For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I've really been loving brussel sprouts lately! Roasted in a pan with a little bit of oil, garlic, salt and pepper. It gets a little crispy and charred. Sometimes I drizzle with balsamic glaze. So delicious! I also really love tomatoes, green onions, butter lettuce, carrots, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, and butternut squash. I've never really cared for radishes, but maybe I need to try it a different way? I'm just not a fan of the raw stuff.

I've been on a brussel sprout kick too lately. I'd never made them until a month ago and discovered how good they are roasted with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and spices!

As far as radish, I recently sliced up a Daikon radish and added it to stir fries. I've never tried it but have read of roasting regular radishes like you would do with baby potatoes. I personally don't think radishes have much flavor, though homegrown ones come out spicier.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My question:
    Got a love affair of your own with the veggie realm?
    Too many to count! Current favorites: Beets (golden are my favorite), green beans and artichokes

What is the vegetable you love introducing to nonveggie-loving friends?
    Brussels Sprouts (roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper)

What new-to-you veggie are you surprised that you like?
    Turnip

How do you boost nutrition in meals/recipes with innovative veggie additions?
    Adding bean or alfalfa sprouts to foods and salads..great on sandwiches.

Are you doing cool stuff with jackfruit? Spiralizing celerac?
    I.......Have no idea what either of these are unless celrac is celery or celeriac misspelled?

What preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit?
    Roasting. It makes boring vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli and carrots SOOOOO TASTY!

My recent obsession is this sauce I make (like a very chunky putanesca) with olives, cherry tomatoes, garlic and onions...a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I let that simmer and get happy on one side of the pan while cooking my fish (lately it's baramundi and salmon) on the other. NOM NOM NOM
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Celeriac is celery root. Tastes like celery but texture more like a daikon radish. Can be eaten raw in slaw, spiralized or grated.

My seasonal favourites are the earthy tasting vegetables. Roasted green artichokes. Steamed globe artichokes dipped in vinaigrette. Though next time I a might try making a hollandaise for globe artichokes.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Whoops. I mean roasted grean asparagus and steamed globe artichokes.
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

I love just lemon butter with my artichoke. Might negate some of the healthiness of the dish but...whatevs. It's delicious.
  • acpgee
    Options

I love just lemon butter with my artichoke. Might negate some of the healthiness of the dish but...whatevs. It's delicious.

Lemon butter is a good idea. Less work than hollandaise. We normally just have vinaigrette I was thinking something buttery might make nice change.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    List of Crop Plants Pollinated by Bees

Bees don't need to pollinate every single crop, but here is just a brief list of some of the foods we would lose if all our bees continue to perish:

Apples
    Mangos
    Rambutan
    Kiwi Fruit
    Plums
    Peaches
    Nectarines
    Guava
    Rose Hips
    Pomegranites
    Pears
    Black and Red Currants
    Alfalfa
    Okra
    Strawberries
    Onions
    Cashews
    Cactus
    Prickly Pear
    Apricots
    Allspice
    Avocados
    Passion Fruit
    Lima Beans
    Kidney Beans
    Adzuki Beans
    Green Beans
    Orchid Plants
    Custard Apples
    Cherries
    Celery
    Coffee
    Walnut
    Cotton
    Lychee
    Flax
    Acerola – used in Vitamin C supplements
    Macadamia Nuts
    Sunflower Oil
    Goa beans
    Lemons
    Buckwheat
    Figs
    Fennel
    Limes
    Quince
    Carrots
    Persimmons
    Palm Oil
    Loquat
    Durian
    Cucumber
    Hazelnut
    Cantaloupe
    Tangelos
    Coriander
    Caraway
    Chestnut
    Watermelon
    Star Apples
    Coconut
    Tangerines
    Boysenberries
    Starfruit
    Brazil Nuts
    Beets
    Mustard Seed
    Rapeseed
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Brussels Sprouts
    Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage)
    Turnips
    Congo Beans
    Sword beans
    Chili peppers, red peppers, bell peppers, green peppers
    Papaya
    Safflower
    Sesame
    Eggplant
    Raspberries
    Elderberries
    Blackberries
    Clover
    Tamarind
    Cocoa
    Black Eyed Peas
    Vanilla
    Cranberries
    Tomatoes
    Grapes

Almost half of bee colonies in the US have collapsed! Pesticides seem to be the main reason...organic produce is the way to go I'm thinking.

WHAT!?!?! I am getting some beehive next week!!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I love celeriac.

I have a bunch of vegetables ready to pick -- been trying to keep up with my herbs for a while, and now have sorrel and chard looking good, lots of green beans, a few tomatoes, some peppers of various kinds, and eggplant almost ready. This in addition to my weekly farm box, so I have to get creative.
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I love celeriac.

I have a bunch of vegetables ready to pick -- been trying to keep up with my herbs for a while, and now have sorrel and chard looking good, lots of green beans, a few tomatoes, some peppers of various kinds, and eggplant almost ready. This in addition to my weekly farm box, so I have to get creative.

Panzanella is a really yummy way to use up things like the eggplant and tomatoes. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/panzanella-recipe-1944317
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    Lemon butter is a good idea. Less work than hollandaise. We normally just have vinaigrette I was thinking something buttery might make nice change.

Not that it's remotely healthy, but Ina Garten makes a STUPID EASY hollandaise sauce. We always have Eggs Benedict for Christmas breakfast...and this recipe makes life so much easier. Just be sure the butter is good and hot and add very slowly so you don't scramble your egg.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-asparagus-with-hollandaise-recipe-1920929

You can also add some tarragon for a Bernaise sauce (NOM NOM NOM)

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I love celeriac.

I cant wait for the end of the summer squash harvest and tomatoes...... ratatouille.... mmmmm... something about the last flush of tomatoes... always MUCH sweeter!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

Not that it's remotely healthy, but Ina Garten makes a STUPID EASY hollandaise sauce. We always have Eggs Benedict for Christmas breakfast...and this recipe makes life so much easier. Just be sure the butter is good and hot and add very slowly so you don't scramble your egg.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-asparagus-with-hollandaise-recipe-1920929

You can also add some tarragon for a Bernaise sauce (NOM NOM NOM)

Yeah, blender hollandaise is life-changing, fussiness-wise. :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    We made some asian salads tonight to go with some warmed up batch cooked Indonesian rendang. These salads were both great.

https://pantryno7.com/ippudo-cucumber-salad/
    I replaced the fish sauce some with instant dashi powder. This is a copycat salad for Japanese restaurant Ippudo, where it is more likely it gets it's fishy umami hit from bonito powder rather than SE Asian fish sauce.

https://pisangsusu.com/442-lalab-with-tomato/
    I skipped the oil in the dressing as I didn't think it needed it. It is important to use sambal trassi (=terassi), an Indonesian chilli paste containing fermented shrimp. If you've only got a more conventional hot sauce, add a little ground up Chinese dried shrimp, Indonesian trassi paste (be careful, a tiny bit of this fermented shrimp paste goes a long way) or a dash of SE Asian fish sauce to add a little fishy funk. It's also important to use a sweet syrupy soy such Indonesian ketjap manis.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I've made the Serious Eats version of blender hollandaise (they use an immersion blender) but found the sauce too runny for some applications and ended up returning it au bain marie to warm up further over the stove. However, as a dipping sauce for artichokes the thinner texture would probably be ideal.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Huge list of awesome here
    Almost half of bee colonies in the US have collapsed! Pesticides seem to be the main reason...organic produce is the way to go I'm thinking.

Critical little buzzers.
    Haven’t planted for them yet but did plant milkweek for the monarchs!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've really been loving brussel sprouts lately! Roasted in a pan with a little bit of oil, garlic, salt and pepper. It gets a little crispy and charred. Sometimes I drizzle with balsamic glaze. So delicious! I also really love tomatoes, green onions, butter lettuce, carrots, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, and butternut squash. I've never really cared for radishes, but maybe I need to try it a different way? I'm just not a fan of the raw stuff.

Roasted radish and turnip in lemon garlic butter changed my relationship to radishes.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Huge list of awesome here

Critical little buzzers.
    Haven’t planted for them yet but did plant milkweek for the monarchs!

If I had a garden, I'd be planting for them too:))
    and instigating that bee hive like @psychod787 proposed....

Can you all imagine a life without veggies? :o
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've made the Serious Eats version of blender hollandaise (they use an immersion blender) but found the sauce too runny for some applications and ended up returning it au bain marie to warm up further over the stove. However, as a dipping sauce for artichokes the thinner texture would probably be ideal.

Im an expert hollandaise on the stove maker. I used a bowl on top of a boiling pot of water to slow cook. I use the following recipe:

1 pat butter
    2-3 egg yolks
    Juice from one lemon
    Salt and pepper
    Tobasco sauce (I add a lot but add to flavor if you want)

I melt the butter on the oven ahead of time. After add the other ingredients constantly stirring with a fork. It’s ok if your sauce is too think...simply add a tiny bit of water and mix until you get the right consistency
  • acpgee
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »

Im an expert hollandaise on the stove maker. I used a bowl on top of a boiling pot of water to slow cook. I use the following recipe:

1 pat butter
    2-3 egg yolks
    Juice from one lemon
    Salt and pepper
    Tobasco sauce (I add a lot but add to flavor if you want)

I melt the butter on the oven ahead of time. After add the other ingredients constantly stirring with a fork. It’s ok if your sauce is too think...simply add a tiny bit of water and mix until you get the right consistency

Interesting that you use relatively little butter to eggs compared to most recipes. Will give this a try.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Interesting that you use relatively little butter to eggs compared to most recipes. Will give this a try.[/quote]

Too much butter in it has always made me feel sick. You just have to whisk it constantly when heating up to avoid a scrambled egg effect. It will thicken up a bit more, but if it’s too think simply add a tiny (less than teaspoon) of water in and mix...keep adding water to get it to the consistency you want.