant. We're adults now, but one of my siblings will still take things when I'm home. She'll pay for it now but if and only if confronted.
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    I've asked my Husband to keep all of his snacks out of my sight. He does this. It works for us. You need to find out what works for you.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    My boyfriend and I have completely different eating habits and goals...what helps is we now have two separate food cabinets and fridge drawers for our own food. So we don’t have to see each other’s food :)
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 544 Member
    It would be nice if he would do that, even better if he supports you as much as possible but in the end it's what you put in your mouth.

I have two teenage sons in the house and quickly realised it's me that needs adjusting as I couldn't ask them to do so. Now one of my sons has changed his food choices for the better (without me prompting) and the other one is starting to be more aware too.

Good luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I think it is okay to ask those you live with to eat a few foods you have trouble moderating with outside the home, only bring small quantities into the house or keep their snacks out of sight.

I think if you are asking someone to change their whole diet for you to control yourself that is not fair though. If it is a lot of foods then I think you need to work on your coping tools instead of just trying to avoid everything you might overeat.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 671 Member
    I think its unfair.

I live with a person (not my spouse/partner) who is not dieting. There is no way I would ever ask him to not buy his favorite foods and snacks because I'm on a diet. He has a stash of about 15 boxes of Girl Scout cookies in the freezer along with some mini chocolate candy bars and ice cream. In the pantry he keeps chips, pretzels, packaged cookies, etc. He regularly brings cake and pie into the house and he also bakes his own desserts.

It's his food, not mine and I leave it alone. We are both grown *kitten* adults and can have whatever we want. My diet is on me to maintain; not him.

^^This
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    What would you think if I said I asked my spouse not to have any cheese, ham, potatoes, turkey or bread in the house? I have gone over my calories before with those kind of foods. You'd probably think it was my problem not his because it is not chips or ice cream and should learn to eat less. Maybe we give type of food too much power by just saying no junk food.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,904 Member
    I think it is a matter of degree - anything that makes the partner change their diet or way of life drastically - no.

But keeping a few trigger snacks out of sight - yes.

and yes we know OP will need to cope with being around others at work , everywhere else - but that isnt really the point

Just like ,for example, someone with a drinking problem might ask their partner not to drink in front of them or to keep his/her alcohol out of sight.
    That would be reasonable.

Asking the partner, who does not have a drinking problem, to become a teetotaller or expecting everyone at parties to have no alcohol - not reasonable.

But that isnt what OP is asking.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    80CATS wrote: »
    So, hubbz and I are both overweight BIG EATERS, I am actively trying to lose, he is not actively trying to, but does work out regularly.

IS IT FAIR TO KINDLY REQUEST that my (fellow plus sized) partner refrain from bringing junk food in house?

TL; DR: fair to ask others to honor a “no junk in the house” rule?

It's fair to ask for compromise, but it doesn't feel like you are doing that.

Figure out a way that also respects his rights as a non-dieter. Maybe a locked junk food cabinet, for him
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,504 Member
    If you are in a relationship you need to understand what each other needs and not impose your lifestyle on theirs. That counts both for your husband leaving crisps out in front of you and you throwing them away. Basically you were both wrong and then you are just escalating things.

Here is the key - talk about it with him rather than with us - we might be a sounding board however you need to actually face the issues in RL.
  • beckyrpl
    beckyrpl Posts: 73 Member
    I'm vertically challenged - I just ask my Hubby to put any snacks on the top shelf of the pantry. I can't reach anything up there, I can't even SEE anything up there. Most of the time, it's 'out of sight, out of mind'. On the off-chance I either decide to scale the shelf, or drag over my step stool, I figure I've burned enough calories in the process to have some of whatever is up there.